Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I do think there are lessons to be learned.

Like Tom said, back in the day the really cool folks did not give the appearance of caring what others thought. It was less about money than attitude -- think Steve McQueen , not the parade of fake "reality" stars spawned by low budget cable networks...

The lemmings flocking to "hot" neighborhoods and then just as quickly the "next big thing" leaves them all looking elsewhere.

With the lightening fast spread of infomation the speed with which things goes from "hot" to "not" will likely whipsaw businesses and property owners that cannot remake themselves quickly enough.
To be fair, gentrification inflicted neighborhoods generally don't go from "hot to not" like an unwashed pair of skinny jeans. They basically become more and more affluent and lose their lower income residents and the businesses which don't appeal to the newcomers (or which can't appeal enough to keep up with the increasing rents). Why people almost always equate that to "uncool" is an interesting discussion, probably for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
To be fair, gentrification inflicted neighborhoods generally don't go from "hot to not" like an unwashed pair of skinny jeans.
Exactly. Old Town was "cool" in 60/70's in a way that it isn't today, but it's still a good area. Wicker Park was "cool" in the early 90's, Ukrainian Village/West Town was "cool" in the 2000's, and they're doing fine today. I can't think of any areas that have backslid in the 30 or 40 years.

Basically the city has been seeing a slow growth in gentrified areas for a few decades now, and the areas that are in the process of gentrification have new places opening up that are pretty much in line with current trends. Which I guess is what makes the "cool".

I also have to say that I see a hell of a lot more people judging other people for looking "cool" than people who give any thought to it.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
With people starting to refer to it as "cewl" I too fear it's jumped the shark, from a hipster perspective anyway, LOL! As to why it's so darn cool, well, here's a link which might help explain that:

Let Me Google That

This well understood urban process will also shed light on what probably will happen there over the next 10 years. Hint -- it'll be more expensive but probably not as cool.
Hard for me to take anyone seriously who spells it as "cewl", and then goes off on a rant about "sterile Naperville"--just a little too predictable.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Hard for me to take anyone seriously who spells it as "cewl", and then goes off on a rant about "sterile Naperville"--just a little too predictable.
In the 50s and early 60s it was cool to spell it kool. Krazy kats.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Basically the kids are creeping up Milwaukee. As long as young people who can't afford a lot in rent continue to move here it will continue to happen.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I also have to say that I see a hell of a lot more people judging other people for looking "cool" than people who give any thought to it.
Indeed. Cue:

Fasttimes at Ridgemont High - Damone attitude scene - YouTube

Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In the 50s and early 60s it was cool to spell it kool. Krazy kats.

Like, take the train to Squaresville ( Naperville, etc), daddy-o. It's like, the most, man.

You can be hip, and still observe the rules of spelling. You dig the scene?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
This is a really good point.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Hey, you just don't know Damone!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Lowering the bar for cool would be this buncha NIMBYs:

Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago