Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,714 times

Advertisements

If they haven't they should. If you're tired of hearing this backhanded compliment, really it's a compliment compliment. I visited for the first time a few weeks ago and could not believe it.

I love my native Atlanta, my birthplace of L.A., and have had some of my most fun years living in NYC, but I fell in love with Chicago in the little three days I spent there! First of all, it is absolutely gorgeous! Arguably the best looking city in the country. The architecture, the lake (obvi) was beyond what I expected, the water that cuts through the city like a canal-- all the ATL has is that ****show of a 90 lane interstate cutting through our town-- the art integrated throughout the city, the cleanliness (thanks to the genius of alleys--simple solution NYC, take a hint). Second, you get all that for sunbelt prices. It feels like a joke! Like is there something I'm missing here? Yeah, I get winters are brutal, but I'll deal with that if fall, spring, and summer are divine.

I feel qualified enough to say it's the best city all around in the states. It brings together pretty much all the best qualities of American cities and dropped them into one place.

You guys are lucky to live here! Like, why is this not headline news?? Better yet, I hope no one does. I am super super heavily trying to figure out how to leave NYC to live there myself. I need it to still be affordable when I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Yeah, it's an incredible city! glad you finally got a chance to visit and experience it for yourself. The weather is really the only issue and unfortunately it's not just the Winter, it's the never ending gloomy, cold and wet Spring that will drive you nuts. I don't mind the occasional blizzard or -40 degree wind chill, but that coupled with the spring from hell did me in... But after many years living in this empty shell they call Atlanta, I'm seriously considering ignoring the weather and moving back.

Regarding the crime problem, it's all media hype and mostly isolated to a few gang infested areas on the South Side. There are many threads here discussing that aspect.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Now I mentioned that I love Atlanta, and I don't want to hijack my own thread, but the first question I always have to ask people who dislike it is where exactly did you live?

When a lot of people say Atlanta, it's often "a surrounding suburb of Atlanta." I agree, I wouldn't enjoy that much. But the actual city is a delight. It would be 2nd on my list of where I'd move next.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Now I mentioned that I love Atlanta, and I don't want to hijack my own thread, but the first question I always have to ask people who dislike it is where exactly did you live?

When a lot of people say Atlanta, it's often "a surrounding suburb of Atlanta." I agree, I wouldn't enjoy that much. But the actual city is a delight. It would be 2nd on my list of where I'd move next.

I currently live in Duluth, but have spent a lot of time working in and checking out different areas of the "City of Atlanta" and I'm not impressed. The only reason I'm still here is due to the weather. Chicago on the other hand is an incredible world class city with terrible weather most of the year so there's unfortunately no Utopia.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
It happens sometimes. It is a great city here and for what it is, pretty affordable (you could of course get a $2500/month apartment easily too if you really wanted to).

I wouldn't call the winters brutal, well I mean unless you are from the south and have never lived in the north, then for a little bit it can be. In reality on average, Chicago is about 7-10 degrees colder on average than NYC in the winter. Enough to feel it but not a terrible difference. There are colder cities in the US than Chicago and -40 windchill? That almost never happens. I grew up in Minnesota for the most part, and have experienced exactly two winter days in Chicago where I thought it was comparably cold to that. Not to say that it's not cold or can't get cold but trust me, Chicago is nowhere near the coldest in the US. But yes, if you're coming from the south it is cold. However, there's people living here from all over the world and they got used to it right? I have friends from areas of the world here that are warmer than most anything you'd find in the US too.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's a great city and I like living here a lot.. I think this "debate" pops up a bit but I think the prices are lower because it's in the Midwest and not close to any "cool" cities like NYC is close to Philadelphia, DC, Boston, etc. Also the weather part, and also the bad PR that Chicago is somehow a warzone. People legitimately think it's a warzone here and I think that has something to do with it. The prices are increasing by the way in some neighborhoods, but not others, but they're still on average a good deal less than San Fran, NYC, Boston, etc.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:05 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
You guys are lucky to live here! Like, why is this not headline news??
I definitely believe there is a PR campaign...not necessarily against Chicago, but for New York. The next time you see a "best and worst" list, pay attention to where NYC ranks (nearly always at the top of the "best") and Chicago (nearly always somewhere on the "worst"). It's comical, actually. Media affects perceptions a lot, which is why people believe Chicago is Murder City USA. If some people knew they could get almost everything they have in NYC at half the price in Chicago, they'd be ready to leave in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it would drive up the cost in Chicago over time, so it's kinda good that we're known as "flyover country". We also have a lot of land that can be developed--and NYC is strapped for space. Chicago winters are greatly overrated.

Glad you liked it here. Don't tell too many of your friends.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I definitely believe there is a PR campaign...not necessarily against Chicago, but for New York. The next time you see a "best and worst" list, pay attention to where NYC ranks (nearly always at the top of the "best") and Chicago (nearly always somewhere on the "worst"). It's comical, actually. Media affects perceptions a lot, which is why people believe Chicago is Murder City USA. If some people knew they could get almost everything they have in NYC at half the price in Chicago, they'd be ready to live in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it would drive up the cost in Chicago over time, so it's kinda good that we're known as "flyover country". We also have a lot of land that can be developed--and NYC is strapped for space.

This is true (though I don't think you can get EVERYTHING in Chicago you can get in NYC, but you can get a lot). NYC is #1 in the US for commerce and all that, and there's definitely always something to make everything in NYC #1. I love NYC, don't get me wrong, it's probably my favorite city in the US (Chicago a close 2nd) but this is absolutely true. I have heard a rumor that the 1898 incorporation of NYC happened because Chicago's population got really close and NYC wanted to stay #1.

Anyway, it's hilarious because when I was in Malaysia with my now ex girlfriend earlier this year, right away her parents were telling me to not put my cell phone or watch on the table at this hole in the wall place we were eating because gangs of machete wielding guys could come in and rob us ("You just never know"). A few days later we were all talking and the mom starts talking about how Chicago is so unsafe and stuff. My ex gf kind of "owned" her mom about it. Ironic she was telling us not to do this and that there, and "don't drive here alone at night" and stuff. We were just like "yeah, that **** never happens in most areas of Chicago. Are you serious?" If you think about it and you're international, what goes on the news? A weekend where 60 people are shot or a tomato throwing festival? The weekend where 60 people are shot, but for NYC it's always in movies, TV, etc. Quite different and it makes sense.

Maybe it's a good thing though. Keeps the prices down..

Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I definitely believe there is a PR campaign...not necessarily against Chicago, but for New York. The next time you see a "best and worst" list, pay attention to where NYC ranks (nearly always at the top of the "best") and Chicago (nearly always somewhere on the "worst"). It's comical, actually. Media affects perceptions a lot, which is why people believe Chicago is Murder City USA. If some people knew they could get almost everything they have in NYC at half the price in Chicago, they'd be ready to leave in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it would drive up the cost in Chicago over time, so it's kinda good that we're known as "flyover country". We also have a lot of land that can be developed--and NYC is strapped for space. Chicago winters are greatly overrated.

Well it's not surprising considering most media organizations are headquartered in New York. I do think the proximity of New York to other major cities drives up the cost a bit, but it's not like I spend every other weekend trying to hightail it to Boston.

As much as New York had started to feel like home, the real estate practices are down right fraudulent. In just two years, my rent sharing a 3 BR went from $750 to over $1000 in a not-so-great part of town. How is that legal?? I can buy my own condo in Chicago at $1,000/month. The rental prices make New York an entirely overrated experience.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM

^ Depends on what you're into. I mean NYC does offer more of everything for sure, but Chicago has a bit of it. I mean yeah, certain industries are better in NYC, but that's no different when you compare any two cities. It's not like you can't be the CEO or VP of a big company in Chicago or make millions doing trading.

But yeah NYC is getting a bit overpriced. I think there is a sort of romanticism with it versus reality. Love the city but I'd never live there because, while I can afford to, my quality of life may go down as a result. It's funny because my friend moved here from Manhattan in April and was just like "holy ****, how..?" at the prices here and couldn't stop talking about it for a few weeks.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I currently live in Duluth, but have spent a lot of time working in and checking out different areas of the "City of Atlanta" and I'm not impressed. The only reason I'm still here is due to the weather. Chicago on the other hand is an incredible world class city with terrible weather most of the year so there's unfortunately no Utopia.
Atlanta is a weird creature though. On the surface, it's a city that seems sleepy, as if there's little to do. Unlike other major cities, the ATL is one of those places you have to get to know intimately, and it takes a little time by having some sort of network or active life in the city. Plus, the nightlife is one of the many perks. I imagine you can't spend a ton of late nights in Atlanta because Duluth is a hefty distance so that'll skew your perception too.

Just driving by, you don't see street life, vitality, and the foot traffic you associate with big cities. Still, there is soo much to do! For me, I was into the performing arts, so on a given weekend I might take a break after the dance studio in the West Midtown bars, or check out a show at King Plow Center, get late night sushi and enjoy a free acoustic set at Park Tavern, stroll through an evening art exhibit on Dekalb Ave and then go crazy at a late night rager at MJQ in Poncey Highland til 3 am. There's something for everybody, and once you find your niche it's hard to get bored.

It's an adjustment for sure coming from places like Chicago or New York, but once you accept that and decide you want to enjoy Atlanta for what it is, it's a real treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago