Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times

Advertisements

I know that his behavior had been erratic lately, but I'm still a bit shocked by this. It's too bad that he will be remembered for his jerky treatment of high school kids as much as his incredible talent as a chef.

Charlie Trotter dead - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Very sad.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I know that his behavior had been erratic lately, but I'm still a bit shocked by this. It's too bad that he will be remembered for his jerky treatment of high school kids as much as his incredible talent as a chef.

He won't be remembered by his last 6 months. Not when he had one of the best restaurants in the world for a decade.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
He won't be remembered by his last 6 months. Not when he had one of the best restaurants in the world for a decade.
It seemed like kind of a downward spiral, and I do think people will remember that. It will become part of his mythology.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Sad. Something was up with him the last year. He seemed like a raging alcoholic or something. Sucks, but yeah - wouldn't be surprised to see his cause of death as related to that. I hope not though

Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I think you're right.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

It's been an open secret for ages that the guy was a jerk. He just managed to make a conspicuous display of his jerkiness before signing off. So I don't necessarily think it would be "too bad" if he's known for being a jerk as much as for being an incredible chef, because by many accounts he was both in equal measure.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Having high standards / demanding workplace is not the same as "being a jerk". There are long line of chefs / resturanteurs / food lovers that have nothing but fond things to say of Mr. Trotter and that stands in stark contrast to the rather petty complaints of folks with bad things to say about him personally or the way he conducted his business.

The sorts of succes that Mr. Trotter had in his career is all but unheard of, and the "explosion" of folks serving food in a much less careful way at greatly elevated prices is not really part of his legacy so much as a unfortunate by-product of the expanded notice that landed on the city due to the glow that radiated off Mr. Trotter personally as well as those that were fortunate to work under his guidance.

The business decisions that Mr. Trotter made over the years largely reflected his personal committment to remain a VERY hands-on proprietor while many others in a similar position choose instead to capitalize on their fame. It is also well known that Trotter could be counted on to not just "donate a free table" for a charity but to dig deep into his own pocket to support good causes he believed, hardly the hallmark of "a jerk".

Like many people of extraordinary drive / creativity Mr. Trotter's personal life often took a back seat to the passions of his vocation -- he has been married three times. Second wife Lynn, though a onetime hostess of the resturant, had an acromonious divorce in 2001-2, his first wife similarly was quoted in a 1997 NYT piece that "Charile loved the resturant not me"...

Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
I didn't know the guy.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:11 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The sorts of succes that Mr. Trotter had in his career is all but unheard of, and the "explosion" of folks serving food in a much less careful way at greatly elevated prices is not really part of his legacy so much as a unfortunate by-product of the expanded notice that landed on the city due to the glow that radiated off Mr. Trotter personally as well as those that were fortunate to work under his guidance.
You've heard this before a thousand times, but run-on sentences get in the way of whatever point you're trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The business decisions that Mr. Trotter made over the years largely reflected his personal committment to remain a VERY hands-on proprietor while many others in a similar position choose instead to capitalize on their fame.

Like many people of extraordinary drive / creativity Mr. Trotter's personal life often took a back seat to the passions of his vocation -- he has been married three times. Second wife Lynn, though a onetime hostess of the resturant, had an acromonious divorce in 2001-2, his first wife similarly was quoted in a 1997 NYT piece that "Charile loved the resturant not me"...
It's unfortunate that guys like Mr Trotter, who are "married" to their one location, never understand the concept of creating a legacy. Gordon Ramsey has created a brand that does not require his presence in any particular restaurant, but you know you will get his standards wherever you go. So when Ramsey drops dead, there will be a chain of restaurants left to his family, and all they really need to do is maintain excellent management and chef talent. Unfortunately for Trotter, he's dead, his one restaurant location is closed, nothing left to his heirs but a sterling reputation. No legacy, no institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago