Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
Did you look up West Rogers Park or Rogers Park? There is West Rogers Park and East Rogers Park which are very different. West Rogers is the historical Jewish neighborhood. East Rogers Park is very Hispanic.

You will see people walking on the streets of parts of West Rogers Park in Kippot and peyot. You will see Hasidic Jews and women in long dresses with wigs. However it is a mixed neighborhood. I was in the neighborhood a few months ago and stopped in the park with my kids and my kids played with Orthodox Jewish kids and some Muslim children.

I've never been in any part of Chicago where you hear Yiddish and/or Hebrew on the street and I doubt it is spoken as the home language. I don't think the census track that you are looking for exists in Chicago.

Rahm got elected in Chicago because he's a democrat. No one cares whether he's Jewish or not.
Both east and west. I know West Rogers park is the traditional area, but some parts of East Rogers park are becoming more Jewish.

I do agree that West Rogers park is probably the only area that would work for the OP.

When I lived in Skokie, there were many Orthodox Jews walking to Temple on Shabbot. There may be less now than when we lived there in the late 90s, but I suspect there are still some Orthodox neighborhoods.

Orthodox Congregations in Skokie:

Persian Hebrew Congregation

Skokie Valley Agudath Jacob Synagogue - Traditional

Young Israel of Skokie

Congregation Or Torah

Lubavitch Chabad of Skokie - Your resource for Jewish needs in Skokie, IL

Kehilat Chovevei Tzion - Helping to Build Our Community's Future

Cong. BHH Kesser Maariv AL - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingonadream9856 View Post
I didn't say there ARE 10K, I said AT LEAST 10k! I wondered how Rahm got elected because YOU said Chicago has no Jews! Antisemitic man! Vicious! This is America go to Gaza with your views!
As a fellow Jew of yours - saying a place has no Jews is anti semetic? Since when? I don't want to start anything, but that's kind of a weird thing to accuse.

Or maybe I missed the post because it was deleted, but still.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As a fellow Jew of yours - saying a place has no Jews is anti semetic? Since when? I don't want to start anything, but that's kind of a weird thing to accuse.

Or maybe I missed the post because it was deleted, but still.
I think because I pointed out a study that suggested Ashkanazi Jews intermarried with Europeans far more previously thought. Here it is:

Surprise: Ashkenazi Jews Are Genetically European

Then I pointed out that most all-Jewish neighborhoods in the US are a thing if the past, and from Southfield, MI, to Skokie, that is largely true.

Third I pointed out it was silly to say Jewish women would be scared of Gentiles--sorry, goys.

Fourth and most comically I pointed out his dual contention that, on one hand, he guesses there are only 10k Jews in Chicago, but no non Jews were likely to vote for Rahm, based on uniform gentile anti-Semetism, I suppose.

Anyway, short of anything substantive or moderately interesting, I will remove myself from this bottom feeder conversation.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Mod cut.

I think it is pretty common knowledge that all-Jewish suburbs and urban neighborhoods are by and large a thing of the past.
In most of the U.S., yes. In the NYC area, no. The difference is twofold- size of community, and Orthodox orientation. The NYC area Jewish population is not just many times bigger, but dominated by Orthodox, which basically have to live in all Jewish areas.

There are tons of all Orthodox Jewish areas in the NYC area, and the number of such areas are growing. The non Orthodox Jewish population of somewhere like Kiryas Joel, NY or Monsey, NY (both are suburbs) is basically zero.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:35 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingonadream9856 View Post
Is it an orthodox community? Do you see people in traditional dressings walking around? Are the stores and restaurants kosher observant? Does the commerce cease on shabbos?
Does not exist in Chicagoland. Closest thing would probably be West Rogers Park or Skokie, but again, these are the "old neighborhood", they are generally older communities where the kids are in suburbs further out (places like Northbrook/Buffalo Grove). Chicago Jewish population has plenty of Orthodox but does not lean Orthodox like in NYC area.

If you want a neighborhood that is like 80%+ Jewish, I don't think that exists outside the NYC area, and maybe a few very small enclaves around LA and Miami. Chicago Jews are more secular and integrated, and less in number. Rahm's election has zero to do with his religious background.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 PM

^ Right. And the OP is not moving to NYC (I don't' think), so finding these things in other cities will be harder (though they certainly exist in small numbers) especially for orthodoxy. Cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc have it but nowhere even in the same universe as what NYC has.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Then I pointed out that most all-Jewish neighborhoods in the US are a thing if the past, and from Southfield, MI, to Skokie, that is largely true.

Third I pointed out it was silly to say Jewish women would be scared of Gentiles--sorry, goys.
Anyway, short of anything substantive or moderately interesting, I will remove myself from this bottom feeder conversation.
I thought you made some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
In most of the U.S., yes. In the NYC area, no. The difference is twofold- size of community, and Orthodox orientation. The NYC area Jewish population is not just many times bigger, but dominated by Orthodox, which basically have to live in all Jewish areas.

There are tons of all Orthodox Jewish areas in the NYC area, and the number of such areas are growing. The non Orthodox Jewish population of somewhere like Kiryas Joel, NY or Monsey, NY (both are suburbs) is basically zero.
Quote:
Does not exist in Chicagoland.
If you want a neighborhood that is like 80%+ Jewish, I don't think that exists outside the NYC area, and maybe a few very small enclaves around LA and Miami. Chicago Jews are more secular and integrated, and less in number. Rahm's election has zero to do with his religious background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Right. And the OP is not moving to NYC (I don't' think), so finding these things in other cities will be harder (though they certainly exist in small numbers) especially for orthodoxy. Cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc have it but nowhere even in the same universe as what NYC has.
^^^In short for the OP, Chicago is not like NYC and it doesn't seem it will fit his wants/needs.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Does not exist in Chicagoland. Closest thing would probably be West Rogers Park or Skokie, but again, these are the "old neighborhood", they are generally older communities where the kids are in suburbs further out (places like Northbrook/Buffalo Grove). Chicago Jewish population has plenty of Orthodox but does not lean Orthodox like in NYC area.

Pikesville, Maryland (suburb outside of Baltimore) is another true major majority Orthodox Jewish area. I went to graduate school in Maryland, and all the Orthodox Jews lived there.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^In short for the OP, Chicago is not like NYC and it doesn't seem it will fit his wants/needs.
For more observant Judaism, especially Orthodoxy, there is no comparison to NYC outside of Israel really these days. It's not even close. Los Angeles and Miami have a lot of Jews too, but many of them for example are not necessarily the same as what we're getting at. They have communities, but yeah. Chicago is actually not that bad outside of NYC but if you're expecting to find another NYC then you aren't going to find it period really anywhere else in the world on a big big scale. There's communities in LA, Miami, Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, etc in North America but you know...nothing even comes close to NYC.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,559 times
Most of the Orthodox/Hasidic Jewish people I've seen in Chicago are concentrated in West Rogers Park (specifically West Ridge, bordered by Howard on the north, Western on the east, Peterson on the south and Kedzie on the west), Peterson Park and Albany Park near the Yeshiva on Foster near Bohemian National Cemetery. Skokie used to be over half Jewish, but has become a lot more mixed in recent years. Most of the Jewish population of Chicago and the suburbs are Reform or Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago