Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 9,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I agree, this was a format change for the much worse. It also appears that more than 50% of the front page stories are behind the paywall, and that sometimes includes the top story on the page. The whole thing is pretty much useless now.
When I want to read a restricted story I just google the title of the article and follow the link. Usually it is then available for free reading. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:24 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I really hate not only the new format, but the way that news sites in general are trying to move their content from text to video. I'd rather read my news than have it read to me, and I have no patience for the ads. I know it's more about revenues than anything, but I can't help but be offended that they treat their audience as if it is either illiterate, or that they want them to be. I wish, at the very least, they would give you the option to use either the new format, or the "classic" format. As it is, they've essentially driven me to read the Sun-Times, which is a horrible rag of a paper, but at least their site is readable.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM

80 posts, read 103,045 times
I used to be almost OCD about reading chicagotribune.com. Now I HATE it because it's so un-user friendly.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:09 PM

255 posts, read 583,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiint View Post
When I want to read a restricted story I just google the title of the article and follow the link. Usually it is then available for free reading. Enjoy
I've done this as well, but it's generally more trouble than it is worth.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I think people are over reacting. It looks completely fine in my browser(s). The font choices are fairly readable and content is easily identifiable. Navigation to content sections is not hard either. They have also implemented more dynamic sections as you scroll. For a news site, it's pretty similar to many others I have seen out there.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
At least they've made it mobile-compatible. If you tried to read the previous version on your phone you spent more time scrolling the page all over than actually reading. It still sucks having all the other content scattered all over the body of the article though.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,744 times
Quote:
I've done this as well, but it's generally more trouble than it is worth.
What do you mean? I literally click on the link and the story is there to read for free.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:18 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
It's a thumbs down from me. The Trib screwed up their newspaper, the cubs and now they can't seem to get digital right either. I'm pretty sure that the Colonel isn't rolling over in his grave, but instead is snickering.

All in all it's probably a plus for me. I used to check in a half dozen times a day on average, now I go days without it. No more minute by minute body counts and crime sensationalism makes for a brighter day.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 AM

255 posts, read 583,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiint View Post
What do you mean? I literally click on the link and the story is there to read for free.
I mean that is is almost impossible to copy the title of the article on the Tribune site without clicking on it, or picking up a lot of other stuff near it; and retyping the entire title into Google takes more time than it's worth. Perhaps you have another method for googling the articles?

Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
I mean that is is almost impossible to copy the title of the article on the Tribune site without clicking on it, or picking up a lot of other stuff near it; and retyping the entire title into Google takes more time than it's worth. Perhaps you have another method for googling the articles?
Count me in as unsure of what you mean too. All the articles except the Plus ones are free, which is absolutely no different than the previous site. I just easily copied and pasted a Plus article title and Google'd it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago