Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM

25 posts, read 36,953 times

Advertisements

What are the neighborhoods where all the buildings are huge and the streets are crowded and all that stuff? I want neighborhoods that really feel like a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Downtown Chicago.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM

What neighborhoods is Downtown Chicago?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
What neighborhoods is Downtown Chicago?
Loop, south loop, river north(to some degree).

Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Mostly the Loop and the Near North Side (kind of a big area, but the Gold Coast, Streeterville, and River North in particular). The Loop is the main business district, crowded with businesspeople during weekdays, and right north of the river is an offshoot with lots of touristy stuff. There is also a sizable ring around downtown with light industry that's been rapidly converted to upscale housing, in the neighborhoods of River North, West Loop, and South Loop, which may or may not fit your definition of downtown.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
What are the neighborhoods where all the buildings are huge and the streets are crowded and all that stuff? I want neighborhoods that really feel like a big city.
Lots of them.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
River North

Old 11-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Mostly the Loop and the Near North Side (kind of a big area, but the Gold Coast, Streeterville, and River North in particular). The Loop is the main business district, crowded with businesspeople during weekdays, and right north of the river is an offshoot with lots of touristy stuff. There is also a sizable ring around downtown with light industry that's been rapidly converted to upscale housing, in the neighborhoods of River North, West Loop, and South Loop, which may or may not fit your definition of downtown.
Thanks man! My definition of "downtown" is the area full of high rises and bustling streets. Also with lots of shops and cool stuff to see.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
If you want bustling streets downtown, then it's various parts of River North, Gold Coast, and the areas around Michigan Avenue in Streeterville. The Loop around State Street and Michigan Ave/Millennium Park can be that too. The others parts of the Loop are only like that M-W during business hours at certain times since it's the CBD. I guess here and there parts of the South and West Loop too.

I should note this too, that to feel like a big city, you don't need tall buildings. At least to me. I've traveled to many other cities in the world, a lot larger than Chicago and larger than NYC. They're big feeling because of their density and street vibrancy, not because of how tall their buildings are. Istanbul for example is over twice as large as NYC, yet it doesn't have tons of high rises, but it feels large because of how dense it is and how many people are out on the streets all day in many parts. There are many world cities that don't have tons of skyscrapers but they still feel big and dense.

It should be noted that while Chicago has many high rises, that only 4-5% of its population lives "downtown." The area of Lake View, for example, has about 15,000 more residents than the entire area of Gold Coast, Streeterville, River North, and Old Town combined (3 of these 4 is considered "downtown" and has many high rises/skyscrapers). There are high rises along the lake in Lake View, but much of it is low rise. Various areas of there can be just as vibrant on the street as "downtown." (especially in some areas at night). This is not the only place, there's others.

I think it's an extreme common misconception that a large percentage of Chicagoans live downtown. In reality it's a pretty small percentage and while it is vibrant, there are other parts of town where you can feel street vibrancy too.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you want bustling streets downtown, then it's various parts of River North, Gold Coast, and the areas around Michigan Avenue in Streeterville. The Loop around State Street and Michigan Ave/Millennium Park can be that too. The others parts of the Loop are only like that M-W during business hours at certain times since it's the CBD. I guess here and there parts of the South and West Loop too.

I should note this too, that to feel like a big city, you don't need tall buildings. At least to me. I've traveled to many other cities in the world, a lot larger than Chicago and larger than NYC. They're big feeling because of their density and street vibrancy, not because of how tall their buildings are. Istanbul for example is over twice as large as NYC, yet it doesn't have tons of high rises, but it feels large because of how dense it is and how many people are out on the streets all day in many parts. There are many world cities that don't have tons of skyscrapers but they still feel big and dense.

It should be noted that while Chicago has many high rises, that only 4-5% of its population lives "downtown." The area of Lake View, for example, has about 15,000 more residents than the entire area of Gold Coast, Streeterville, River North, and Old Town combined (3 of these 4 is considered "downtown" and has many high rises/skyscrapers). There are high rises along the lake in Lake View, but much of it is low rise. Various areas of there can be just as vibrant on the street as "downtown." (especially in some areas at night). This is not the only place, there's others.

I think it's an extreme common misconception that a large percentage of Chicagoans live downtown. In reality it's a pretty small percentage and while it is vibrant, there are other parts of town where you can feel street vibrancy too.
This is great advise. Not to nit pick, but Istanbul is not really larger than NYC. Istanbul limits cover an area that is more than 6x larger than NYC limits, but only 1.6x larger population. NYC also has higher peak densities than Istanbul, and the NYC metro area is much larger. Istanbul is larger in the way San Antonio is larger than Boston.

Again, the above is nitpicking, your advise is spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago