Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Sure, no problem. Here is the sentence in all its histrionic stupidity:

"But again with per capita. These are actually lives being lost, vs. non existent lives."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Sure, no problem. Here is the sentence in all its histrionic stupidity:

"But again with per capita. These are actually lives being lost, vs. non existent lives."
Still waiting for where I said that people who judge places based on per capita don't care about lives being lost. You're really grasping at straws.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Still waiting for where I said that people who judge places based on per capita don't care about lives being lost. You're really grasping at straws.
You didn't say it, though I personally thought you implied it when you responded to me, but I didn't 100% think you did anyway.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I don't remember much coverage of theirs, either. Apparently 900/year in Chicago and 2,000/year in NYC wasn't newsworthy, but 400/year in Chicago (and falling) is OMG THE WORST THING EVER OMG OMG CHIRAQ OMG!
Yeah, what's up with the fear mongering? It's kinda like the Onion jokingly saying that the air in Chicago is 75% bullets. Eeeek, CHIRAQ!

Last edited by urza216; 07-11-2014 at 02:09 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'm not an Illinois resident, but I've been in the city many times. Every time an "active" weekend for homicides happens in Chicago, I see it on the national news. Everyone I know balks when I say Chicago is one of the coolest cities we have in the country. They say ".. yea but the crime is awful."

Funny, statistics have Chicago not even in the top 10. I never hear of shootings on the national news for Detroit or Philadelphia, which are far worse. I lived in the Philly Metro for 5 years, and multiple homicides were weekly in Philly, Camden, and Wilmington. Most rustblet cities fair similarly in crime to Chicago (Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Milwaukee)
POLITICAL REASONS.

Obummer whose not really from chicago and the Gun laws thingy. Rahm (who everybody hates) is using the media to fuel his need for funding.

It makes white people feel good about their lot. Even though the economically middle down is still struggling. Thus the comparison is ridiculous.

They SHOULD show White Suicides. Which are 8 times higher than all black gun crime.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoiztoxic View Post
They SHOULD show White Suicides. Which are 8 times higher than all black gun crime.
...what?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'm not an Illinois resident, but I've been in the city many times. Every time an "active" weekend for homicides happens in Chicago, I see it on the national news. Everyone I know balks when I say Chicago is one of the coolest cities we have in the country. They say ".. yea but the crime is awful."

Funny, statistics have Chicago not even in the top 10. I never hear of shootings on the national news for Detroit or Philadelphia, which are far worse. I lived in the Philly Metro for 5 years, and multiple homicides were weekly in Philly, Camden, and Wilmington. Most rustblet cities fair similarly in crime to Chicago (Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Milwaukee)
60 plus people shot is not an "active" weekend. We had less casualties than that most days in Vietnam, and never had that many casualties in Iraq or Afghanistan in the same period of time. There is something seriously wrong in Chicago and it is fully justified that there is media attention.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You didn't say it, though I personally thought you implied it when you responded to me, but I didn't 100% think you did anyway.
Nope. All I said was that per capita rates look are inaccurate because not everyone commits and are victims of crime in a city is a city resident, and it looks at "what if" instances rather than actual instances of crime. I don't think lower of people who use it.

That said, I believe we should compare cities to other cities' sized, or how that city is perceived, for example we shouldn't compare Chicago, an internationally known massive metropolis to Cleveland Ohio or Detroit. We should compare it to other, internationally known mega metropolises, like LA, NYC, Toronto, and MAYBE a few others like Dallas and Phoenix.

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-11-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Nope. All I said was that per capita rates look are inaccurate because not everyone commits and are victims of crime in a city is a city resident, and it looks at "what if" instances rather than actual instances of crime. I don't think lower of people who use it.

That said, I believe we should compare cities to other cities' sized, or how that city is perceived, for example we shouldn't compare Chicago, an internationally known massive metropolis to Cleveland Ohio or Detroit. We should compare it to other, internationally known mega metropolises, like LA, NYC, Toronto, and MAYBE a few others like Dallas and Phoenix.
I agree it might be better to compare cities of like size, but often harder for other socioeconomic reasons and factors. Culture and socioeconomics plays a big impact and of course painting a broad stroke of per capita that is not at a more granular level is dangerous. However, you can say that about every city, and also if anybody honestly looks at per capita numbers and assumes it's uniform across all geographies of any given city, then they are very inexperienced with travel and cities, and probably don't have a big grasp with society itself at least in this country. I think most logical people and/or people who've traveled to at least a few cities would understand that there are bad areas in every city where the crime rate is much higher than other parts and there's areas of any given city that are safe. Detroit may have bad crime, but it would be silly to think that there's no good parts of the city.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoiztoxic View Post

I don't think this is true. Show me the statistics. Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago