Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Calling the Secretary of State's office the "DMV" is what I call TV talk and is an example of the continuing homogenization of American culture by mass media and it's use betrays a certain shallowness or at least that one has a narrow group of acquaintances. Unfortunate.
I think it has more to do with people living in several places throughout the course of their lives and having a wide group of acquaintances in many places. I don't watch TV, so I have no idea what they call it, but I would never even think to call it the "Secretary of State office" because it just sounds weird to someone who hasn't grown up here. The whole deal of having Jesse what's-his-name's name and picture on everything related to it creeps me out, too. It's like I have to go spend half a day praying at the shrine of some guy I've never heard of for my car to be legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
You do not say lets go to the park if you are going to a forest preserve. Parks are different. I never heard of caddy corner I only say kiddy corner. Always knew what a gangway was. Had an "combo" for dinner last night. (Italian beef and sausage) It was good. Loved the hot gardiniera. Even though I have lived in the burbs for years I consider myself a Chicagoan.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I guess I will have to consider myself as a transplanted Chicagoan.

I don't have any family ties to the area. No neighborhood loyalty at all. No history other than the 5 years living here at the same time I feel like I've truly been able to enjoy the city like most natives don't because of an open mind about different sides of town and a history of living in smaller cities like Charlotte, Memphis and St.Louis.
I'm sorry you're having such a lonely time here in chicago.. if that were me, I'd think where else would i want to be and then I'd go there on vacation with an eye out for "what if i were to live here". If nothing, it would most probably get you out of whatever funk you're in. Hey whenever i go off galavanting out of chicago, I sometimes dont want to return. but i have to work. But retirement is coming

Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Chicago has unique ways. Right or wrong its still Chicago. If it wasn't for the Chicago way, the city would be boring.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Hey, its called "frontchroom" not front room.

Its "gangway" not gangways" (the part between two chicago apartment buildings).

by the way, where did that "chicago accent" come from that you hear on the "sout side". Its the kind of accent they make fun of on Saturday Night Live with that bit "Da Bearss". We dont hear that on the north side. I never got that. My brother in law is from 53rd and Kedzie and he has that accent.

I call the DMV "the drivers license place" or "Elston" like "I gotta go to Elston to get my license plates" (Elston being the street its on).

We never said "ollie ollie oxen free" when we were kids.. we just stood in front of our friend's house and hollered "yo-oh Roger!" (with musicality in it).

and then we drink "pop" not soda pop.

Oh and do you know those very strange East Coasters call a pizza a "pie" like I'll take a pie. Sheesh, if anyone said that here, they'd get something with apples or cherries!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a lonely time here in chicago.. if that were me, I'd think where else would i want to be and then I'd go there on vacation with an eye out for "what if i were to live here". If nothing, it would most probably get you out of whatever funk you're in. Hey whenever i go off galavanting out of chicago, I sometimes dont want to return. but i have to work. But retirement is coming
Where did you get that I was lonely in Chicago or having a bad time from my statement? I'm in a funk?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
They're equally bad. There are exceptions to the "never end a sentence with a preposition" rule, but neither of these are among them.
It's slang Mr. English

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hey, its called "frontchroom" not front room.

Its "gangway" not gangways" (the part between two chicago apartment buildings).

by the way, where did that "chicago accent" come from that you hear on the "sout side". Its the kind of accent they make fun of on Saturday Night Live with that bit "Da Bearss". We dont hear that on the north side. I never got that. My brother in law is from 53rd and Kedzie and he has that accent.
I call the DMV "the drivers license place" or "Elston" like "I gotta go to Elston to get my license plates" (Elston being the street its on).

We never said "ollie ollie oxen free" when we were kids.. we just stood in front of our friend's house and hollered "yo-oh Roger!" (with musicality in it).

and then we drink "pop" not soda pop

Oh and do you know those very strange East Coasters call a pizza a "pie" like I'll take a pie. Sheesh, if anyone said that here, they'd get something with apples or cherries!
I posted it and wrote it that way for those who are not native Chicagoans. Gangway is between one
building - used gangways (plural) because the city if filled with them.
What about the nasal "a" did that disappear where you are? Plus you made my point about the
south side....which is part of - you know Chicago.
You can call the "DMV" whatever you want but there are other ones not just on Elston Ave.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Calling the Secretary of State's office the "DMV" is what I call TV talk and is an example of the continuing homogenization of American culture by mass media and it's use betrays a certain shallowness or at least that one has a narrow group of acquaintances. Unfortunate.
It's not "TV Talk" if you've actually spent 80% of your life in a place where it's called the DMV.

Also, "You wanna come with?" being "slang" doesn't mean it sounds any less stupid. I remember the first time I heard that thinking, "Do I wanna come with what?" It doesn't sound strange to me anymore considering its ubiquity, but it's still a silly way to phrase a sentence.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
It's not "TV Talk" if you've actually spent 80% of your life in a place where it's called the DMV.

Also, "You wanna come with?" being "slang" doesn't mean it sounds any less stupid. I remember the first time I heard that thinking, "Do I wanna come with what?" It doesn't sound strange to me anymore considering its ubiquity, but it's still a silly way to phrase a sentence.

Well, that's because you came from LA. What some people are posting who grew up here and lived here
are telling the OP their experience with this city. Really surprised by some of the comments those from
other areas who relocated and even Chicagoans.

Studs Terkel: "People are hungry for stories. It's part of our very being. Story telling is a form of
history, of immortality too. It goes from one generation to another."

So whether your from the South or North side or which terms were used in different neighborhoods,
we are only sharing our stories and history of the city most of us love and know.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Yeah, I think you just nailed what bugs me about it. I'm not an English nazi, and I actually think many forms of "bad grammar" make the language more useful and efficient. This one has the double whammy of being bad grammar as well as inefficient and irrational, though, since the word "with" is completely useless without a noun following it. If you're not going to be specific (with whom? with what?) and want to be casual, it makes way more sense to just drop the word "with" and ask, "You wanna come?"

Last edited by ChiNaan; 04-24-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago