Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,409,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You're right, crime/corruption in Chicago is known and has been for awhile just like it was (or still kind of is) for NYC. However, the homicide rate and number of homicides per year has been cut in half (or more than that) since the 80s and 90s. Why were they not giving as big of a damn back then?
Not really. Shootings are actually up this year. Medicine is the only reason there are less homicides nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Not really. Shootings are actually up this year.
I think it's about on track with last year, actually.

Quote:
Medicine is the only reason there are less homicides nowadays.
Source?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Chicago Police: Shootings up, Homicides Down - ABC News

Under the gun: Homicides down, shootings up in 2014 | Homicide Watch Chicago | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.

There are much more advanced ways to treat gunshot wounds now as opposed to back then in the 70s 80s and 90s. I don't know how many were shot back then, but I'm sure there were more homicides per each shooting back then, whereas nowadays, unless a person is shot right in a critical body part (chest or head) multiple times, only then they can die, or from the rare occurrence of blood loss. Back then, one shot to the chest or face could mean your life. The treatment nowadays is at least 20x better than back then. But yeah, if you think medical advancement nowadays isn't a major factor murders are down, then you're simply deluded and have no clue of what is really happening.

I mean, what other reasons could there be (aside from Cabrini GREEN BEIng torn down_

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks. I agree - there's more to keep someone alive today, but I'd still be willing to bet you a lot of money that there were more shootings back in the 80s and 90s than today. Not all shootings are life threatening either.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Thanks. I agree - there's more to keep someone alive today, but I'd still be willing to bet you a lot of money that there were more shootings back in the 80s and 90s than today. Not all shootings are life threatening either.
Eh, you're right. I won't doubt that, but there's still a ton nowadays, which everyone likes to use as evidence things are changing, and they certainly have for the better since the 90's, but the issue is still massive, and it's still there. After all, another 2012 can happen if Cheif Keef drops another album or another rapper who finds ways to glorify the violence arises, we certainly will see another, hold me on that. I do believe projects like Watts and Cabrini Green had a huge effect on the murder jumps.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Eh, you're right. I won't doubt that, but there's still a ton nowadays, which everyone likes to use as evidence things are changing, and they certainly have for the better since the 90's, but the issue is still massive, and it's still there.
Yes, there's a lot nowadays - no denying that. I always recognize the progress the city has made, but there's no denying that things in some areas of the city still aren't that great. Hopefully, sometime these things can come down even more over the years. The gang culture is complex and intertwined and won't happen overnight to bring these things down, but progress is always good too.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:04 PM

104 posts, read 175,185 times
I just wanted to write to say I visited Chicago for the first time over this past 4th of July weekend. It was crazy busy and the City probably could've done a better job directing traffic flow and pedestrians. Weird road closures all over the place. But I always felt safe and it kinda shocked me just how *clean* the city is. I was expecting that Chicago would not be nearly as negative as the media often portrays it, but I didn't realize just how stark the difference would be.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I just wanted to write to say I visited Chicago for the first time over this past 4th of July weekend. It was crazy busy and the City probably could've done a better job directing traffic flow and pedestrians. Weird road closures all over the place. But I always felt safe and it kinda shocked me just how *clean* the city is. I was expecting that Chicago would not be nearly as negative as the media often portrays it, but I didn't realize just how stark the difference would be.
Yep. 70% of the city is nothing like you see in the media when it talks about violence. Tale of two cities for sure.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Found this link and report about crime rates by Daniel K Hertz from 1990-2011. Reason for the link:
since people are comparing crime from the 90's to now....some information & maps as well.

We’ve Talked About Homicide In Chicago At Least One Million Times But I Don’t Think This Has Come Up | City Notes

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
If you're a tourist, and all you are going to is downtown, of course you won't see anything. The only things that suck about downtown is the traffic, which is why you should avoid it like the plague. taste of chicago probably shut down many roads, and I thought they were filming a movie (?). But yes. The bad stuff is all far on the south and west sides, which hardly anybody visiting Chicago as a tourist will see. The downtown is beautiful, can't argue with that. But the issues are still there. Just not in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago