Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 AM

596 posts, read 820,900 times

Advertisements

If I lived in Chicago I would just take advantage of O'hare. You can go to Colorado, Montana, New England, the West Coast for nature. Why drive up to Michigan or Wisconsin when you can fly to more scenic places. Unless there is something I'm missing about Wisconsin and Michigan. Is there? When I move there I would definitely at least drive up to Wisconsin and Michigan to see if I am missing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 03:33 AM

103 posts, read 151,071 times
Florida, Arizona, Virginia.

Gotta love Midway!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Galena, S. iL, N. WI for local area.

San Francisco, San Diego, Boston, or Vancouver if traveling long distance. Sometimes Costa Rica.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
If I lived in Chicago I would just take advantage of O'hare. You can go to Colorado, Montana, New England, the West Coast for nature. Why drive up to Michigan or Wisconsin when you can fly to more scenic places. Unless there is something I'm missing about Wisconsin and Michigan. Is there? When I move there I would definitely at least drive up to Wisconsin and Michigan to see if I am missing anything.
I love the west coast for nature, but there's some beautiful places in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. There are a few places in Michigan along the lake that don't look like it's in the midwest.

Michigan
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...bear-dunes.jpg
NLP.2806.04.jpg | Aaron Peterson Photography
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...84636a53_z.jpg

Minnesota

Wisconsin
http://media.chicagomag.com//images/...ver=1280515921

That being said, the vacation habits for people in the area vary wildly. Even many people who might travel internationally a lot still go to places like Lake Geneva, WI or Door County, WI from time to time for short vacations.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
New Buffalo and the other towns that comprise "Harbor Country" in MI

Michiana, Grand Beach, New Buffalo, Union Pier, Lakeside, Harbert, Sawyer, Three Oaks Michigan - Harbor Country Chamber of Commerce

Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Seems like Naples, Florida and Arizona are very common.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
When I lived in Chicago, it was California. Never really had the desire to go elsewhere in the summer because we had the beach and plenty of neighborhood pools and lots of festivals and free concerts from major acts. So much going on in Chicago in the summer that you don't want to miss out on anything.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Yeah it is pretty interesting that Chicago essentially becomes a tourist destination in the summer, so the need to go away for a vacation becomes less apparent. People are coming HERE for vacation. The proximity of 1 world class airport and 1 more convenient airport that makes flying somewhere for vacation easy is something that takes someone like me from Pittsburgh a while to grasp right away. Now that I think about it more, a vacation to CA, CO, FL, etc. via a quick nonstop flight seems the most desirable, with less expensive, shorter driving distance trips to MI/WI a second option. Interesting how different cities take on their vacations. In Pittsburgh, the most popular thing to do is take the 7-12 hour drive to "the beach" anywhere from Maryland all the way down to South Carolina for a week in the summer. A flight to Florida is fairy common and easy, but flights to most other places will be quite expensive and require at LEAST one layover each direction coming from PIT airport. A quick flight to Colorado, Montana, Arizona, etc. just isn't a common thing in Pittsburgh.

Edit; out of pure curiosity, I plugged in some random dates in January for a flight from Chicago to Denver. $154. Nonstop from MDW. Wow.
That same flight from Pittsburgh? $340 with a layover in Cincinnati or Minneapolis.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 08-30-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Yep, the log "hub" pricing can still make destination a heckuva deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yeah it is pretty interesting that Chicago essentially becomes a tourist destination in the summer, so the need to go away for a vacation becomes less apparent. People are coming HERE for vacation. The proximity of 1 world class airport and 1 more convenient airport that makes flying somewhere for vacation easy is something that takes someone like me from Pittsburgh a while to grasp right away. Now that I think about it more, a vacation to CA, CO, FL, etc. via a quick nonstop flight seems the most desirable, with less expensive, shorter driving distance trips to MI/WI a second option. Interesting how different cities take on their vacations. In Pittsburgh, the most popular thing to do is take the 7-12 hour drive to "the beach" anywhere from Maryland all the way down to South Carolina for a week in the summer. A flight to Florida is fairy common and easy, but flights to most other places will be quite expensive and require at LEAST one layover each direction coming from PIT airport. A quick flight to Colorado, Montana, Arizona, etc. just isn't a common thing in Pittsburgh.

Edit; out of pure curiosity, I plugged in some random dates in January for a flight from Chicago to Denver. $154. Nonstop from MDW. Wow.
That same flight from Pittsburgh? $340 with a layover in Cincinnati or Minneapolis.
I've got friends that practically spend more time skiing out west than they do in the Midwest. Not "rich" by any means just using loyalty miles from a moderate about of business travel can basically drop even round trips down low enough that half a dozen or so trips out west are totally in budget. They tell me they have friends in Colorado that live around Dallas or Atlanta and they all coordinate trips to ski country based on airline deals from those hubs too...

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...you won't find too many people that drive to the "Outer Banks". That is just too far.
We've driven to the Outer Banks and other parts of the Carolinas multiple times. It's a beautiful drive once you're in the rolling hills of Ohio. And driving through the Blue Ridge or Smokies is spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago