Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 PM

19 posts, read 28,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have a very similar mix of friends and coworkers. I think it's just you and me though.....
So I have another question. Is Chicago more racially integrated? I have been reading through the forum and I can't tell. I am Mexican American but I've always had very racially/ethnically/culturally diverse friends and that is rare around here (Dallas). As a matter of fact, I can't tell you how many times I've been to a wedding or special event of a friend of mine and I'm the only non-whatever there (the only person not black/white/Asian/etc.) On the contrary, when I've hosted events it is always a very diverse group of people. It naturally happens that way and I'm very comfortable with it.

A friend of mine that is from Chicago told me that I will be shocked at how much more diverse and integrated Chicago is compared to Texas. She said she was shocked at the level of racism she's experienced since moving to Texas.

Is there any truth to this? I mean, even in my experience I've had to cut ties with people when they made it known that they thought it was odd that my friends are African/Asian/White/Whatever and not necessarily all Latino. I mean, who the heck cares? But it's something I've heard about/dealt with and just wondering if Chicago is any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriannaB View Post
So I have another question. Is Chicago more racially integrated? I have been reading through the forum and I can't tell. I am Mexican American
I'm afraid not. Latino/as and White people are far more integrated than Black people and White people, though.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 PM

101 posts, read 172,015 times
Quote:
So I have another question. Is Chicago more racially integrated? I have been reading through the forum and I can't tell. I am Mexican American but I've always had very racially/ethnically/culturally diverse friends and that is rare around here (Dallas). As a matter of fact, I can't tell you how many times I've been to a wedding or special event of a friend of mine and I'm the only non-whatever there (the only person not black/white/Asian/etc.) On the contrary, when I've hosted events it is always a very diverse group of people. It naturally happens that way and I'm very comfortable with it.

A friend of mine that is from Chicago told me that I will be shocked at how much more diverse and integrated Chicago is compared to Texas. She said she was shocked at the level of racism she's experienced since moving to Texas.

Is there any truth to this? I mean, even in my experience I've had to cut ties with people when they made it known that they thought it was odd that my friends are African/Asian/White/Whatever and not necessarily all Latino. I mean, who the heck cares? But it's something I've heard about/dealt with and just wondering if Chicago is any different.
Chicago still has a lot of racial segregation. Overall I notice people around here still preconceive a person based on race/ethnicity. Not everyone is like that, but you just have to be more aware of it. Though if you're coming from Texas, I don't know how it'll compare. Chicago is way less integrated compared to California, but could be better compared to Dallas.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
A lot of the older, northern cities like Chicago, NYC, etc are still pretty segregated and you'll find that with Chicago too. When you are in certain areas though, you won't notice it as much. Like the Near North Side is probably 70% white, but because it's "downtown" and there's so much business and what not, it seems like less than that sometimes. I have been noticing, as I mentioned before, more areas where people are now expanding their horizons. Some people don't feel the need to stay in their enclaves still, but statistically speaking - black/white segregation in Chicago can be pretty bad. There are areas on the south side that are easily over 95% black. Statistically speaking too, some of the areas on the far north side like Albany Park, West Ridge, Rogers Park, Uptown, and a few south side areas like Bridgeport are pretty racially integrated. I believe Albany Park's zip code was semi-recently one of the most diverse in the entire US, if not #1.

Still a long way to go, but I pay attention to it a lot and at least around where I live (near north side), I tend to see a lot more integration today than I did even four years ago.

As you are Mexican-American though, there are some very, very hispanic/Mexican parts of town, but there are some where it's pretty well integrated (i.e. Albany Park). Chicago is home to 600,000 people of Mexican descent, and 1.1 million in the metro area.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:31 PM

19 posts, read 28,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As you are Mexican-American though, there are some very, very hispanic/Mexican parts of town, but there are some where it's pretty well integrated (i.e. Albany Park). Chicago is home to 600,000 people of Mexican descent, and 1.1 million in the metro area.
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
So I have another question. Is Chicago more racially integrated? I have been reading through the forum and I can't tell. I am Mexican American but I've always had very racially/ethnically/culturally diverse friends and that is rare around here (Dallas).
Expect to be chased by working class Irish guys, many have a thing for Mexican women. Many Polish guys do too. I know many Irish-Mexican marriages, several in my family.

The Euro ethnic working class gets on very well with the Mexican working class, very open and familiar. Most people I know like and admire Mexicans; up here many simply consider them another ethnic group, like Poles, Irish, Lithuanians, Italians etc. No big deal.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 09-21-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 04:45 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Expect to be chased by working class Irish guys, many have a thing for Mexican women. Many Polish guys do too. I know many Irish-Mexican marriages, several in my family.

The Euro ethnic working class gets on very well with the Mexican working class, very open and familiar. Most people I know like and admire Mexicans.
In fact, last year at a Polish grocery store I came across imported, Polish-produced, Mexican mixed vegetables:

Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

The Euro ethnic working class gets on very well with the Mexican working class, very open and familiar. Most people I know like and admire Mexicans; up here many simply consider them another ethnic group, like Poles, Irish, Lithuanians, Italians etc. No big deal.
Based on her description, the OP does not appear to be of the working class.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Based on her description, the OP does not appear to be of the working class.
In any event a large number of Chicagoans will hold no prejudice about her being Mexican.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 09-21-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 PM

18 posts, read 35,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In fact, last year at a Polish grocery store I came across imported, Polish-produced, Mexican mixed vegetables:
That picture made me laugh out loud.

Right there, Arianna. That's Chicago. Or at least our better side.

I hope you find that job and move here. I think you'll like it. And as far as the racial and ethnic divides go--yeah, that's part of my adopted hometown I'm not proud of. But as has been pointed out, there are neighborhoods where it's not so extreme, I'd say especially on the north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago