Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times

Advertisements

Which one is the better option?

Say, if you're going out around 7 pm and returning later in the evening? Maybe around 11 pm or 12 am.

Don't mind paying for parking at all, to be honest..as long as it isn't too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I always say, take a train/bus to your destination and cab home.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I always say, take a train/bus to your destination and cab home.
Yea, I was considering the cab home. It's only an 8 minute ride by cab/car.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Depends on where you're headed I suppose. Finding parking near the big six-way can be difficult. Outside of that area I've typically been able to find free parking within a block or so of whatever place I'm going to. Since I live right off the Blue Line I end up taking it more often than not, especially now that you can use your phone to figure out when the next train is coming. Before that it would be anyone's guess how long you'd have to wait for a train late at night.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Depends on where you're headed I suppose. Finding parking near the big six-way can be difficult. Outside of that area I've typically been able to find free parking within a block or so of whatever place I'm going to. Since I live right off the Blue Line I end up taking it more often than not, especially now that you can use your phone to figure out when the next train is coming. Before that it would be anyone's guess how long you'd have to wait for a train late at night.
I thought that the Blue Line had time monitors on the platforms now. ( I haven't been in Chicago in a while) I could have sworn that I saw them while standing on the Blue Line Cumberland stop in 2011-12..

Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM

319 posts, read 604,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I thought that the Blue Line had time monitors on the platforms now. ( I haven't been in Chicago in a while) I could have sworn that I saw them while standing on the Blue Line Cumberland stop in 2011-12..
Some do, but not all.

Irving Park does not, but many of the closer-in ones do. I'm sure they will be increasing that number more and more as time goes on.

Sadly we have to watch stupid commercials half the time while waiting for transit times.

NO! McDonald's, I ain't eating your crap! No matter how many hours you post that, this is effing Chicago!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Some do, some don't. Regardless, I don't want to get to the platform and only then figure out that the next train isn't coming for half an hour when I could have spent that half-hour having one last drink or cup of coffee after dinner or whatever, or if I'm ready to go home now, I know to flag a cab rather than wait for the next train. The point is that the main reason I chose to drive and hunt for parking was to remove the uncertainty of how long it would take to get home if I'm planning to be there late. At 1am, what is a 12-minute drive can be a 45-minute commute if I rely on the late-night bare-bones public transportation schedules. At least now I have a good idea and can plan my departure time and method accordingly.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
The problem isn't cost of parking, it's really that sometimes parking can be difficult to find (not always, but sometimes). Usually it's just easier to take the train or bus, or cab it. And based on where you live, you can always just take the Division St bus there in the least. It's like 15 minutes ride to that blue line stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: