Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I have a question for Irishtom. Do you remember when Paul McCartney (when he was with Wings) did a concert
in Chicago during the 70's, it could have been in 1976.
Can't help buddy, at the time I thought I was too cool to pay attention to McCartney which in retrospect was idiotic, like thinking you're too cool to like Little Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Wow I call you out on the ridiculously judgmental things you are saying and you double down, essentially saying "Yes I AM better than these other people."

Thanks for revealing to everyone on this board what an arrogant jerk you are.

Based on your inability to make arguments without resorting to stereotypes and groundless, blanket assumptions about others, you seem less intelligent than the average person in Chicago.

It's thinly veiled jealousy

Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Can't help buddy, at the time I thought I was too cool to pay attention to McCartney which in retrospect was idiotic, like thinking you're too cool to like Little Richard.
Well, thanks any way.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM

109 posts, read 239,231 times
I was born and raised on the Southside lived on 99th Street, 81st Street, 76th Street, then left the city for 5 years only to move back to the Southside in 2008 on 79th Street where I've lived the last 5 years. I've lived in the city 19 years, and burbs 5 years and I didn't mind the burbs when I was living out there but I always felt like the people were "fake" and superficial. It rubbed me wrong, the greatest thing about the Southside is the raw genuine honesty of the people. The difference is, on the Southside people are more genuine and don't pretend to love or like you, if they hate you they just tell you to your face. In the burbs, people hate you from a distance and just are never really upfront with you. There's just too much "pretend".

I liked the burbs when I was there but when I moved back home to the Southside I never really missed the burbs or wanted to go back to the burbs again. When I visit the suburb I used to live in for those 5 years, it feels foreign and impersonal as if I never lived there at all. This is despite my home in the burb being the biggest house I'd ever lived in and the safest area I'd ever lived in. But I still like my small ass city home here on 79th, with my small ass city room, and other amenities I lost moving back because I always was a city guy at heart and the suburbs with all these amenities were just "missing" something. I don't know if I could ever stomach living in the burbs again, when I have kids I'd rather just move off 79th Street to another neighborhood/block in the city then leave Chicago.

Last edited by SouthsideTillIDie; 06-19-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Southside, I know plenty of people living out in Tinley, Orland, Plainfield, Romeo etc. with South Side roots and more old style "here's a sawbuck buddy, go f*** yourself" Chicago attitude than many city people.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
I didn't mind the burbs when I was living out there but I always felt like the people were "fake" and superficial. It rubbed me wrong, the greatest thing about the Southside is the raw genuine honesty of the people. The difference is, on the Southside people are more genuine and don't pretend to love or like you, if they hate you they just tell you to your face. In the burbs, people hate you from a distance and just are never really upfront with you. There's just too much "pretend".
What you consider "fake" others might consider "civilized". Perhaps hating someone yet being able to take their feelings into consideration by not telling them to their face is indicative of having class and good manners.

By the same token, what you consider "genuine" might be perceived by many as boorish and rude.

I, for one, have no desire to live in a world where everyone is brutally "honest" all the time. To me that would be like living in hell on earth.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Wow I call you out on the ridiculously judgmental things you are saying and you double down, essentially saying "Yes I AM better than these other people."

Thanks for revealing to everyone on this board what an arrogant jerk you are.

Based on your inability to make arguments without resorting to stereotypes and groundless, blanket assumptions about others, you seem less intelligent than the average person in Chicago.
I disagree with you.. He is comparing the people who lived before us, who made great accomplishments, and who left a great legacy, compared to now, a great accomplishment is some kind of beer drinking game.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I disagree with you.. He is comparing the people who lived before us, who made great accomplishments, and who left a great legacy, compared to now, a great accomplishment is some kind of beer drinking game.
Many say that the most revolutionary technological development of the 21st Century so far is the smart phone. And it does a great job of solving the seemingly frivolous problems of childless 20-something people, like where to find good late night eats or how to hail a cab. Meanwhile, if you are a top student at a top university, you are more often recruited by wealth generators/managers like Goldman Sachs instead of a company that actually produces something useful.

The energies of our smartest people are not being directed towards solving the world's problems.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
What I got out of Chet's post was that the current crop of residents couldn't have built Chicago.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
What I got out of Chet's post was that the current crop of residents couldn't have built Chicago.
Isn't this just another one of those "kids sucks these days" rants that all old people say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago