Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
You know more than I do, I've never lived in Chicago. I got my information off this message board and posts talking about how the African American culture in Chicago in particular is conducive to criminal activity and statistics people have posted. I can see what you are saying about how a majority of gangs are African American and they commit most of the crimes. I am glad I am learning more from your viewpoint.
I don't know if the majority of gangs are African American. I don't even know if the majority of the crime is committed by African Americans in Chicago. The majority of the murders are committed by African American gangs that is a small segment of the African American community and is not a representation of our culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:20 AM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't know if the majority of gangs are African American. I don't even know if the majority of the crime is committed by African Americans in Chicago. The majority of the murders are committed by African American gangs that is a small segment of the African American community and is not a representation of our culture.
Well then, the Southside doesn't sound like a bad place to visit. Next time I visit Chicago I'd like to explore the area.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Well then the Southside should be thriving then. I would like to visit there next time I go to Chicago.
When you go to Chicago be sure to check out the Hyde Park fest, the jazz fest and the Caribbean festival. Plan your trip around that and you can hit the museums and don't forget to chill on the lake front. Some of the best views in the city.

You will definitely see a lot of African American south side culture. You may even identify some of the friendliness that been written about.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
When you go to Chicago be sure to check out the Hyde Park fest, the jazz fest and the Caribbean festival. Plan your trip around that and you can hit the museums and don't forget to chill on the lake front. Some of the best views in the city.

You will definitely see a lot of African American south side culture. You may even identify some of the friendliness that been written about.
Cool, thanks. Yeah one of my black friends said that Chicago has the best jazz record store in the country.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:

If you didn't have to be near your family, would you have stayed in Hyde Park?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
If you didn't have to be near your family, would you have stayed in Hyde Park?
I don't think I would have stayed in Chicago. Possibly moved out west to Seattle. But clearly Hyde Park was my personal favorite.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
This is true on the north side. I think it was funny when people think they are better than xyz because of the city they live in. When some found out I had experience living in the south the first thing comes out of their mouth is racism and different types of prejudices. When I tell them that Chicago is more segregated than Memphis and Charlotte, they look like I have a problem and how dare talk bad about progressive Obama voting Chicago. Lol.

I actually like Omaha and Detroit. Actually there are many cities that I enjoy that are not in Chicago league.
Yep, experienced this attitude countless times.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Yeah I grew up in Southern California where African Americans are more integrated in society than what I've read about Chicago. So I don't automatically think a black person is associated with crime because of the diverse, integrated culture I grew up in.
I grew up in a family where my black relatives were doctors, lawyers, and scientists. I always assumed that white and black people were equal, and I wasn't really familiar with the stereotypes of the ghetto until hip hop came along in the 80's, along with the 90's movies like Boyz-in-da-Hood and Do The Right Thing. Yet I'm white myself, from a smaller city in the midwest, upper middle class, and have lived around a lot of white people at certain times in my life, so I'm probably just a jerk. I even lived along the Brown Line once. Or as I like to call it, the "@sshole train". God those people in Lincoln Square! Man they're mean!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Cool, thanks. Yeah one of my black friends said that Chicago has the best jazz record store in the country.
Jazz Record Mart Web Store

Love this store, the size and selection is unbelievable, but it's not on the south side, it's in the touristy part of the city, near Michigan avenue, near Trump Tower, too.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:46 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is true - but people need to remember that Chicago is not just full of people from the Midwest. There's people from all around the country and world here. You can't just pick out 20 random people if you're in a popular area and just assume most of them are from the midwest originally.
Yes you can.

Outside of areas with a heavy tourist appeal (whole Near north side) or areas centered around universities (ie: Hyde Park), popular areas, I would very much expect that over half of a random sample of people to be from the midwest originally. And yes, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc. are the top popular areas (again outside the tourist heavy greater downtown (including near north side) which is obviously more international.

I have no idea why you are so resistant to this. Everyone knows Chicago has people from all over the country and all over the country and all over the world. So do major midwest research university college towns. Just because Ann Arbor attracts people from all over the world, doesn't mean its obviously a midwestern university town. But I still think of Ann Arbor as being unapologetically cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago