Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawantstoknow View Post
We are moving from Atlanta but have only been here about a year. We came from Arizona.

We don't need to be right in the middle of college town but nearby would be good. She needs to get out and meet people that are busy and wanting to do things and go places. Not just be cooped up in the house all day.
Cool. I don't think that would be a problem - is she of legal drinking age too? IMO the only areas you'd feel like you were right in the middle of a college town would be either Wrigleyville, near DePaul University in Lincoln Park, near U of Illinois-Chicago, or way up north near Loyola University in Rogers Park. University of Chicago's area, Hyde Park, is different. If she's not adverse to riding public transit, then she'll be able to get out in a number of areas or just walk around the area in which you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 02:26 PM

18 posts, read 16,978 times
Awesome. Yes she just turned legal drinking age. You how that goes haha.

I might have to find a hotel for a while until I actually get into Chicago and can take the time to look around. Sounds like there is alot if choices.

I was just telling my daughter about all the information and she said thank you as well! She doesn't have a problem taking the oubkuc transit either. We got used to it for a while when we lived in Arizona. Although I am sure it is nothing as advanced as Chicago's.

How long have yiu been in Chicago? Sounds like you have so much information.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM

498 posts, read 725,130 times
I'm confused, why don't you just live in Chinatown if that's what you're looking for?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Awesome. Yes she just turned legal drinking age. You how that goes haha.
Haha, yes. I hope she's careful...

Quote:
I might have to find a hotel for a while until I actually get into Chicago and can take the time to look around. Sounds like there is alot if choices.
Yeah definitely. If you're moving this week or next, I'd take a little time and make sure you are getting something you aren't going to hate. There are also apartment finding services available like Chicago Apartment Finders. However, you should know that they work like a real estate company and are only aware of listings that were given directly to them. They also sometimes may use high pressure sales tactics to get you to sign something. I think most are free though, but these are things you should be aware of if you do use them. They by no means have a large percentage of overall listings available to them. Very small percentage even though they may have an ample number of listings.

Quote:
I was just telling my daughter about all the information and she said thank you as well! She doesn't have a problem taking the oubkuc transit either. We got used to it for a while when we lived in Arizona. Although I am sure it is nothing as advanced as Chicago's.
Awesome. Yeah, the public transit of Chicago is much larger and more advanced than anything you'll find in both Phoenix or Tucson. The bus system alone in Chicago has a ridership of about 1 million per day. Phoenix by contrast is about 125,000. The average daily ridership of the train system here last year was over 750,000. Phoenix's light rail has something like 50,000 daily ridership.

Random other stuff:
* There's 8 train lines and over 100 bus lines. 7 of the train lines converge in the CBD (Loop).
* 2 train lines run 24/7 (Blue and Red Lines)
* The Blue Line goes to O'Hare Airport while the Orange Line goes to Midway Airport
* Most of the system's track is above ground, so you can see some cool stuff just for a few dollars. Though part of the Blue and Red Lines both run in the middle of an interstate which isn't very scenic. Both though do cut through other neighborhoods.
* A few of the lines can take you to a few suburbs (which don't really look like suburbs) such as Oak Park and Cicero to the west and Evanston (where Northwestern Univ is) and Skokie to the north.

* The card/payment system for the transit system is known as Ventra. You can order a pass online or buy some passes at train stops or even places like Walgreens
* You can do a pay as you go plan or I believe an unlimited monthly pass is something like $100/month.
* If you use a train, get off, then come back within 2 hours (could be another stop) then the fare is only 25 cents the second time around. Transferring within the Loop is free.

* There are many transit tracking apps which will tell you when the next __ train or bus will come at a particular stop. You can even track them on a map and get their approximate location. This will be important when it gets cold out and you're trying to limit your time outside, especially if you've never experienced cold weather.

* There is a big Bike Share program called Divvy with a daily ridership of close to 15,000. Very shortly it will be expanded to 475 stations and 4750 bikes making it the largest program in North America. Costs $75/year for unlimited rides. More used like public transit than joy riding, with 30 minute time limits until you have to check into another station and return or renew for another 30 minutes.

There's also thousands of cabs and services like Uber available.

Quote:
How long have yiu been in Chicago? Sounds like you have so much information.
Only 6 years, though I used to visit before that. I like to get out and explore the city as much as possible since there's so much and it's a pretty big city with a lot going on and a lot of history.

Random other things about the city:
* Lake Michigan is a huge lake and you can't see the other side of it. In fact, if you're coming in from somewhere like NYC, it'll usually take you 30 minutes to get across it. At 500 MPH, it would still take 15 minutes.

* There are over 30 beaches in town including some right downtown like Oak Street Beach and Ohio Street Beach (near Navy Pier). These beaches are free and a few can get packed like Oak Street Beach and North Avenue Beach (which also has volleyball and DJs playing in the summer).

* The lake front is almost all public land - there's also an 18 mile long bike/running path that connects pretty much all the beaches. Lot of people run/bike on here.

* Next to all of this is Lake Shore Drive, which is sort of a highway with no traffic lights for awhile. There are some buses that run express from parts of Lakeview to Michigan Avenue (huge shopping area).

* The summers here are really something with over 400 street festivals in neighborhoods. That's everything from BBQ Fests to full on music fests with bands or DJs playing in the street. (like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dTjJC8LsE4)

City of Chicago :: Chicago Neighborhood Festivals

* Many ethnic areas - Mexican, Puerto Rican, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Greek, Polish, etc.

* Lot of music going on including big festivals in the summer like Lollapalooza, Pitchfork, Spring Awakening, etc. There's also free music festivals like the Jazz Fest, Blues Fest, International Music Festival, etc. There's also the Grant Park Music Festival which plays classical music every week for free.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
I'm confused, why don't you just live in Chinatown if that's what you're looking for?
They are looking for somewhere cheap basically - I think they might have been assuming that Chicago is more expensive than reality based on the $1600/month budget given for a 2 bedroom. That won't afford everywhere, but many many neighborhoods can work with that budget.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Thank you, I feel like I should be taking notes! There so much to do and learn about Chicago. I can't wait to start. I like the idea of bike rentals. That's a healthy way to see the sites and not have to worry about getting the bike home or where to put it in the apartment.

This is what we look forward to. Always something to do or see and it doesn't always cost an arm and a leg.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 PM

I do see the other posts but it seems like a lot of people got hooked on the word "Chinatown" and read no other part of my post. That's okay though.

To all those wondering why I just don't move there or why I would want to move there, please actually read my post again. I wanted the inexpensive concept that went along with that thought and also mentioned old architecture and that I really had no clue what is there since I have never lived there. Sorry to have confused any readers out there. Thanks for the understanding.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I feel like I should be taking notes! There so much to do and learn about Chicago. I can't wait to start. I like the idea of bike rentals. That's a healthy way to see the sites and not have to worry about getting the bike home or where to put it in the apartment.
Yep! Though there's a 30 minute time limit but that's basically checking into another station and getting another 30 minute extension. The system has been pretty successful, which is why they're about to roll out almost 2000 extra bikes any week now..

Quote:
This is what we look forward to. Always something to do or see and it doesn't always cost an arm and a leg.
For sure - of course there is the "arm and a leg" thing too. Always something to do though - many people get into their own little habits of doing a little bit. If you keep checking stuff like the Chicago Reader and other events calendars, you can find stuff.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are many museums in town and some are even free:
* National Museum of Mexican Art
* Smart Museum of Art
* The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago
* The Renaissance Society - The Renaissance Society is a contemporary art museum free and open to the public
* Garfield Park Conservatory

I think there are other, smaller ones but these are just off the top of my head

There are also free museum days for Illinois residents. For example, the Art Institute is free for all Illinois residents from 5-8pm every Thursday. Just show your Illinois ID/License. If you want that by the way, the license is a written test if you have it in another state already. Basically show a few articles of proof for residence (such as a copy of a lease and utility bill or something) and something like a passport (or license and birth certificate if you don't have a passport).

If you're into performing arts like Theatre too, Chicago is basically the 2nd largest market outside of NYC. There's some big productions going on in the Loop but also small community ones spread throughout the city. Also a fair number of improv comedy type of shows the largest being Second City, which has a long list of alum like Bill Murray, Alan Arkin, Dan Akroyd, John Candy, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Mike Myers, Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey, etc. Chicago Blues music is of course famous with some amazing musicians here who aren't very well known anywhere but are just as talented as anybody. Of course other music is plentiful.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I wanted the inexpensive concept that went along with that thought and also mentioned old architecture and that I really had no clue what is there since I have never lived there.
There's loads of old buildings in Chicago. There are many new buildings of course, but definitely more old (pre 1970s) than anything. Of course, there are many remodeled units too in old buildings, but there are many many buildings with character throughout the city.

Random examples:
* Wicker Park - http://chicagoarchitecturedata.com/b...waukee-avenue/
* Lakeview - http://chicagoarchitecturedata.com/b...elmont-avenue/
* Lincoln Square - http://chicagoarchitecturedata.com/b...incoln-avenue/

Old 04-12-2015, 04:43 PM

There is so much to do! I bet if I set a goal to see at least one thing new each day of the weekend, including Friday's, I would be busy for years.

I do like live theater, concerts, art and museums. I love cultural events and culinary experiences. I want to find some local farmer markets, depending on where I find a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago