Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,765 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago about 3 years. My family rents a house near that school. Recently I was interested in getting more information about our neighborhood and couldn't find anything. The people who live here say that it's a South Chicago but when I type in "south chicago" there are plenty of scary stories about I'd say the locations which are on the north side, near Downtown. So, my question is, are we "southside" or not? Seriously I cannot find anything about this region. There is either something about far north (downtown and around, I don't know a lot about these) or Summit, Burbank, Bedford Park, Bridgeview, Hickory Hills, etc.

The area around Midway airport isn't dangerous but it's not the place that I'd choose to live because I need more open space, no cars parked on the sides of the roads, no houses that are 3 feet away from each other, etc (my dream is Joliet or Mokena, yeah, I'd realy like to live near the trees and have a huge yard that I won't see my neighbors I like silence, too). A lot of Irish, Polish, American, Mexican (although way more of them live closer to Curie high school than over here), some Italian people live here. The black people live mostly in Summit and also near Curie high school. But many of them attend Kennedy as well. On my block there are some Polish people, some Irish, and some Mexican.

There are some little stores with Polish and Mexican food, some grammar schools, many small two-three bedroom houses, many railroads (so f*cking annoying, how many times me and my sister were swearing because we were late to school, it's like the railroads close the way out of Chicago- to Moraine College, and within Chicago-to Kennedy), some grocery stores, some libraries. Many old people live here, many of them in their 90-ies It's pretty boring here, so the teens live on weekly basement parties or use fake ids to get into the clubs on the north side. I can't wait to get out of this place. You either like it or hate it. People who love to keep long term friendships will like this place. Everyone knows each other well and I'm like "Who the hell are you talking about?", every time they're talking who's pregnant with who, who got wasted, who lost job, who got new boyfriend, who....

So, anyone who lives here and knows more than I do? What should I answer if the people ask me where do I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,557,216 times
It sounds like you live in the Clearing neighborhood. It's considered the southwest side. South Chicago is a pretty bad neighborhood way across town from you. No need to worry about it.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Now I see, thank you I looked over the map and really, the south seems to be far away. My problem was that I was looking for the wrong thing. I have to memorize that term: "official community areas" because generally I like to explore history unless school is involved

Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM

139 posts, read 380,218 times
If you give me some big street names that intersect near to where you live, I can help you out. i.e. - 76th and kedzie would be ashburn neighborhood

Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM

49 posts, read 137,712 times
Kennedy High School is around 56th and Narraganset. That area would be Garfield Ridge.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM

It's basically the region between S Harlem-S Archer-S Cicero-Midway. The known streets are also S Narragansett, Central, of course intersection of 63rd st and Narragansett and same 65th st and Narragansett or Central. The borders are from left to right: S Harlem, S Archer, S 55th st, S Cicero and 65th st. I mean these streets (Central and Narragansett because they end up at 65th st) aren't big but they have the most traffic in this little neighborhood. It's like you can't even say much anything about this place, it's just some grocery stores and plenty of single family houses, some small, old condos, few new ones. This area makes me so mad because I'm 20 and of course I want to find some guy and the places where I go with my friends who live nearby and live here for longer don't help me with that. Come on, do you have to in every frickin weekend attend a club in downtown on Friday, then go to basement party on Sat, then on Sunday drink in some Polish-highlanders' pub? What is it that the young people here hang out only when they got to drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago