Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times

Advertisements

Are you going to have to pay for parking in the intern building downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 15,519 times
Yes ace there aren't any with parking

Old 01-29-2015, 03:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
You may also wanna consider just driving. I used to commute from the northern suburbs to the West Side of Chicago and it took me around 45 minutes on average. The commute from downtown to Oak Brook is 19 miles which is about 25 minutes without traffic, but during rush hour, it's going to be longer than that, especially since you have to take the Eisenhower. It totally beats having to take a 30 minute ride on the metra to Hinsdale, then on a bus or in an Uber taxi 10-15 minutes, then paying a lot of money for a longer commute.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 PM

I'd probably just deal with the drive for the summer, it isn't like you are taking a permanent position out there.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
He says that he can't afford parking his car downtown.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM

Are there any housing options in Chicago outside of downtown? Can you secure your own housing?

Old 01-29-2015, 05:44 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,351 times
Your best bet is to bike to Union Station, take the Metra BNSF to Hinsdale, and bike up to Oak Brook from there.

You also have the option of taking the Metra Northwest to Elmhurst and bike to Oak Brook from there.

Depending on where your office is, the ride from either train to Oak Brook will be 4.5-6 miles each way.

The main advantage of taking the BNSF is that there are a number of express trains going non-stop from Union Station to Hinsdale, which is a fifteen or seventeen minute ride, vs local westbound trains which take roughly a half hour.

You probably already know this, but in case you don't, Metra allows bikes on trains running opposite to rush hour.

On average, weather permits 4 bike rides per week during the summer, and you will not be allowed on train with your bike during Taste of Chicago or Lollapalooza.

On rainy days (or festival days), you have no alternative but to drive.

As long as you are on the expressway by 5:45-6:00 AM, the drive is about 30 minutes.

By 6:15 it is reliably 45 minutes, but 6:30 it takes an hour. So it definitely pays to get out early.

Oak Brook has a really good (and cheap) LA fitness, which is one way to kill time in the mornings. I'm sure you can find others.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:58 PM

321 posts, read 372,128 times
One option would be to live in the Little Italy / University Village area if you're driving to work. The commute would be a little better than if you lived downtown (though it would still suck), the rent and parking would be cheaper (parking might even be free, actually), and you'd be living in an area with a lot of young people and close to downtown. It might be challenging to find a place to rent for just the summer, but maybe you could find a UIC student who is leaving for the summer and subletting their place.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:53 PM

440 posts, read 533,958 times
Another idea is a summer sublet in Oak Park if you can find one with parking included. It's a vibrant community with plenty of events happening in the summer and a lively night scene, so not like being out in Oak Brook. The commute shouldn't be nearly as bad as all the way from the city. And both Metra and the L go into the city for weekends. From what I've heard, there's a large college student population in the area so there should be some sublets.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Agree with UC18 and CatWarmer. Either would be better options than living further east. Oak Park is right next to River Forest where Dominican University is so there could definitely be summer sublets in those neighborhoods. Another thought which I haven't researched is to check and see if either university has summer student housing. I know years ago (they may still do it), International House at the University of Chicago offered it. I would also call the employer and ask them what their previous interns have done. I know you said they wouldn't hook you up with the other interns, but maybe there is some sort of housing option they're aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago