Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 21,062 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently purchased a car with Nebraska Rebuilt title (Not salvage) but when I went to the DMV for registration, they said I need to get the state police inspection.

I search thru the DMV official website, and I understand that "salvage" title need to get inspected by state police before they can issue you a "rebuilt" title. But, my title is Nebraska "rebuilt" title, which is fully fixed to new condition and inspected by Nebraska state police, which is ready to register without inspection. My co-worker told me that she had a out of state rebuilt title car as well, and she registered it without any inspection, but that was about 2 years ago.

The lady at DMV ( the front door receptionist ) told me that I need to get inspected by state police because the title stated "Rebuilt". Well, the way she act gave me the feeling that she might be inexperience and it was 10 minutes before closing time, they might need to go home early.

Rebuilt title is different with Salvage title.

So, anybody who actually purchased out of state "rebuilt" title car and successfully registered the car in Chicago? Can you please share your input? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
I don't think Illinois considers rebuilt different from salvage. See links below how to get it inspected.
Also, insurance will probably cost more and they might not even insure your car for replacement...Or theft. A problem in the city....Get rid of the car, and get something with a clean title and save a bunch of headaches. That's why people get a carfax -- to avoid this stuff unless the price is so damn cheap it makes the hassles worth it.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...sos_dop102.pdf

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ons/vsd224.pdf

Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 16,525 times
Reparz is dumb doesn't know what he is talking about um a licensed rebuilder here in Illinois you should have no issues if the car come with a rebuilt title from out of state they only make you go to the inspection if the title was originally from Illinois and was taken to another state to rebuilt and then brought back toillinoisto register and it 7 years or newer

Old 01-17-2016, 03:43 PM

156 posts, read 420,093 times
Great 1st post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: