Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times

Advertisements

Do you recall the days when every Chicagoland phone number started with 312 and you only had to dial 7 digits to place a phone call anywhere in the metro area? The old days were better. 312 meant you were Chicago. Now it does not even mean the Loop anymore because this other strange number pops up (872) too. This system they have now is like the stupidest thing. You don't know who is calling you or where they are from anymore. We need to get back to only 312 or only 312/708 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Was there a reason behind them changing it, like running out of numbers?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Do you recall the days when every Chicagoland phone number started with 312 and you only had to dial 7 digits to place a phone call anywhere in the metro area? The old days were better. 312 meant you were Chicago. Now it does not even mean the Loop anymore because this other strange number pops up (872) too. This system they have now is like the stupidest thing. You don't know who is calling you or where they are from anymore. We need to get back to only 312 or only 312/708 again.
Well, you could just answer the phone and ask the person where they're calling from. Is this really an issue that comes up that much? The reason they keep adding area codes is because they run out of numbers. Any one person might have as many as four or five phone numbers between their land line, cell, work, fax, Google Voice, etc. Having multiple area codes in a metro area with 10 million people makes perfect sense to me. It's really not that confusing, and it's really not that much work to push three extra buttons when you're dialing a number.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:52 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Was there a reason behind them changing it, like running out of numbers?
The introduction of fax machines in the '80s started the run on phone numbers, and then the beeper craze kicked things into high gear. By the time cells got real big we were already broken up into about 4 area codes in Chicagoland. Before the '80s we all just dialed seven digits.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 PM

483 posts, read 842,195 times
Quote:
So what do you do when there are too many phone numbers for an area code?

Also, my phone tells me the city and state of a number when I get a call from someone not in my contacts list.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,612 times
Quote:
Do you remember when your area code was 312?
Yes, I remember that quite clearly, because my area code is still 312. Yours could be, too, if you lived in the downtown area.

Quote:
We need to get back to only 312 or only 312/708 again.
I assume you're willing to volunteer to be one of the millions of people who would need to give up their phones in order for that to happen, then?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM

359 posts, read 549,119 times
Now that fax machines, beepers, and dial-up modem lines are passe', then the only thing we have to account for now is population growth...many people dont even have old-school landlines anymore, they only have cell phones...so many numbers should be coming back into the pool...there shouldnt be any need to split area codes any more.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

359 posts, read 549,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Yes, I remember that quite clearly, because my area code is still 312. Yours could be, too, if you lived in the downtown area.

I assume you're willing to volunteer to be one of the millions of people who would need to give up their phones in order for that to happen, then?
Thing is though, I live in what is considered to be 773, but because I bought my cell phone at the Apple store on Michigan avenue, I got a 312 number, even though I didnt want that. I think they said there is a way for me to change that, but for the most part, I am happy with the number I have. Even though I do not live in the Loop.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
many people dont even have old-school landlines anymore, they only have cell phones...
Right, but they have one cell phone for each individual, whereas they used to have just one landline for the entire household. Proliferation of numbers in use isn't going to go backwards.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Thing is though, I live in what is considered to be 773, but because I bought my cell phone at the Apple store on Michigan avenue, I got a 312 number, even though I didnt want that. I think they said there is a way for me to change that, but for the most part, I am happy with the number I have. Even though I do not live in the Loop.
The 312 AC extends well beyond The Loop. It's the whole downtown area and then some, really:

312 Area Code 312 - Map, time zone, and phone lookup

You're correct, though, that there are other ways to get a specific area code without living in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago