Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,355 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was pulled over for 'overtaking on right'. Police took my license, and I was given a court date. Probably most radiculus reason to be pulled for, I can't even find anything on-line on possible consequences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
I used to see this all the time when first driving. Any vague, difficult to defend issue.
My first was driving home in a very hard, hard downpour on an L.A. freeway almost
midnight with NO TRAFFIC and the Highway Patrol cited me for driving "too slow".

Considering the conditions I thought 50 miles an hour was a pretty safe speed.

I'm a little off on their taking your license. Who drove the car home then without you having a license in possession?
Would there not be grounds for license revocation for possibly other reasons, of which you would certainly have been told by the police??
What was the person to your left doing??
All told, I'd fight it.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
Rather than ask you to search for a recent post - In Illinois , if you're pulled over for a moving violation, you will either surrender your license or a Bond Card . The ticket you receive will serve as your 'license' should you get pulled over before you retrieve your license after your court date, or plead guilty and online driving school, or by posting a cash bond. That's the practice in this state .
The ticket will not be acceptable as substitute identification for things like air travel, etc., so that's another good argument for having a DL and a State ID card, or for purchasing or obtaining a bond card from your insurance company . It's kind of PITA, but that's the drill .

Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM

I understand that they are taking driver's licenses for traffic tickets as a bond. I don't understand why I need to show up in the court, not just pay the ticket, and more important what possible fines and/other consequences are for that particular violation?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgb3 View Post
Hi,

I was pulled over for 'overtaking on right'. Police took my license, and I was given a court date. Probably most radiculus reason to be pulled for, I can't even find anything on-line on possible consequences?

Were you in the City? This would be a first! Technically yes, passing on the right is illegal, presumably due to the driver's blind spot. It also happens about 25,000 times a day thanks to those idiotic rush hour "parking controls" which create the illusion of a second lane, even though it isn't actually striped.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Yes, in the City, and yes, probably I'm first because I couldn't find anything on that particular violation anywhere on the Internet. I'm curious what can be the fine and /or other consequences.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Did you drive through a bike lane or parking lane in order to pass the other driver? Or was it a two lane street?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgb3 View Post
Hi,

It is not a "ricidulous" reason to be pulled over, it is against the law to pass someone on the right.
You should go to the court house or give them a call if they take calls for these issues and ask what the fine is, where to pay it and the amount. Also ask if they take checks or debit/credit cards. They may only take cash or money order.
Read the ticket as well the information could be there regarding who to contact and how to pay the ticket.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
Illinois Traffic Court

Pretty decent site for the rundown on how to know whether you have a 'must appear' ticket , or a ticket that can be dealt with in other ways ( e.g. court supervision with driving school ) . Make sure you understand the ramifications of alternatives on your driving record ( points) and insurance . It was a moving violation , so that's a consideration . Good Luck .

Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default It almost certainly involved multiple citations...

Your ticket probably shows something like "failed to have current registration / proof of insurance" in addition to the "illegal lane usage".

The biggest downsiide to having had multiple investment properties spread out over a wide swath of the region and other obligation that allowed to get to know most of our multi-county area in great depth is that I have gotten LOTS of traffic tickets...

I have had a few "must appear" situations. Generally, assuming you actually do have "proof of registration / insurance" to show the judge (yes it is like kindergarten and you have to bring the actual paper...) those will be dismissed and the judge will likely offer "court supervision" unless the prosecutor sees you have a terrible record or the cop says you did something actually dangerous like scaring someone in the crosswalk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago