Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Where are you meeting these former Chicagoans, and were they born and bred in Chicago, or did they just pass through? I don't know many people like you describe.
These are many people (about 30) over a period of 35 years. About 8 were neighbors of mine in Atlanta, 6 were a neighbors and community members in Birmingham, 4 were co-workers of my then-husband 25 years ago, 4 are residents here in South Florida, and the rest are 'snowbirds' who come part time and leave. They are ALL born and bred in Chicago, with family there.

I was born here and lived a few years in other places, and had to come back to the sunshine, thus I knew these people in a number of areas.

The one common theme seems to be the bragging - where they lived in Chicago "and you know, that's THE best area" kind of comments. They are all loud. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'll have a go at this one ...

You're self-selecting, and only commenting on ex-Chicago residents who irritate you, because you don't know how many ex-Chicago residents you know who don't bother with bragging and 'big talk'.
Actually, I make it a point to know where all of our acquaintances are from. It's only polite to know about people and to be interested in them. The socio-economic range of these people is actually broad, from retired public servant on fixed income to office workers to business owners to worker-bees to yacht owners.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM

265 posts, read 404,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ugh. As funny as that skit was, Ive never met a Chicagoan that was even remotely close (mentality or accent) to the characters SNL portrayed. Yes, we love our Bears, but cmon.
Then I take it you've never been to the south side

Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
UCommunityInterest---Those former Chicagoans, especially probably elder, use which neighborhood they lived. Is cause you in some ways, were judged and classed by where you lived. How far north and west according to what hundred block your address was in how Chicago 's layout is ,on the North side. Or south side, south and west. Example..I live 6400 north and 5400 west. They knew what neighborhood you lived. Good. Changing. Not so good. Why Chicago was for decades the most segregated one. In their way, they were telling you, they lived in a great Chicago neighborhood. Especially If you took it as a boast. Today it is less a standard. Cause many once down neighborhoods have undergone gentrification. But they still still know......I too when I moved there didn't at first understand.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
The Chicagoland/Chicago personality is: strong willed, tough minded, hurried, and having a good sense of humor. People keep it real because authenticity is the backbone of the blue collar mentality the city/metro area still maintains.

P.S. I really miss it. People are too soft and slow out here.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:05 AM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The Chicagoland/Chicago personality is: strong willed, tough minded, hurried, and having a good sense of humor. People keep it real because authenticity is the backbone of the blue collar mentality the city/metro area still maintains.

P.S. I really miss it. People are too soft and slow out here.
California is the same way.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Sportsy/friendly. I don't care about sports, but I do like people who say hello. But the atmosphere could be a little more intellectual for my taste.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Default soft and slow.

I don't know if I agree with the Chicago type comments.

I know a few Chicago types in St. Louis tries to play rough and tough but it is all mouth other wise there would be a problem.

There is nothing wrong with bragging about your home town. I like to hear about places people come from and what they liked about it. But there again when they put down the new city because it isn't like Chicago I quickly tell them to go back. Then they usually give the reasons why they left.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:35 AM

25 posts, read 80,551 times
Very NYC. Have lived in Chicago 20 years. Love NYC as well tho. I would move there if I were to move anywhere long-term. Temporarily living in Portland OR, (Chicago's polar opposite) and have also lived in L.A. and a couple small small towns in Indiana. My whole Chicago-Irish family has been in the City over 100 yrs now. So I'll try to do some justice to it....!

In summary: everything including us goes fast and faster. Think fast, talk fast, adapt fast, work fast. Proactive problem solvers, not passive *at all*, definitely extroverts (we can and will talk to everyone on the elevator -why wouldn't you?!?) Pretty much fearless, strong (you gotta be or this City and this Climate will kill you!) and very good fighters, if the situation calls for it. Also, stylish, creative, and willing to be 'out in front' of trends and whatever is 'newest' - hair, clothes, gadgets, swagger- we are always checking you out, whether it looks like we are or not There are tons of people from all over here so we are open to new things and always watching for the next one. Downside: we can come across aggressive, pushy, loud, judgemental and difficult to people who aren't accustomed to Chicagoans. But all in all, you cannot help but love us b/c Chicago is the Best City in the World! (NO BIAS HERE! LOL!)

Everyone talks faster in NY/Chi than in any other US cities I've been to. If we're talking fast with someone we don't know (perhaps you) it's b/c we are respecting your time by not wasting it as we're sure you have plenty of other crap to get done right now rather than stand around jawing with some stranger; not to mention "****! there goes my train!" LOL! It is never meant as an insult but rather as a form of consideration. Compared with other places I've lived, there is a lot more hustle in our personalities: proactive, fearless, 'just do it' type of thing. I honestly think you wouldn't make it through the week, much less the year, here without it! It's true in the job market here and it's true in many other areas as well. I personally love it but if you are a more laid back, mellow type of person you may feel like you're a non-swimmer drowning in very high seas.

I find natives of both NY and Chi to be very courteous and pleasant. Can't say how many times I've puzzled over a map on the NY subway and had someone say "whaddya looking for?" and help me find it right away. Also can't name how many times in the 15 years I've been working on Mich Ave that I've seen tourists puzzling over a similar map and I've done the same thing. It's just normal City Niceness We don't have to 'wait to be asked' we can kinda just see they need some assistance there - lol!

We have people from all over the world here, living and/or visiting, all. the. time. So Chicagoans adapt quickly.

The Chicago accent is a lot like a Brooklyn accent (tho I am sure Brooklyners with disagree(. I love it! Here's the real Chicago accent - just click play:
The Regular Guy Reviews Another Teen Novel Cash Grab, Insurgent « WXRT

While there's plenty of sweats and cheap beer swillin on weekends, particularly in the more working class/blue collar "old neighborhoods", on average I think Chicagoans are quite stylish and very good looking! (I'm not including myself here!)

Stylishness is a 'thing' here like no other US city I've been to, except NY. Hair, dress, swagger, etc - we notice.

Now I'm not talking about what you were to a Cubs game on a Saturday afternoon to just drink - but what you would normally see downtown, on say Mich Ave and the Financial Distr, going to and from work or evenings in the Gold Coast and Lakeview. I love that about us. Creativity and style are alive and well in Chi-town.

We can also be a bit 'keeping up with the Joneses' tho. Who on your block is doing their own lawn vs who has a lawn service? What car are you driving and what do you do for a living? Where did you get that coat? That kind of thing. If that bothers you to begin with, you would def notice it more in Chi.

We are definitely NOT passive-aggressive. Chicagoans are VERY good fighters and have no problem getting in your face, and telling you exactly what they think of you, should you overstep yourself or become offensive. Just look at how we drive on the Eisenhower and Kennedy in the morning or watch what happens if someone has shoveled a spot for their own car and some a-hole comes along and removes the folding chair. It will be fireworks.

But Chicagoans WILL help you out. True Story: I blew a tire out in a pot hole at 5am on the West Side at Kedzie and Washington - a rough area of the City to say the least. It was on one of the coldest days of the year - I think it was about minus 20 with the windchill. No Triple AAA and nobody to call that particular day. THREE different guys came to my rescue, totally randomly! Lifting up the car, getting the existing tire off, which took power tools even, and getting the spare tire on. Then called a tow truck. And these guys had a snow shoveling business to run but even on one of the busiest days of their year, they came to my aid instead. ! The 3rd guy was a service mechanic from the gas station I'd broken down by and he used a bunch of tools from the shop to get the blown tire removed. The tow trucks were so busy that morning, due to the cold weather and the pot holes, that the wait was like 3 hours 0 so one of the guys just walked onto Washington & Kedzie, where this happened, and flagged down a passing tow truck! And that's the truck that got me home. And that's a neighborhood most people would be 'scared' to have a car break down in. So there you go.

I hope that helped!!

-from a Chicago Immigrant living in Portland, Kelly

Old 04-07-2015, 12:49 AM

25 posts, read 80,551 times
And everyone has a great *sarcastic* sense of humor! How could I leave that off? I guess it seemed so obvious

And not much for rule-following either; another thing I miss greatly. Love you Chi!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago