Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 PM

221 posts, read 322,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Wait! Picasso and the Bean are not enough. Chicago needs another international tourist attraction. It does't have the venues for wealthy tourists as does New York: Statue of Liberty, Broadway and Off-Broadway, Fifth Avenue, the diamond district, Fulton Street, the Rockettes and Radio City, Wall Street, Central Park and the hansom cabs, top sail schooners to sail New York's famous Harbor, tickets for the late night national broadcast from the Ed Sullivan Theatre, Rockefeller Center, and the many art galleries in and near Manhattan.

Chicago could, and it should, do better but it is usually obsessing over 'something else'.

Taxpayers funded the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield. There are other Lincoln museums in the state. Illinois' only son who was born in the state, educated in Central Illinois, and became a United States President has been ignored. The Reagan tribute consists of memorabilia of one-of-kind items that cannot be seen elsewhere. It is found inside the college where he earned a double degree. His museum is in California.

No other United States President was born in Illinois. Obama is Hawaii's native son; it should be built there.
Oh, I thought you were naming Lincoln to be Illinois' native son. But you were talking about Reagan.

Last edited by oak317; 05-21-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
No other United States President was born in Illinois. Obama is Hawaii's native son; it should be built there.

I respectfully disagree. You mentioned the Reagan museum being in California, which makes sense because that was where his political career began. Obama's political base was in Illinois, where he moved after completing law school. Having the presidential library in Hawaii would make no more sense than having the Reagan library in Illinois.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 AM

741 posts, read 764,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I respectfully disagree. You mentioned the Reagan museum being in California, which makes sense because that was where his political career began. Obama's political base was in Illinois, where he moved after completing law school. Having the presidential library in Hawaii would make no more sense than having the Reagan library in Illinois.
But, Obama seems to prefer Hawaii as a place to relax, than he does Chicago. He doesn't vacation in Chicago. He's hardly spent a night in Chicago since elected President. It's Hawaii he visits to relax, spend time with friends and family, etc. I suspect that's where he'd like to live, when he leaves the White House.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
But, Obama seems to prefer Hawaii as a place to relax, than he does Chicago.
I'm guessing more than half the nation would prefer to vacation in Hawaii over Chicago if they were polled. Surely you're not suggesting presidential libraries should be located in whatever place that president prefers to vacation???

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM

741 posts, read 764,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Surely you're not suggesting presidential libraries should be located in whatever place that president prefers to vacation???
Not where they prefer to vacation, but where they prefer to live .. where they've lived before and return to visit over, and over and over again.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Obama's library obviously should be in Chicago, this is where he started his career (in academia and politics).
End of story. Chicago is a civil rights hotbed. It'd be crazy to have the library anywhere BUT here.

This is Illinois. Nobody should be shocked if the state puts up money. I don't even know why either of these two issues is up for debate.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
End of story. Chicago is a civil rights hotbed. It'd be crazy to have the library anywhere BUT here.

This is Illinois. Nobody should be shocked if the state puts up money. I don't even know why either of these two issues is up for debate.
I don't care whether it's here or in Timbuktu, as long as it's funded by private donations and not public money. State money is *my* money. The original post is about the funding of the library, not the location of it. And for the record, I'm against the public funding of any presidential library; if you want a place to brag about your legacy, find the money for it yourself and negotiate its location with the states in question.

No More Tax Dollars for Presidential Libraries - Reason.com

Old 05-24-2014, 01:58 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
But, Obama seems to prefer Hawaii as a place to relax, than he does Chicago. He doesn't vacation in Chicago. He's hardly spent a night in Chicago since elected President. It's Hawaii he visits to relax, spend time with friends and family, etc. I suspect that's where he'd like to live, when he leaves the White House.
I actually think he just prefers the tropical paradise that is Hawaii for vacation purposes, as many people do.

Barack and Michelle were recently asked if they plan on moving back to Chicago once he's out of office, and they stated that they haven't made a firm decision yet because they may want to stay in DC for a time since Sasha will still be in high school.

It sounded like the desires of their kids was going to be a big part of their decision since they don't want to uproot them from their schools and friends for no reason.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I don't care whether it's here or in Timbuktu, as long as it's funded by private donations and not public money. State money is *my* money.
Sorry, but you don't get to control where "your" tax money goes. Don't like it? Stop paying them.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:22 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Sorry, but you don't get to control where "your" tax money goes. Don't like it? Stop paying them.
Nice solution ... the people should shut up and let the oligarchs who run this state spend their tax contributions however they like. It's the Chicago way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago