Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,557 times

Advertisements

I am spending a week in Chicago from 10/21. Most of people I know here in SoFla asked me if I have famioly//friends or if I am going to some conventions. When I said no, I'm just taking a week off with the wife, they look at me like I am on crack. Vacation in Chicago? In late October?

I am trying to explain them that my idea of vacation is also to discover new places. Best vacation of my life was a week of walking around Manhattan. But I noticed one thing: while people seem to understand a week spent in NY city, they don't just get why one would want to spend a week in Chicago.

It seems to me Chicago is very underrated as a city. Apparently all people know about it is that is "terribly violent and darned cold".
(by the way, here in South Florida people should not talk about violence as I am 120% sure that in proportion to area and inhabitants palm Beach County is worst than Chicago).

I was surprised by how little consideration a big city like Chicago is given and was wondering why. I bought a 3-day Chicago card and did the plan for the first 3 days and I will be super busy trying to see everything.

I still have to talk to someone who does not ask me "and what are you going to in Chicago for 6 full days?".

Let's see: I am going to get my culture fix which sure I can't get in South Florida by visiting the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Modern Art, the Musuem of Science and Industry and the Musuem of History. And by doing that I will skip on visiting another 20 different museums in the city of Chicago.

I am going to eat in real italian restaurant, not the italian of South Florida where "alfredo sauce" is seen as a great Italian dish. I am going to finally WALK. Instead of driving strip mall to strip mall, I can actually walk and see things and people; ride the EL, the buses.
I am going to take a needed break from the frigging heat and humidity (93 degrees today, 10/8!! are you kidding me) and get some fresh cool air.
I am going to let my wife shop on Magnificent Mile, visit Greektown, Armitage, Gold Coast, take the Shoreline Cruise, stroll around Navy Pier and tto bad that week the Bears are on the road.

And finally I am going to get my music fix with great jazz and blues.

Still, for some weird reasons, people ask me "what the heck are you going to do in Chicago?" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Well, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. FYI, my favorite museum, the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is free on Tuesdays. Also, the Art Institute of Chicago is free Tuesday evenings from 5-8pm. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Still, for some weird reasons, people ask me "what the heck are you going to do in Chicago?" .
You seem very focused on what other people are saying. Perhaps these folks aren't well traveled nor familiar with what one of the major cities of the world has to offer.

Sounds like you are very comfortable with your decision to visit Chicago and I hope you enjoy. Let us know if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by soulful; 10-08-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Yes, Chicago is underrated.

A lot of people from other states that I "know" don't know anything about it.

It doesn't have any gimmick, or landmarks that makes it too well known.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
You seem very focused on what other people are saying. Perhaps these folks aren't well traveled nor familiar with what one of the major cities of the world has to offer.

Sounds like you are very comfortable with your decision to visit Chicago and I hope you enjoy. Let us know if you have any specific questions.

No, Soulful, it's not about being focused on what other people are saying. It's just that I would expect people to ask those questions and have that reaction if I had said I am going to some unknown 400 inhabitants town in the middle of nowhere USA.
It just surprised me when it's about a big city like Chicago that I think has 2 million+ inhabitants.

Anyway, yesterday in WPB we had 93 degrees which is a historical record (since 1956); that's too much even for SoFla., so I am really looking forward to take a "cool" break.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Well it's supposed to snow(Wet) Monday morning/Sunday night....

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
If you're relying on public transit mainly (perfectly workable - I've been car-free for 10 years now), you can see live bus arrival times for any bus stop using the CTA's Bus Tracker website:

CTA | Bus Tracker
for mobile devices, you can use this URL:
Choose Route

For Android phones, there are at least two good bus tracker apps - TreKing and CTA Tracker - and I'm sure there are some for the iPhone.

Also, the "Museum of Modern Art" is in New York. :-) Here in Chicago we have the Museum of Contemporary Art, and we have the Modern Wing of the Art Institute, which taken together cover a lot of the same territory as MoMA in New York, but neither of which are its equal (in my opinion) on their own.

I'm sure you can do your own restaurant research, but if you want a local's recommendations for Italian, I'll give you a few. Taylor Street is considered what's left of Chicago's Little Italy, and it has some nice Italian spots on it. However, I'm going to recommend ones that aren't on Taylor Street because I think they're more interesting. One thing that is on Taylor Street that may be of interest to Italian-Americans is the National Italian American Sports Hall Of Fame, 1431 W Taylor.
National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame

Chicago certainly has some great Italian places, including at least one considered among the best in the nation, Spiaggia. If you want to eat there, expect to pay a couple hundred dollars per person, and call now for reservations.
spiaggia

For still very nice, but not as expensive Italian dining, I can heartily recommend Prosecco, 710 N Wells, based on personal experience. I love their risotto, among other things. It's a well-dressed crowd, but you don't have to dress up. Welcome to Ristorante Prosecco Bar- Chicago IL (http://www.ristoranteprosecco.com/home.html - broken link)

For hole-in-the-wall Italian, La Scarola at 721 W Grand is usually good, although I'll be upfront that regulars get better service. It's also been a hangout for connected guys at various times. La Scarola Italian Restaurant Chicago

For fun old-school, tiny-barroom type ambiance, La Luce at 1393 W Lake can be a lot of fun. La Luce Chicago - Fine Italian Cuisine

Finally, for an authentically modern Italian vibe, you can check out Follia at 953 W Fulton. Follia Chicago — cibo e moda

As far as other things to do, neighborhoods that can be fun to walk around in, other than the ones you mention, include:

River North Gallery District - Primarily the area between Orleans, Chicago Ave, Wells and Merchandise Mart, with the edges stretching a little west on Ontario and east on the streets south of Grand, especially. Between the Chicago Ave and Merchandise Mart stops on the Brown Line. On Saturdays at 11am, there's a free tour of some of the area galleries starting at Starbucks under the Chicago Ave Brown Line Stop.

Lincoln Square - use to be a German neighborhood, and still has a good German brauhaus, but also just a nice quiet urban neighborhood around the Western stop on the Brown Line.

Devon Street - one of the biggest South Asian (Indian/Pakistani) areas in the country, you can take the Red Line to Loyola and then take the Devon bus, or take the Brown Line to Western, walk around Lincoln Square, then head north on the Western bus to Devon.

Chinatown - not New York or San Francisco, but better than Chinatowns in Florida according to my Florida friends. If the weather is cold, go to Mandarin Kitchen at 2143 S Archer and get Chinese hotpot - perfect for cold weather.

National Museum of Mexican Art is the largest museum of its kind in the U.S., and it's in Pilsen, Chicago's largest Mexican neighborhood. 1852 W 19th St, not far from the Pink Line 18th Street stop.
National Museum of Mexican Art

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
It just surprised me when it's about a big city like Chicago that I think has 2 million+ inhabitants.
Chicago has nearly 3 million within the City limits, Cook County has over 5 million people, and the metro area has around 9 million people, depending on how to define it.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Well, Venom, I know that you guys in Chicago have enough cold weather so I don't wish you an early winter, but honestly I would not mind at all to have a day of snow while I am there. I haven't seen snow since the times I was still in North-eastern Italy and that's a darn long time ago.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks a lot Emathias.
I am definitely travelling with bus and El, will get the Unlimited Ride pass (CTA only).
And yes, I meant the Museum of Contemporary Art...I was in NY 9/3 to 9/9, so that's why I got confused (or I am just getting old...)

The first 3 days I will use the GoChicagoCard so I will do Museums, Navy Pier, Adler, Shedd etc...
My hotel is on Huron and St Clair, so I will have plenty of time to walk the River North area.

I wasn't too sure about going to Little Italy, I just saw the NY version a month ago. I think I'll try some of the other restaurants you suggested instead (I have already booked my first dinner at Quartino via Opentable.com).

I am very interested in neighborhood walking, I think it's the best when visiting a city. The Magnificent Mile is okay but I don't think I will understand much of Chicago by spending my days walking up and down amidst Gucci and Prada.

The Devon St suggestion is great, I am definitely adding that.

As I am here: I have read 3 books on Chicago and I have 7-8 websites that I am reading as much as I can. Still, for some things comments seem to differ. For example, I know I want to go to some jazz club and a blues bar. I think I have a few in my area (hotel area) like Andy's, Redhead, Blue Chicago and then the two on Clarke St (536 and 736 but I forgot the name). I read though that the best jazz is found in South Chicago where some of the books say you don't want to go late at night. Maybe you can give me an input on this?
Personally I don't get easily scared by surroundings, but I have to make sure I don't end up in really bad places as I am travelling with my wife. Is there any jazz club you might suggest as a Chicagoan? Something that might not be just for tourists pretending they like jazz, but at the same time be in areas where it's not going to be a big problem coming out late in the night?

Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago