Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 36,307 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be graduating from college with a bachelor's degree this coming May and plan to go to grad school part-time hopefully at either Loyola (Water Tower Capmus) or St. Xavier Univ. and work full-time in the Chicago area in the fall. I would like to live in the city near the lake but am not 100% sure if I would feel safe being single and living alone especially in the areas I can possibly afford like East Rogers Park and some parts of Hyde Park which I fell in love with Hyde Park after visiting a few times because of its richness in cultural diversity among most areas of Chicago but saw that the surrounding areas are a bit rough. I'm also bringing my car and see that parking is nearly impossible in the city unless you want to pay like $150 to $200/mo. with your rent which I know I can't afford just coming out of college so I'm also looking at the suburbs. I can see myself living in either Bolingbrook, Woodridge, or Naperville to name a few. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for all of the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 02:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
If you can afford some parts of Hyde Park, you should be able to afford other areas that are safer.

If you are going to live in the burbs to commute, you are going to spend just as much money,if not a hell of a lot more for parking than if you lived in congested areas of the city,if you go to school at the Water Tower campus.

If you are going to go to St. Xavier, then Hyde Park might not be a bad choice for commute time. But I would recommend some of the southwest burbs instead.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
What is your price range? This would help.
Also, some areas do have parking for the price that you mentioned, however, there are other areas of the city that you can find street parking in. For instance, I lived in West Lakeview and could park with 1/2 block of my apartment everytime. If you are working and going to school full-time in Chicago, you are not going to enjoy any of the commutes you mentioned. I would strongly suggest finding a place in the city (again, we can help if you provide a price range) or the nearby burbs of Oak Park or Evanston.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks, Avengerfire! I'll start looking at different apartments in both the burbs and the city starting late Jan. early Feb. so I can move in by mid-June or early July no later than August when classes start. Wish me luck!

Old 12-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Jessie_girl98, thanks for your input as well! My price range for an apt. is $500 to $1,000/mo. with assigned parking or plenty of street parking close by my apt. so I won't have to go find one 2 blocks over especially late at night. As I told Avengerfire, I'll be looking at different apts. in both the city and in a few of the southwest burbs later next month or early Feb. to see which one I'll like the best but to be honest I'd rather live in the city to get that experience since I'm from a small town in central illinois and living in a big city has always been my dream. Most of my friends from my hometown moved up there and live throughout the city and burbs so when I do go apt. hunting I'll grab one of them to go look with me to get some familiar insight as well. Thanks so much again and I'll keep you all posted!

Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
There are tons of areas in the city that you would be perfectly safe. Downtown of course is one, but a bit pricey, so that said, maybe look in Lakeview, Lincoln Park (again a bit pricey), Ravenswood, Bucktown, Uptown, Albany Park, Roscoe, Wicker Park, and on the south side; check out Garfield Ridge and Clearing and even many parts of Archer Heights. http://www.dreamtown.com/images/maps/chicago-neighborhood-map.gif (broken link)

In the burbs there are too many safe areas to name. Remember Naperville isn't cheap and its because it has so many amenities and great jobs nearby, but if you can afford it, its a great place to live. I know I have promoted my hometown many times on this board, but that is because it also is VERY much like Naperville with tons of shopping, eatting places, good schools, safe, etc, yet is often forgotten about on this board because this board is almost soley geared/spoken of by northsiders/Dupage County people it seems, but anyways check out Orland Park and also Tinley Park, both of which are car towns, so if you have a car you are set. They also have Metra running in and out of both of them directly into the Loop. You might also want to check out some of the condos/apartments along 95th St in historic Oak Lawn. There are some new apts/condos right near their train station that are very nice.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM

356 posts, read 542,601 times
In my opinion, for your budget you would be better off finding a roommate to move in with and lease a parking space and live downtown, Lakeview, or LP. Who wants to live alone anyway?

You still will have to pay for the young person's essentials (YPE) cell phone, cable, internet, eating out, pub crawling, $5.00 coffees- plus utilities. Check with your friends or start a posting on www.craigslist.com -- just be safe and careful...

Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM

38 posts, read 137,199 times
I recommend NortHalsted as a very safe neighborhood to be a single woman. It is boys' town and I lived there for years - while I went to Loyola's WTC just after graduating with my BA - just like you! The Belmont el stop was so convenient. I second the "get a roommate" idea. Your money will go so much further. However, you can look at some of the studios and they might be in your price range. You have to pay for parking, though, because on-street is very crowded. I wouldn't be surprised if you found you didn't need your car. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiant_one View Post
Jessie_girl98, thanks for your input as well! My price range for an apt. is $500 to $1,000/mo. with assigned parking or plenty of street parking close by my apt. so I won't have to go find one 2 blocks over especially late at night. As I told Avengerfire, I'll be looking at different apts. in both the city and in a few of the southwest burbs later next month or early Feb. to see which one I'll like the best but to be honest I'd rather live in the city to get that experience since I'm from a small town in central illinois and living in a big city has always been my dream. Most of my friends from my hometown moved up there and live throughout the city and burbs so when I do go apt. hunting I'll grab one of them to go look with me to get some familiar insight as well. Thanks so much again and I'll keep you all posted!
Good luck. Keep us posted and ask us if you need more help.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
There are tons of areas in the city that you would be perfectly safe. Downtown of course is one, but a bit pricey, so that said, maybe look in Lakeview, Lincoln Park (again a bit pricey), Ravenswood, Bucktown, Uptown, Albany Park, Roscoe, Wicker Park, and on the south side; check out Garfield Ridge and Clearing and even many parts of Archer Heights. http://www.dreamtown.com/images/maps/chicago-neighborhood-map.gif (broken link)

In the burbs there are too many safe areas to name. Remember Naperville isn't cheap and its because it has so many amenities and great jobs nearby, but if you can afford it, its a great place to live. I know I have promoted my hometown many times on this board, but that is because it also is VERY much like Naperville with tons of shopping, eatting places, good schools, safe, etc, yet is often forgotten about on this board because this board is almost soley geared/spoken of by northsiders/Dupage County people it seems, but anyways check out Orland Park and also Tinley Park, both of which are car towns, so if you have a car you are set. They also have Metra running in and out of both of them directly into the Loop. You might also want to check out some of the condos/apartments along 95th St in historic Oak Lawn. There are some new apts/condos right near their train station that are very nice.

Thanks for the advice! I have a feeling that I'll end up moving to the suburbs since I plan on taking my car and it's very hard to find a decent place in the city when you want to bring up your car. I've heard of Oak Lawn and that it's a pretty nice area and right next to St. Xavier Univ. if I don't get into Loyola. I even thought of Evanston but it's too pricey for me right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago