Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I sorta look like Tiger Woods (except that I'm not African-American, or Native American, or Asian, or in as good of shape, or as tall, and I have a beard and blue eyes).
ChiNaan, you're white though. Replin_the_847 is like Indian or Arab or something.

I have CLOSE friends that are white, black and Mexican. If I'm talking about race, it's probably NOT with one of my white friends. I mean, I only have like 5 people I consider real friends. And they're white, black and Mexican...

You are the company you keep.

A few months ago, my friend had his birthday party at a bar in the south suburbs. There was a Facebook picture I took and it was funny because I later pointed out that all 4 people in this picture are a different race. A Mexican, a black guy, a white guy and my white friends wife who is Asian. I actually have had a falling out with the white guy in that picture but at the time, these were CLOSE friends.

This is also why I have trouble takin this thread too seriously. Ultimately, you guys can keep on complaining on the Internet about how things are around here and I'll continue to live my life that flies in the face of these claims.. It doesn't have to be serious business.

Last edited by urza216; 08-10-2013 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,358 times
It's a fact that people will self-segregate themselves. I'm not sure that will ever change. And it's not JUST race. It's social status, religion, and other factors.

Put a large crowd of people into a spacious facility, and they will slowly turn into multiple groupings.

While we are social creatures, we are social creatures with people we think we can identify with - and race is normally one small aspect of the matters we pay attention to - which includes how someone dresses, how friendly they are, what their age is, and a whole host of other factors. It's almost all instinctive.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
Everywhere I go, I see minorities. On public transportation, in stores, in bars, and in restaurants. Is it the housing? How is segregation in Chicago measured?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
This doesn't make sense, Chicago is segregated but everywhere you go you see minorities? That would mean they are not segregated.
Well, you can see lots of diversity in public places like at work, squares or parks. But that does'nt mean that all these people live in integrated neighborhoods or interact on a personal level.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Funny thing that you mention the friendship thing. I have acquaintances of all races but my friends are all Black.

I don't feel as if anything is wrong with me but it is what it is. I've only had one White guest in my home non business related since living in Chicago.

This is the first time in my life when I didn't have any White friends. Is it because of Chicago or is it me?
I.think you just meet the people you like to hang out with and they happened to be black. When I lived in Memphis I had black friends, now I only have white..lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Ever notice that only racist people say this?

People who are legitimately not racist don't need to point it out. It's obvious from their words and deeds.
While I generally agree with this sentiment, I'll make an exception here. People on this thread are being ridiculous and reppin_the_847 got defensive.

Some blatant racism was displayed in the way a couple people reacted to Chicago South Sider's comment. You know, the comment that Reppin_the_847 and Lorrie defended.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:49 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
This is also why I have trouble takin this thread too seriously. Ultimately, you guys can keep on complaining on the Internet about how things are around here and I'll continue to live my life that flies in the face of these claims.. It doesn't have to be serious business.
Aren't you Latino? Show me where in Chicago's history Latinos were discriminated against to the extent that African-Americans have been and then I'll take you seriously.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
I've seen plenty of subtle and sometimes overt racism towards Latinos both in Chicago and on more of a national level (it's horrible down in Arizona for example). Is it as bad as what blacks have experienced? Probably not, but it's still there nonetheless. They are certainly not the presiding White (and sometimes Jewish) upper class. Let's just put it that way.

In some ways, you seem almost as ethnocentric and combative as "NearWestSider" even though you're not threatening to mace us the next time we walk on by. Of course I'd love for you and Lorielicious to prove me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Aren't you Latino? Show me where in Chicago's history Latinos were discriminated against to the extent that African-Americans have been and then I'll take you seriously.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
I am definitely enthnocentric. Combative? No. It's just ludicrous how people with no history of institutionalized racism attempt to minimize its effects on those who have been dealing with it for at least a century. Please stop.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:25 PM

What did Reppin_the_847 say that the tree guy thought was racist? I've been skimming the thread and I'm still confused..

Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 57,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I am definitely enthnocentric. Combative? No. It's just ludicrous how people with no history of institutionalized racism attempt to minimize its effects on those who have been dealing with it for at least a century. Please stop.
Good for you, using the internet and all at your age!
But seriously, you doubt my experiences to the point of laughter? Why should anyone be any less dismissive of your posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago