Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
and this is bad because?

My son did his student teaching at Mather"s High School. No problems, actually the immigrant community
actually has some respect for teachers.
Named for Stephen T. Mather -- Stephen Mather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 AM

424 posts, read 974,361 times
This list was compiled with some inaccurate research. I'm interested to learn how would they define hipsters these days since the term is now used as a catch all for anyone under 30 wearing glasses or carrying an iphone. The term has become very overused and cliché.

Albany Park? Sunnyside Queens? Arlington Va? Sunset Park Brooklyn? Iowa City? Really...? This list is more real estate marketing than anything. These are where they want where they want young people to move since slapping the hipster label on anything is supposed to attribute a young cool factor unfortunately they don't realize most 20 something's are not hipsters.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
This list was compiled with some inaccurate research. I'm interested to learn how would they define hipsters these days since the term is now used as a catch all for anyone under 30 wearing glasses or carrying an iphone. The term has become very overused and cliché.

Albany Park? Sunnyside Queens? Arlington Va? Sunset Park Brooklyn? Iowa City? Really...? This list is more real estate marketing than anything. These are where they want where they want young people to move since slapping the hipster label on anything is supposed to attribute a young cool factor unfortunately they don't realize most 20 something's are not hipsters.
Read the damn article.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default It is not that hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Read the damn article.
Folks need to learn what "click bait" is!

btw-- "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vlajos again"

Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 AM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
and this is bad because?
Did I say it was bad?

Quote:
My son did his student teaching at Mather"s High School. No problems, actually the immigrant community
actually has some respect for teachers.
I did student some clinical experience hours a Mather back in the mid 90's before I became a teacher too. However, Mather is not in Albany Park, and I would consider it a mediocre high school.

Btw, I am an immigrant (came the US in 1975), and yes, the immigrant community has respect for the teaching profession, but because linguistic and cultural differences, there isn't as much involvement or parent-teacher contact. Take it from me. I teach at a high school where 60 languages are represented.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Did I say it was bad?
I did student some clinical experience hours a Mather back in the mid 90's before I became a teacher too. However, Mather is not in Albany Park, and I would consider it a mediocre high school.

Btw, I am an immigrant (came the US in 1975), and yes, the immigrant community has respect for the teaching profession, but because linguistic and cultural differences, there isn't as much involvement or parent-teacher contact. Take it from me. I teach at a high school where 60 languages are represented.
Did not understand why income needed to be mentioned. Since so many neighborhoods now have
specific names, sorry for the error - West Ridge.
As for the number of languages spoken, it is difficult for a teacher however let's be honest, they
know several languages so when we talk about ESL, English is probably 3 or more languages they
speak. The problem is the text books that are not available for them (the books are a one size fits
all). btw, I am also a teacher.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Did not understand why income needed to be mentioned.
Well by definition:

Quote:
"Hipster" refers to a postmodern subculture of young, urban middle-class adults
This doesn't fit Albany Park's culture.

Quote:
Since so many neighborhoods now have
specific names, sorry for the error - West Ridge.
Mather is nowhere near Albany Park. Von Steuben and Roosevelt are. Roosevelt absolutely sucks, and would never send my two boys there.... Mather is an alright school.... Unfortunately, there are some gangs in Mather today. Most are kids bussed in from other parts of the city (mainly GD's and Vicelords), but local Assyrian Kings from Devon Ave, and there are probably a few Popes left who are from the Foster and Lincoln or around Budlong School. Mather was a lot worse in the late 80's when I was in high school. I'm glad to see that they are trying to keep as much of the gang element out.

Quote:

As for the number of languages spoken, it is difficult for a teacher however let's be honest, they
know several languages so when we talk about ESL, English is probably 3 or more languages they
speak.
I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here? It is difficult for a teacher in a regular ed classroom who tries to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of students not only with different content abilities, but also language abilities.

Quote:
The problem is the text books that are not available for them (the books are a one size fits
all).

Now we are under Common Core Standards, and because our broke ass state of Illinois *****'d itself out for federal dollars, we are obligated to teach to the test.

Quote:
btw, I am also a teacher.
What grade? I teach high school... US history (mainly).

Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here? It is difficult for a teacher in a regular ed classroom who tries to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of students not only with different content abilities, but also language abilities.

Now we are under Common Core Standards, and because our broke ass state of Illinois *****'d itself out for federal dollars, we are obligated to teach to the test.
What grade? I teach high school... US history (mainly).
Regarding language abilities, yes that makes it difficult for the teacher. In short, my point was that they
know several languages unlike most students in the US (but that is another thread in itself). I understand
about the pressure and focus about teaching the test and I support every teacher in every grade and
content area for what they have to do.
I teach art in high school and in our curriculum and state standards, history is a requirement as well
as writing across the curriculum. Every high school student is required to take some type of an art
elective whether it is visual or performing arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago