Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
That person likes shade?

I can't think of any Chicago neighborhood that doesn't have trees. The difference is that some residential areas have nice big old-growth trees, while more dense areas (like downtown and near downtown) and commercial corridors tend to have smaller trees (except in parks), because there's really no place for big trees to go. My guess is that the person who made this recommendation likes areas that are a little less dense and a little more residential/suburban feeling.
Seems fair enough. I'm a sucker for old-growth, tree lined streets. There's nothing like riding my bike under a canopy of trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
The word Chicago obviously includes the whole city. The city can generally be explored without a car.

You said "You can't explore Greater Chicago without a car." Greater Chicago tends to mean well beyond the city, and into the suburbs, which is where your profile indicates that you live and where people are more likely to need a car.

These are two completely different things.
Greater Chicago says nothing about "beyond Chicago" and nothing in my post says anything about the suburbs. The term is used as a comparative to a section, neighborhood or location in Chicago. As in "the south side is more gritty and industrial than greater Chicago as a whole". The term Chicagoland is the go to terminology for the metro area. That term is wildly popular here out here in the suburbs and in most forms of Chicago media.

And yes you can explore the city without a car in a practical manner if you're limiting yourself to a few destinations or you have a lot of free time. It depends on what your objectives are.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
As I wrote in an a Bridgeport post a few minutes ago, the best way to see the city is visit an indy coffee shop, then walk around the neighborhood from there.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Take a public bus to the area, or a taxi. Then walk. Then on to the next area, and repeat steps. Over and over. Start with daytime visits. If you don't like it during the day, no need to re-visit at night.
This is good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago