Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago a good move for what I'm looking for?
No-Stick with Big Salty 4 16.67%
Yes- plenty of what you're looking for 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingToMoveYES View Post
good point Aleking, right now I'm only paying $400/month with all utilities included. Expecting that in Downtown Chicago is a joke. What is a reasonable rate for a single bedroom close to the nightlife? $800/month?
Start at $1,000 for one-bedrooms in the "hot" areas north of down town and you can find stuff. Look around Buena Park, Lakeview, Bucktown/Wicker Park. What do you do for a job? I work downtown and was easily able to sell my car when I moved here. That saves me thousands over what I would be spending if I kept the car. Thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Is this a serious question?

Salt Lake City has a couple things going for it, but nightlife is not one of them. Chicago, on the other hand, has a couple things going against it - but lack of nightlife is not one of them.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM

13 posts, read 27,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
If you mean the kind of neighborhoods where you can do serious barhopping and clubbing with hordes of 20-somethings.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't mind spending $800-1000 for a room in a shared apartment or house.

Construction industry is what I'm looking at. I will look to take public transportation to the field office for the truck. Thanks for the input. Seems like all that "nightlife comes at a price.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM

And I'm not just looking for "nightlife" I'm looking for a healthy ratio of men to women. I'm wondering if Chicago has a more balanced ratio, not the SLC 5:1 at the bars.

Phoenix has a great nightlife, but it turns out that Phoenix is heavily weighted to there being more males than females. Not as bad as salt lake city, but it's quite noticeable.

Nightlife with healthy ratio is what I'm looking for. Does Chicago have it?

Last edited by LookingToMoveYES; 03-26-2013 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't mind spending $800-1000 for a room in a shared apartment or house.

Construction industry is what I'm looking at. I will look to take public transportation to the field office for the truck. Thanks for the input. Seems like all that "nightlife comes at a price.

Do you have a lead on a job? I don't think taking public transportation to a field office to pick up a truck is necessarily going to be all that easy or quick.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Chicago is one of the top 5 nightlife cities in the US imo and top 3 for many people. Its like comparing a piece of chicken to an apple...slc vs chicago. If you want roommates, you could get that for under 800/mo in lakeview. My gf lives with one other roommate like 2.5 blocks from wrigleyville and pays 750/mo.

If you want to pay less...you could. Remember the second most extensive public transit system in the us is chicago. You could live for $100/mo less in a 7 minute train ride to lakeview. Not owning a car here is normal in many areas, not considered bad, and saves a but of money in the process process. Tons of people take public transit...ive even been on the train with our mayor before

Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
In a shared apartment or house, you can easily find what you want for that price, and probably even for significantly less. It's only if you want your own place that you'll be limited in that range in the neighborhoods you're seeking.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM

Yes, I have a solid lead. Right now just checking to see if the grass is greener on the other side. I would hate to relocate for something that isn't there.

From what you guys state, it seems to be worth the move. Then again I did post this on a Chicago forum so i'm sure it's a little biased, aha. Thanks, if I get a firm offer, I'm taking it.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Does a city with 2.7m people have more nightlife options than a city of 190k?

Maybe.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Yes, this is the Midwest and overall people tend to drink and party more than other areas of the country from what I've seen - certainly more hard core than the northeast and California. They like to party there, but if you're looking for an area where the girls don't give a crap and will go all out drinking and partying in bars - then yes, Chicago certainly has that. The ratio is fairly equal really, drinking and partying in Chicago is just as much a female activity as it is a male activity. Women here also tend to be a little more into sports and sports bars than I've noticed out east/west.

Some people come from DC, LA and NYC and see that when people go out to party in Chicago in the hot areas for young people that it can seem a little out of control and folks aren't as concerned about what they're wearing or who they're with. I've seen lots of people look down on the city for that aspect, as if it's not sophisticated enough. You can find the sophistication if you're looking for it, but at the end of the day every city and region is different, and it sounds like what Chicago has to offer is what you're looking for on a social scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago