Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Most Jews are very welcoming and loving of all types of people, we are known for our tolerance. I am Jewish and even I don't get along with a large percentage of the Jewish population, I grew up in a town where most my friends were Irish and Italian and catholic, I love meeting people of all races and religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 01:49 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread has been cleaned up and inappropriate posts deleted or edited. It's re-opened, at least for the moment. Tread lightly, people. Read the opening post and reply to the topic presented therein. If the thread goes off-topic again, it will be permanently locked.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-18-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 02:29 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
This thread has been cleaned up and inappropriate posts deleted or edited. It's re-opened, at least for the moment. Tread lightly, people. Read the opening post and reply to the topic presented therein. If the thread goes off-topic again, it will be permanently locked.
Go ahead and ban me; you are an awful moderator.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 26,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Go ahead and ban me; you are an awful moderator.
Antisemitism isn't a good trait. I didn't even see the banned post but your others emanated with Jew hate. Have some respect!

Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
I pointed out that you are likely a troll and that it is ludicrous for you to concurrently contend that there are 10k Jews in Chicago and only they got Rahm elected.

Peace troll!

Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM

12 posts, read 26,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I pointed out that you are likely a troll and that it is ludicrous for you to concurrently contend that there are 10k Jews in Chicago and only they got Rahm elected.

Peace troll!
I didn't say there ARE 10K, I said AT LEAST 10k! I wondered how Rahm got elected because YOU said Chicago has no Jews! Antisemitic man! Vicious! This is America go to Gaza with your views!

Old 01-18-2015, 03:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
West Rogers Park and Rogers Park have vibrant Jewish communities though east Rogers Park has less. No Chicago neighborhood has a large percentage of Jews at all though.

Jewish Leaders See Revival of Faith, Culture in Rogers Park - Rogers Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Quote:
Goldberg said more Jews are coming back to his neighborhood. He opened Beit Yichud, a Jewish learning and spiritual center, last summer in the former Mess Hall and art gallery he owned and leased on Glenwood Avenue.
Quote:
"I think the story of Rogers Park is the story of cities in America. ... The younger generation is starting to come back to the cities — and not necessarily going to the suburbs — for good or for bad," said Rabbi Yoel Wolf, who moved from New York last year with his wife, Rivky, and opened Chabad of East Rogers Park in their third-floor apartment in the 6800 block of North Lakewood Avenue.
JUF News : Neighborhood Stories : West Rogers Park

Quote:
West Rogers Park, is home to the largest concentration of Jews in the city, although the numbers have declined since the l960s, when Jews comprised more than two-thirds of the total population.. Significant numbers of Jews also live in adjacent neighborhoods like Peterson Park and Hollywood Park, as well as Rogers Park, where many retirees remain, particularly along Sheridan Road.
Lots of non-Jews voted for Rahm, btw. He won every black ward quite handily. He had a lot of corporate support. Emanuel mostly dominated across race, class, and neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
Here are the Chicago eruv maps: http://www.crcweb.org/eruv%20maps.pdf Presumably these are where the most observant Jews are living. This guide cRc Guide to Jewish Chicago may also help you narrow down the kind of neighborhood you seek. It notes, among other places, the kosher groceries and restaurants. But you won't find a neighborhood with only observant Jews, as you requested in your original post.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:11 PM

397 posts, read 602,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingonadream9856 View Post

I looked up W. Rogers park and the demographics are not what this thread suggests. In the US census most Jews list their ethnicity as white (I do not but I digress) and the % of whites in the census tract was less than 40%, assuming that this areas "white" population isn't completely Jewish that means that likely 1/3 or less of the Rogers park area is jewish which doesn't seem to be much. When I speak of Jews I mean people that are visibly jewish...men with Kippot and peyot and women in skirts etc. not a person dressed "normal" eating a bacon sandwich who happens to be jewish and doesn't even speak Yiddish or Hebrew!

[snip]

I think the best way to find the area that I am looking for would be to find the census tract where a high % of people use Yiddish/Hebrew as a home language. My NYC neighborhood has something like 65% Yiddish speakers and 99% of people under 5. Doesn't have to be a large area at all for instance Belgium has but 15000 of G-ds chosen people all in Antwerp but until recently there was a neighborhood that could've been in Jerusalem or a shtetl because the Jewish people were concentrated there.

I am assuming that Chicago has a Jewish area because how else would someone like Rahm get elected if not for Jews voting for him because he is israeli and I know many Gentiles do not think highly of us..
Did you look up West Rogers Park or Rogers Park? There is West Rogers Park and East Rogers Park which are very different. West Rogers is the historical Jewish neighborhood. East Rogers Park is very Hispanic.

You will see people walking on the streets of parts of West Rogers Park in Kippot and peyot. You will see Hasidic Jews and women in long dresses with wigs. However it is a mixed neighborhood. I was in the neighborhood a few months ago and stopped in the park with my kids and my kids played with Orthodox Jewish kids and some Muslim children.

I've never been in any part of Chicago where you hear Yiddish and/or Hebrew on the street and I doubt it is spoken as the home language. I don't think the census track that you are looking for exists in Chicago.

Rahm got elected in Chicago because he's a democrat. No one cares whether he's Jewish or not.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
You just don't seem to get it, JTW spells it out really well. West Rogers Park is the ONLY area in Chicago and it's suburbs that is ANYTHING like what you're looking for. My sister lives on the east side of Rogers Park, so sometimes I drive down Devon in West Rogers Park on Saturday mornings. I see plenty of people like you describe. However, the neighborhood is NOT exclusively Jewish. Skokie used to be heavily Jewish, but the demographics have changed a lot. Most of the Jews I know are much more secular than what you're looking for.

As for how Rahm got elected - are you prejudiced against non-Jews? He got elected because tons of religious and non religious Christians voted for him!

Last edited by knitgirl; 01-18-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago