Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah yeah, I know, I'm a moral failure, unpatriotic, unconverned about the plight of my fellow man, blah blah blah, *** *** ***, insert stock snide lecture and moral preening here. I've heard it all before and I can't be arsed anymore.

So here's the deal, sport-o: when you had to resort to calling me a moonbat, it became clear there was no point in carrying on. You seem more interested in winning an argument than having a discussion. Since that's what you seem to need, I'll concede it to you: you win. Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back. But I'm still going to shop at Walmart whenever it suits my needs.
The question is why would you shop there?

PRICES are not lower overall. They have a reputation for low prices, but you can get most things just as cheaply at other stores. The quality of goods at Walmart is also questionable. Often things fall apart because they are not well made, so you may buy something for a lower price, but if it lasts only half as long, you have not gotten a bargain.

Walmart versus Target - price comparison using a Twenty-Item Checklist

Wal-Mart's Luxury Problem

They sell shoddy imitations of luxury goods as well. Of course, the prices on these are lower. They are not what Walmart wants you to believe they are.

Quote:
Fendi, a purse and handbag brand of French luxury goods company LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMHF), is suing Wal-Mart Stores in federal court in New York, alleging that counterfeit versions of its Fendi brand bags and wallets are being sold in Sam's Club stores.
Quote:
This isn't the first time Wal-Mart has been sued for selling counterfeit goods. And Wal-Mart has offered a similar defense in the past. In 1998, after many rounds in court over several years with Tommy Hilfiger it paid out $6.4 million to settle a lawsuit that it was selling fake Hilfiger brand T-shirts. And in 1999 it paid more than $1 million to Nike (NKE) after being sued on similar charges.

Wal-Mart has also settled lawsuits on similar claims with Nautica, Polo (RL), and the Fubu group at Inter Parfums (IPAR). "You'd think that these cases would stop with Wal-Mart being one of the largest and most sophisticated companies in the world," says Steven Gursky, partner at law firm Dreier LLP in New York, who represented Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, Nautica, and Fubu in their cases against Wal-Mart. "I suspect that there was a breakdown in communicating the simplest of instructions down the hierarchy to the actual people who purchase and sell goods," says Drier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The question is why would you shop there?
That's my business. And if you don't want to shop there, that's yours. I don't spend my energies trying to persuade everyone to share my shopping preferences and I don't understand why so many people are simply incapable of showing the same courtesy.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM

229 posts, read 293,724 times
"don't shop there if you don't like walmart" - the dumbest argument ever.

If I don't shop there then others most certainly will. They are the same people who scream that there are no jobs and that everything is made in china nowadays. Yet, they all support walmart by shopping there....

I don't care if by signing a petition that banishes walmart from my town invades your personal shopping preferences. If you can't afford paying additional 10 cents for paper towels and that shopping at walmart is the only reason you're still getting by, then you must be doing something wrong.

There isn't a single good thing about walmart. People only shop there for low prices not realizing the affect it has on our economy and our ways of live.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
We kept Walmart out of our town by means of an election. I don't patronize them anywhere. Each to his/her own.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
"don't shop there if you don't like walmart" - the dumbest argument ever.

If I don't shop there then others most certainly will. They are the same people who scream that there are no jobs and that everything is made in china nowadays. Yet, they all support walmart by shopping there....

I don't care if by signing a petition that banishes walmart from my town invades your personal shopping preferences. If you can't afford paying additional 10 cents for paper towels and that shopping at walmart is the only reason you're still getting by, then you must be doing something wrong.

There isn't a single good thing about walmart. People only shop there for low prices not realizing the affect it has on our economy and our ways of live.
You anti-Walmart people really need to get your argument straight. Which is it -- is it that their drive to lower prices is bad for the economy, or is it that there really is no difference in prices between Walmart and other retailers? It can't be both, so for the sake of forming a coherent argument, pick one and go with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's my business. And if you don't want to shop there, that's yours. I don't spend my energies trying to persuade everyone to share my shopping preferences and I don't understand why so many people are simply incapable of showing the same courtesy.
Then it's hypocritical you chose to engage people in a folder clearly meant to discuss the topic and weigh in with opinions.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Then it's hypocritical you chose to engage people in a folder clearly meant to discuss the topic and weigh in with opinions.
Eh.... not really. I'm perfectly capable of sharing my opinions without telling others how they should order their personal affairs. I'm not the slightest bit interested in where you shop. You, on the other hand, are intensely interested in where I shop.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
We kept Walmart out of our town by means of an election. I don't patronize them anywhere. Each to his/her own.
In our town in Chicagoland, the mayor said that Walmart would not be allowed to build a store in his town.

The next election, he was soundly defeated 70%-30%.

Now our grocery store prices are as low as in neighboring towns - and two other stores have added locations in town.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In our town in Chicagoland, the mayor said that Walmart would not be allowed to build a store in his town.
Which one is that?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I don't like Walmart because they're anti union and sell mostly foreign goods. But then most stores, including Target, the darling of cheapskate social liberals, are anti union and sell mostly foreign goods.

I think many people who dislike Walmart are snobs and dislike it because they hold the unfashionable middle and low income people who shop there in contempt.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 02-19-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago