Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
That's how you determine how close someplace is to the city? Its proximity to the university?

With the loop being a good half an hour away during rush hour, it's a wonder anyone goes to the CBD at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

Well, YOU often seem to have a reading comprehension problem on here.
Nice deflection attempt. Once again, as so many times before, you could have admitted you screwed up. (Example: "Oh, that's right, I didn't realize that area code was so close to the city.") Nobody would have had any problem with you, and we all could have moved on. People might have even thought you were smart and just made an honest mistake. (Hey, it happens to everyone.) You just couldn't have that, though. Nope. Now you get to look like an idiot. Again. Congrats.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Nice deflection attempt. Once again, as so many times before, you could have admitted you screwed up. (Example: "Oh, that's right, I didn't realize that area code was so close to the city.") Nobody would have had any problem with you, and we all could have moved on. People might have even thought you were smart and just made an honest mistake. (Hey, it happens to everyone.) You just couldn't have that, though. Nope. Now you get to look like an idiot. Again. Congrats.
Dude... Did you even read my post? I knew the 847 touched the city, thank you very much. It touches Rogers Park where my ex-girlfriend went to school.... My post was talking about being far away FROM HOME..

Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Dude... Did you even read my post? I knew the 847 touched the city, thank you very much.
Yes, you "knew" that after people pointed it out to you. Then, instead of admitting your mistake, you backpedaled and pretended you meant something else. You constantly go through extreme gymnastics to avoid admitting you were wrong, but in doing so you come off looking far worse than you ever would admitting you messed up. That's all I'm saying. Keep doing it, if you want.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Yes, you "knew" that after people pointed it out to you. Then, instead of admitting your mistake, you backpedaled and pretended you meant something else. You constantly go through extreme gymnastics to avoid admitting you were wrong, but in doing so you come off looking far worse than you ever would admitting you messed up. That's all I'm saying. Keep doing it, if you want.
Excuse me? I pointed it out to myself. I listed all 3 suburban area codes that touch the city. You're welcome.

I made no mistake. The 847 is faaaarr. I live in Flossmoor. My previous locations are all south of 183rd street. The 847 is faaar away to me. You know what's also pretty far away? Loyala University. Yep, it's IN the city but I'm still calling it "pretty far away". It's far enouh to be a long distance relationship. The last time I was north of Lincoln Park, I was driving to Wisconsin. Faaarrr awaaayy...

My posts are from a south suburban perspective.. Are you just now figuring that out?

Quote:
Evanston (the 847) does touch the north side of Chicago. However, Evanston is still close to an hour away from the University of Chicago. Des Plaines is even further away from it.

815, 630 and 224 are suburban area codes that DON'T touch Chicago. 708, 219 and 847 touch the city limits.
I'll tell you something I've learned from this thread. 224 is actually the north/northwest suburbs not Dupage County. But no one even corrected me on that. I Googled it after I said it and realized my mistake... Actually, I'm still confused as to what the 224 encompasses.

And apparently, Bensinville (the inner ring suburb that touches O'hare) is the 630. I would've assumed it was the 847 because I know Arlington Heights is the 847.

Last edited by urza216; 05-12-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
224 is a another suburban area code. When I see 224, 630 or 847, I know it's Chicagoland but pretty far away.

And btw, there's also the 219 which is, in fact, Chicagoland. Both the 219 and 815 are signicantly closer to southern Cook County than 224, 630 and 847.

815 can be either rural IL or far out suburbs..
A better wording would've been "the complete other side of the metro area from where I live and my area code". Same difference though.. I didn't think people would make a big deal out of this statement.

In my NEXT POST, I mentioned the 847 as being one of the area codes that touches the city..

Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 PM

408 posts, read 998,158 times
I consider it a kind of feat to be able to memorize all the area codes of Chicago: 847, 312, 773, 224, etc. After skimming this thread, seems more than I thought are upset by the whole thing! I never considered this an issue, don't you just put in the number and forget it? All I figure is that a phone is calling me, "somewhere from Chicagoland".

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Why do you want a 312 area code so bad? Do you not want people to know you live in the suburbs?
It is not that big a deal but the reason I wanted it is because 312 says "I am Chicago" to anybody you give your number to. And it used to be the area code of the city and the suburbs. It is what we grew up with. It is what we have fond memories of. And to be totally fair it NEVER should have been taken away from us to start with because Illinois Bell/Ameritech had the technical ability to OVERLAY 708 and all the other silly area codes OVER existing 312 numbers. As a lifelong Chicagoan, it irks me a bit that T Mobile tells me I cannot have an area code I had for years and years from the time I was born here while some smirk from Indiana can move to the Loop tomorrow and get a 312 number. But it is not a hill I want to die on either.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
It is not that big a deal but the reason I wanted it is because 312 says "I am Chicago" to anybody you give your number to. And it used to be the area code of the city and the suburbs. It is what we grew up with. It is what we have fond memories of. And to be totally fair it NEVER should have been taken away from us to start with because Illinois Bell/Ameritech had the technical ability to OVERLAY 708 and all the other silly area codes OVER existing 312 numbers. As a lifelong Chicagoan, it irks me a bit that T Mobile tells me I cannot have an area code I had for years and years from the time I was born here while some smirk from Indiana can move to the Loop tomorrow and get a 312 number. But it is not a hill I want to die on either.
I like smirks from Indiana better than 847ers. A smirk from Indiana has employed me. 847ers build mid-rise office buildings hours away from where I live.

But I regress, you're not a "lifelong Chicagoan" any more than I am. You live in the burbs..

Last edited by urza216; 05-13-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
With the loop being a good half an hour away during rush hour, it's a wonder anyone goes to the CBD at all.
No doubt. That 312 area code is way out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago