Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

I looked on Craigslist to see what pops up at $400.. i found nothing. rents in the city for a decent apartment may have to be $700 or $800,,

the only thing you will get at $400 is a flop house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I looked on Craigslist to see what pops up at $400.. i found nothing. rents in the city for a decent apartment may have to be $700 or $800,,

the only thing you will get at $400 is a flop house.
Sometimes it's a good base, but you have to realize that many buildings (perhaps most in the city) are actually not online. Sometimes to find the really cheap stuff you have to walk/drive around areas and call the numbers because they won't be online anywhere.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
$400 a month just seems really low for anything in a relatively safe neighborhood without roommates.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
I won't say it's impossible, but it's going to require extreme persistence and not a small amount of luck to find such a place. Far northwest side might be your best bet.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
$400 a month will get you a horrible neighborhood and roaches.

Having been in property management for many years, I can tell you that you won't find CHIT in Chicago for $400 that you'd want to live. Get a roommate or two, and there are ways to find and screen people, and also agencies that will find you both a good place to live.

Even the far NW side is not gonna get you an apt. for that amount. It's just not doable in this city anymore. Again, unless you want to live with creepy crawlies, and that's not talkin' about the roaches.

Maybe you'll end up finding someone who already HAS a place, and just needs a roomie. Work done!

Screen THEM before you move in. And use a reputable screening agency!!!!

bullie~

Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
There is an SRO on near Lake and Central for $400. You're most likely not getting an apartment for that amount.

If that is your budget, you can afford an SRO or live with a roommate. There are plenty of other SRO buildings in better areas than Austin.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 29,316 times
If you can up your rent budget to $525-600 your options for studios in a variety of neighborhoods generally increases.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoviv View Post
If you can up your rent budget to $525-600 your options for studios in a variety of neighborhoods generally increases.
Efficiency, MAYBE, but not a Studio..... not in any area I'D wanna live..... And that's ME. I would want safety, clean units, great management, transportation nearby, tons of restaurants/bars/ENERGY around me.

*not NOW.... but, yanno... back "THEN". lol

Hell man..... for anything LESS than $750, yer gonna get what you pay for, IN CHICAGO. And that's not much. Sorry.... *ex property manager here... and HATING to type all this crap out, about the rents in this city.*

GO NORTHWEST in the city.......... near the expressway and the Blue Line and Metra, or part of Rogers Park that you feel safe, ALSO near public trans.... or pay for a cubicle that prolly has to be sprayed for bugs every month.

*OK I just got a shiver up my spine* AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET a great REALTOR, NOT an apartment rental service, and find out from THEM, *after schmoozing them a bit, and maybe boozing them a bit*, and then see where you land.

Yup. It's like that.

bullie~

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM

528 posts, read 712,261 times
Just some advice, don't use textspeak when inquiring about properties. Nobody is going to take you seriously and reply to you.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Just some advice, don't use textspeak when inquiring about properties. Nobody is going to take you seriously and reply to you.
Wha? How about the person looking for information actually make a PHONE call, and speak to a representative of the company, before heading out.

And yeah as far as "text speak".... it truly is the bane of my existence. Anyone who feels that is acceptable communication will never get my vote for President.

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago