Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM

51 posts, read 327,983 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 and am considering moving from HotLanta to another major city in the U.S. I absolutely hate it here. I've recently looked into Chicago and it seems like terrific city to live in. Mass trans, major sports, fine dining, architecture, technological with a lot of history, attitude and culture. I also like it because it's in the Midwest region and close to Michigan, my home state GO Red Wings! But I want a resident's sentiment on the city. What is living in Chicago really like?

Is it really gang infested like a lot of people say? There are gangs and hoods here in Atlanta but I personally think they're a joke compared to Chicago, NYC and LA.

Where can I rent a nice reasonably priced apartment/condo? Not directly in the downtown area but not too far away, maybe a 30 minute to a hour commute on the subway. Close to a train station or bus stop and a grocery store in a nice, safe neighborhood.

What are some good colleges and universities? I'm thinking of getting a B.S. degree in geology/earth science or chemistry.

What attractions are there in Chicago?

Good libraries? I LOVE to read.

How's the job market? I have experience in customer service, janitorial work, supervisory.

Outdoor activities?

Diversity compared to Atlanta? I'm black but I grew up with a mix of different colors of people so I like diversity. In Atlanta there's way too many blacks. I'm not racist against my own people but I just like being around people of different color. Black + black tends to = problems.

Science and history museums?

How open is Chicago to Atheists or non religious people? I'm open with my Atheism but I don't go flashing it around everywhere.

Cost of living compared to Atlanta?

Malls to shop at?

CTA vs MARTA, cost, commuting time?

Weather? I've heard it's humid in Chicago but when compared to Atlanta humidity how bearable or unbearable is it? I know it gets snow there but snow is nothing, I'm from Michigan

Please give me some good informative answers. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
What is living in Chicago really like?
I think it depends on what you make of it, what your world is, what neighborhood you're in, etc. It can be a really, really great place to live in but if you are in the wrong area under the wrong circumstances, you can hate it (really that's true of anywhere).

Quote:
Is it really gang infested like a lot of people say? There are gangs and hoods here in Atlanta but I personally think they're a joke compared to Chicago, NYC and LA.
Chicago probably has the highest population of gang members of any city in the US, but it's pretty segregated to certain areas. While a gang member can

Quote:
Where can I rent a nice reasonably priced apartment/condo? Not directly in the downtown area but not too far away, maybe a 30 minute to a hour commute on the subway. Close to a train station or bus stop and a grocery store in a nice, safe neighborhood.
The north side is often seen as the yuppified area of town, although this isn't true for the whole thing. So if you want a 1 bedroom 30 minutes away from "downtown" near a train, it could cost you hmm $850/month on upwards (probably close to $900-$1000). If you have roommates then hell, I know people with 3 other roommates who pay around or even under $600. A former gf of mine paid $575/month for a place in Lincoln Square/North Center with one other roommate which is on a train line and 30 minutes away - two of the top 5 or so safest neighborhoods in the city. Then, $750/month in Lakeview (a hot neighborhood for young people) with another roommate about 3 blocks from Wrigley Field (where the Cubs play) and tons of restaurants, shops, and bars all short walks away.

Quote:
What are some good colleges and universities? I'm thinking of getting a B.S. degree in geology/earth science or chemistry.
U of Chicago is one of the top...5 or 7 universities in the entire world. Northwestern is probably top 25. Other than that, there are ones like U of Illinois-Chicago, DePaul, Loyola University - Illinois, Roosevelt, Columbia College, Harry S Truman College, Northeastern Illinois, Robert Morris U, etc etc.

Quote:
A lot. There's a lot of big and small museums for example. The Art Institute of Chicago I believe is the 2nd largest art museum in the country after the Met in NYC. The Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, the museums at U of Chicago (like Oriental Institute) are other big museums but also smaller ones like National Museum of Mexican Art, Museum of Contemporary Art, Museum of Contemporary Photography, etc.

Chicago is also home to one of the top 3 food scenes in the country so there's that, tons of bars/lounges/clubs, and also some great live music (blues and jazz) places. Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Grant Park, Lincoln Park, all the neighborhoods, all major professional sports, random events of whatever it is, etc.

Honestly, and no offense to this one but you can Google this and find better answers.

Quote:
I can't speak for all of them, but the one in the Loop - Harold Washington Library - is the largest public library in the country I believe.

Quote:
How's the job market? I have experience in customer service, janitorial work, supervisory.
Really depends on what you're going into. For some markets, it's great and for others - not so great. I can't speak for your specific stuff.

Quote:
Outdoor activities?
Well, this isn't like the pacific NW or anything, but there's some to do. There are actually 30+ beaches in Chicago that are very popular in the warm months so there's that. There's a river that runs through the city and you can kayak/canoe, etc on it. Chicago is on a huge lake which is more like an inland sea (if you were to just look - it *looks* like it's an ocean because you can't see land to the horizon).

For stuff like skiing and what not, you aren't going to do that in the city, but there's ski/snowboard areas in northern Illinois and Wisconsin a short drive away. Some other national parks with hiking and what not. Chicago is prettttty damn flat though, so no hiking, mountains, etc but there is a little outdoors.

Quote:
Diversity compared to Atlanta? I'm black but I grew up with a mix of different colors of people so I like diversity. In Atlanta there's way too many blacks. I'm not racist against my own people but I just like being around people of different color. Black + black tends to = problems.
On the overall level, Chicago is more diverse than Atlanta for sure. Chicago can be pretty segregated though - there are a lot of black people here too (though not nearly as high a percentage as Atlanta) but there's areas where it's 95% or more black. There are pretty integrated areas though (like Albany Park, Uptown, Rogers Park, increasingly Bridgeport believe it or not, Hyde Park, etc) and that's improving. There's probably people here from most (not all) countries in the world (I mean all countries, not just the large ones).

Quote:
Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago History Museum, Field Museum kind of, Art Institute is kinda history in a way? etc

Quote:
How open is Chicago to Atheists or non religious people? I'm open with my Atheism but I don't go flashing it around everywhere.
I am atheist/agnostic and have friends who are. I really don't think twice about speaking my mind in some areas personally. Actually most people I know don't go to church here ever.

Quote:
Atlanta is cheaper, but not by a ton unless you want to live in a luxury high rise downtown. The thing most people don't realize either is you can get away without having a car in Chicago (I do it and many others do). So really if you think about it..

If you have a rent of $1000/month in Chicago and $100/month in unlimited CTA and in Atlanta it's $750/month but you pay $150/month for gas, $50/month for insurance, and you have a car payment of $200/month...then Chicago is actually cheaper by $50/month. If you own your car in this situation, then Chicago is more expensive by $150/month, not $250/month at least transit + housing.

According to this link, Atlanta is 11% cheaper than Chicago: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Quote:
Malls to shop at?
LOL, Chicago has malls, but you have to understand the urban fabric. In Chicago in many areas, you walk outside and you have tons of options to choose from. Chicago doesn't have a ton of malls because it doesn't need them. Store are built into the fabric of the city itself in many areas. It's urban, not suburban-ish like a lot of Atlanta is. Think of how NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc are. That's how Chicago is in many areas. In areas like Atlanta which are not nearly as Urban, you don't have that on average. This place is famous here:

Magnificent Mile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mall culture is not popular here, but there's a ton of shopping here.

Quote:
CTA is much, much, much, much, much times 10 more extensive than MARTA. CTA is the 2nd largest transit system in the US after NYC's. If you want an unlimited monthly pass, it's $100/month. Otherwise, a single ride is $2.25 and you can do 25 cent transfers up to 2 hours of reading the card. After that it resets and it's $2.25 again.

Quote:
Weather? I've heard it's humid in Chicago but when compared to Atlanta humidity how bearable or unbearable is it? I know it gets snow there but snow is nothing, I'm from Michigan
Michigan on average gets more snow than Chicago by a little bit and it's on average a little colder. Humidity, it can get pretty humid here but I'm pretty sure Atlanta is worse.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Chicago is a great city. If offers the best and the worse of life and it's all bundled in a nice package.

Where you live can make or brake your stay here. Before I make recommendations on where to live, I would recommend doing your own research. I would not recommend living in a neighborhood over 80 percent one race and minimum 10 to 15 percent black. What's a good neighborhood for a white college graduate is not necessarily a good option for you. In Chicago there are a few areas where the Black professional class integrates with others.

With that being said, I would rate Hyde Park, South Loop, Edgewater high on your list. Bronzville , North Kenwood is worth a look.

Crime is an issue here just like it is in any city. Know where your at and know the people in your surroundings. Some of the neighborhoods are very large so make your research block by block.

I've enjoyed living on Chicago for obvious reasons but I will also say it's because of my neighborhood associating with quality people and making an effort to enjoy all parts of the city.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
I'm 21 and am considering moving from HotLanta to another major city in the U.S. I absolutely hate it here. I've recently looked into Chicago and it seems like terrific city to live in. Mass trans, major sports, fine dining, architecture, technological with a lot of history, attitude and culture. I also like it because it's in the Midwest region and close to Michigan, my home state GO Red Wings! But I want a resident's sentiment on the city. What is living in Chicago really like?
It's amazing, that's why I moved here.

Quote:
Chicago does have a gang problem, but the shootings that have been all over the news have happened in specific neighborhoods and areas of the city, for the most part. The whole city is not a warzone or anything. Avoid those neighborhoods, and you'll just have to worry about common city problems, like muggings, your car getting broken into, etc.

Quote:
A lot of places, actually. Chicago is very inexpensive compared to other American cities close to its size. It'll mostly depend on what sort of neighborhood you're interested in, what train line you want to live off of, how much you're willing to spend, etc.

Quote:
I couldn't tell you exactly what university is offering what major, but here's US News and World Report's national rankings list, and where Chicago's universities fell:

#4: University of Chicago
#12: Northwestern University (its primary campus is in Evanston)
#106: Loyola University Chicago
#113: Illinois Institute of Technology
#134: DePaul University
#147: University of Illinois - Chicago

etc, etc.

I personally went to Loyola, and I knew many people who majored in one of the sciences, like biology or chemistry. I'm not so certain on geology though.

Quote:
Not to be vague, but a lot. Baseball games (two different teams), football games, hockey games, etc. There's all the touristy stuff like Navy Pier, shopping on Michigan Ave and State St, a wide variety of ethnic food establishments and upscale restaurants, etc, etc.

Quote:
Yep
Chicago Public Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
This I can't really help you on. Sorry.

Quote:
Outdoor activities?
With Lake Michigan right there, you can enjoy one of Chicago's beaches, or go jogging or biking down the lakefront.

Quote:
Chicago is about 1/3 black, a 1/3 white, and 1/3 Hispanic. About 18% of the city's population is also foreign born.

Quote:
For science, the big draw is going to be Museum of Science and Industry. For history it would be the Field Museum, and, even though you didn't mention art, you really should visit the Art Institute. There are also plenty of smaller museums throughout the city as well.

Quote:
People don't care. Period. I went to a Jesuit Catholic University, and everyone I know has lapsed or become agnostic at this point. The people who were religious generally weren't in your face about it either.

Quote:
I've never been to Atlanta, so I couldn't give you exact figures, but I would assume more expensive. Chicago is, of course, a lot a bigger.

Quote:
Malls to shop at?
There aren't really a lot of malls. Most stores are open onto the street, although there are a few malls on Michigan Ave like Water Tower (it's department store is Macy's). Nordstrom and Bloomingdales also have malls attached to their department stores as well. Most of the stores on Michigan open onto the sidewalk though, and you have everything from Chanel to Gap. State St, over in the Loop, also has a lot of shopping setup in a similar way.

Also, there are free standing clothing stores and boutiques throughout the city. For example, there's quite a lot in certain neighborhoods on the northside.

Quote:
Like I've said, I've never been to Atlanta, but I would assume that the CTA is more expensive. The CTA is $2.25 a ride, with exchanges being 25¢ (I think). The city also sells day passes, 3 day passes, 7 day passes, and 30 day passes. I know the 3 day is $20, and the 30 is $100. Also, the universities give you a U-pass if you plan on enrolling. It's one of your fees. They'll be good for a full semester.

Quote:

Please give me some good informative answers. Thanks.
I honestly don't find Chicago to be all that bad in terms of humidity, but you may wish to speak to someone who is a native of the city, and not a transplant like myself. I'm originally from the St. Louis area, so my idea of bad humidity is far worse than all of my friends' opinions who are either from the city or the suburbs.

Chicago's winter's still knock me on my butt though, but you being from Michigan means that you should be alright.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 07-19-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 465,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I honestly don't find Chicago to be all that bad in terms of humidity, but you may wish to speak to someone who is a native of the city, and not a transplant like myself. I'm originally from the St. Louis area, so my idea of bad humidity is far worse than all of my friends' opinions who are either from the city or the suburbs.
I havent moved to Chicago yet, but when I went for a program with the professional services firm I will be working for, a lot of the natives were complaining about how humid its been. I sort of rolled my eyes at that, because I come from the beautiful "sunshine state" of Florida, where we have three seasons: hot, humid, and raining.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 PM

80 posts, read 130,509 times
My first post here, but long time lurker. I grew up outside of Atlanta, near Columbus. My family was Army so that's where we were stationed. I thought I'd register and post since I feel a kinship with people from Georgia and thought I'd provide some insight into my Chicago experience.

Quote:
Chicago is exactly that. A massive metropolis with much to offer. If your list is what you're looking for, Chicago is definitely at the top of the list of US cities for such living. NYC would be #1, in my opinion, but Chicago is affordable and a little more laid back.

I'll echo the comments of Chicago being what you make of it.

Quote:
Check out chicagogangs.org and Google the Chicago Gang map.

Yes, there are tens of thousands of gang members and they seem to be the ones perpetrating the violence that's all over the news, but they are largely confined to certain neighborhoods. I live in Logan Square and I see gang graffiti (Orchestra Albany gang which is affiliated with the Folks) in the alleyways, but I've never seen any gangbangers in person around here. They must be small in numbers and lurk in the shadows. Perhaps there is crime associated with this gang in my area, but it's never a concern to me.

If you avoid the hotspots like Austin, Englewood, Garfield Park, etc. where crime, poverty, drug trade, prostitution, urban blight, and gang warfare exists everyday, you'll be just fine. If you want to have nothing to do with the bangers, that's entirely up to you and possible.

Quote:
There are many options. I live in Logan Square and work in River West. My ride on the Blueline is about 15 minutes. Another 10 minutes and I'll be in the Loop.

We also have many bus lines that will take you where you want to go. They run every 10 to 20 minutes on average, some with reduced hours at night.

A quick list of cool neighborhoods that fit the bill: Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Logan Square, University Village. I dont know...there's alot of options.

Quote:
Farmer's markets all over, retail shopping, music/concerts nearly every night of the week, stand-up comedy clubs, endless restaurants (Chicago is a big food city), museums, park events, special city events, Lollapalooza, Pitchfork, Riot Fest, film festivals, etc.

Quote:
CPL is rather good, in my opinion. Acquiring a library card is a must. CPL has a good selection of ebooks, lectures, and workshops, if that's your thing, as well.

Quote:
I'm a working class guy and I'm doing alright. My work is steady, if not the best paying. But I'm able to afford a good life by working hard and maintaining a simple budget.

Quote:
Outdoor activities?
This is the weak spot of Chicago. It's pretty much confined to Lake Michigan, running, casual team sports, and cycling for example. Dont expect to go rock climbing on the weekends unless it's located inside a gym. There are a multitude of forest preserves outside of the city, but it's not like the forests of Georgia.

Quote:
Chicago is very diverse. And it's reflected in our food options. You can eat Thai one night, grab some Puerto Rican street food the next, buy some great produce in an Asian grocery later on, and go on a date to a nice Greek restaurant.

Chicago is rather segregated, however. It's almost by neighborhood and street lines. But some neighborhoods are very mixed.

Quote:
Hell yeah, we got those.

Quote:
I honestly know very few religious people. And the ones that are religious are on the liberal, openminded, non-fundamental side of things or they've gone into the Eastern yoga-meditation-zen kinda thing. I'm sure there are some fundamentalist types around, but it's not anything like the South. The Evangelical culture thing is very minimal, if it even exists in the city. Random people honestly dont care what your beliefs are.

Most people I encounter are Atheist, Agnostic, or simply not into belief systems whatsoever. I'm personally not interest in any -Ism. I do just fine and it's not even something I ever have to think about living here.

Quote:
I never made it to Atlanta, but the previous comments seem about right. Chicago is affordable, or rather, you get what you pay for in Chicago.

Quote:
Malls to shop at?
Malls? What are those? Ha.

There are malls out in the suburbs and maybe a few in the big shopping areas, but those are places you can definitely avoid due to all of the little walk-in shops everywhere.

That's the thing about Chicago that's different from Atlanta. You'll definitely walk more. I think that kind of density is awesome. Of course, you'll curse that in come February, but whatever -- the winters make you stronger!

Quote:
I have been car-free since 2004. I ride CTA regularly and I bicycle to work in the spring and summer. I think I can get to most places I want to get to within 15-40 mins on average. I spend maybe $10 a week on CTA during the nice months and maybe $20 during winter.

I only really take cabs home after drinking at bars. That's a safe choice. Cab fare is usually no more than $15 for me.

Quote:
Chicago is a four season type of place. We get full on Ice Age winter from Christmas to early March. April showers. May through June is magical -- the springs are very nice and mild and it seems like the entire city is out having fun -- of course springs are always too short. Summers are hot and sticky and sometimes unbearable. The Fall is crisp and leaves change colors.

Just think of the archetypal four seasons...and that's what we get.

I hope that helps. Hope you make it up here man!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Default Chicago Native Living in Atlanta...and Wants Out!

Atlanta is getting expensive and many areas, even in the burbs are starting to cost as much as Chicago and you don't get remotely the same level of amenities.

Marothisu did a great job breaking things down as he always does.

Having lived in both cities, I will say this:

-Chicago's libraries are awesome. Atlanta's libraries suck.
-Chicago's transit is awesome. Atlanta's transit sucks.
-Chicago's attractions are awesome and never get boring. Atlanta's attractions suck.

When Atlantan's speak of the great colleges here, there are only referring to Emory, GSU and Georgia Tech. Chicago and its suburbs have dozens, upon dozens of great colleges to choose from. Chicagoland also has WAY more community colleges than Atlanta. Way more!

Chicago may be more expensive but really not by much as has been pointed out. Also while people claim Atlanta is cheaper for cost of living, you are nickle and dimed on everything else, including entertainment and cultural events, as Atlanta has very few free events or festivals and the so-called attractions that are here are lame, overpriced one-stop shops. Once you've done certain attractions here, they are not worth spending money to do again because they are sub-par at best. Atlanta gets very boring very fast if you are on a budget but would like to do other activities outside eating and drinking. It even costs money to swim in a public pool in metro Atlanta. It's free in Chicago. At least it was when I lived there. I hadn't heard of having to pay to use a pool or tennis court in a public park until I moved here.

Chicago is a place that just the beauty, architecture, lake, free days at the museums, and free events and festivals, you can see and do a lot and not spend a lot of money. Just walking around and exploring the city can be lots of fun.

Atlanta just put a ferris wheel downtown. They brag in Atlanta that they beat out Chicago because the ferris wheel here is bigger (how about Chicago had a ferris wheel 120 years ago and was the first city to have one), but it only has views of a parking lot, buildings and trees (unlike the view of the lake and the skyline you get for only $6 on Navy Pier's wheel). They are charging $14 to ride it and have a VIP gondola with leather seats that they are charging $50 to ride in lol. LAME!

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 07-19-2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
I absolutely adore Chicago!! Born and raised and still live in San Francisco it is my next city of choice! You will not be disappointed. I have visited Chicago four times while I've visited other cities only once or twice so that tells you on how Chicago has a draw for visitors like myself. Clark St. has an abundance of independent shops, good eateries, record shops (Dave's Records is my favorite) and a Hot Dog joint that had the best roasted hot dog I've ever tasted! Can't remember the name of the place but it didn't have tables just some stools along side a counter top to eat.

The museum of science and industry is the best museum I've ever set foot in (though the academy of Sciences in GGP is good to!). The Field Museum was very impressive as well.

You will be very happy there!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
There is only one downside to Chicago and that is the weather. If you don't mind the cold, it's a great city!

Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
There is only one downside to Chicago and that is the weather. If you don't mind the cold, it's a great city!
I'd agree with this. Maybe this is because I'm a native but when I lived there the weather didn't bother me and there was always so much to see and do that no matter what the weather was, I was always out about going shopping and going places and doing things.

Atlanta may not get as cold and doesn't have the same amount of snow, but its weather--particularly its constant rain--and when it does snow, becomes a big safety concern for me. There are lots of trees here and it rains in Atlanta more than it rains in Seattle. As a result of this, trees are constantly falling down on people's homes, into the streets, onto to power lines and it's not at all unheard of for people to be sitting in traffic in Atlanta and get crushed to death by falling trees which begin cracking and toppling over after heavy rainfalls quite regularly. People also get struck and killed by lightening a lot here too. Also, metro Atlanta's power grid can't handle the weather because there are constant power outages when it rains and you can be without power for two or three days. Trees either fall on the lines or transformers blow. Even in sunny weather we lose power a lot in Atlanta.

Also whenever Atlanta does get a little snow or ice, the roads become unsafe because they don't have the salt trucks to salt the streets, so the city shuts down for days and there are lots of car accidents because Georgia drivers are horrible as it is and they don't know how to drive in snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago