Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 AM

241 posts, read 465,881 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

You will likely see a number of posts from me in the coming months. I will be moving to chicago in late summer/early fall, around July/August/September, thankfully have a job lined up and everything. I'm trying to narrow down my neighborhood selection. I've come down to (probably the norm of) near northside/goldcoast, south lakeview (don't really like the wrigglyville area), lincoln park, oldtown, and maybe bucktown/wickerpark area. I want to be around young people/professionals such as myself but I also am not into the "get plastered every single night/weekend" scene. I enjoy that regularly, but not exclusively. There are certainly many other activities I enjoy.

Anyway, I have an opportunity via a friend of a friend essentially to get a place in UK, a 2bdr (which I certainly dont need) for under 1000 a month. The thing is while saving money obviously sounds great, I kinda had my heart set on one of the "typical" northside neighborhoods. During my internship, I sort of settled for the lower cost area of Lincoln Square/Ravenswood and I think it made my experience less enjoyable. I was an hour commute (about 10-15 by bus then 30-35 by train) from the loop, lincoln park, and basically anywhere I would want to go. I kinda wanted to avoid this situation again, but I'm fairly ignorant to the UK area so I figured I'd ask around here. The place is around W. Chicago ave and N. Rockwell st., can anyone provide some insight on this area? One thing I will say about anywhere I live is that I will need parking. Even though I may sometimes work at the office in the loop, we typically go to client sites which could (very likely) be in the suburbs.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,875 times
Chicago & Rockwell is Humboldt Park, not Uk Village. But, it is the nicer part of Humboldt Park as high rents in Uk Vllg proper push people into the easern HP area. It's an OK area, I kind of like it over there.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Chicago & Rockwell is Humboldt Park, not Uk Village. But, it is the nicer part of Humboldt Park as high rents in Uk Vllg proper push people into the easern HP area. It's an OK area, I kind of like it over there.
Ah ok, thank you for that clarification. Thats another problem I run into with my ignorance of the area. Someone will say its Area X and it ends up actually being Area Y. Thats part of what happened over the summer. I was told Lincoln Square when in reality it was just about Ravenswood. Very very north.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Ah ok, thank you for that clarification. Thats another problem I run into with my ignorance of the area. Someone will say its Area X and it ends up actually being Area Y. Thats part of what happened over the summer. I was told Lincoln Square when in reality it was just about Ravenswood. Very very north.
LOL could be a lot worse than "Oh crap you told me it was this but it's Ravenswood." People do this to sell it - Ukrainian Village right now has a hotter and safer connotation than Humboldt Park, so they will say it that way.

I mean, if you're wanting to go to Lincoln Park, then living in Ukrainian Village isn't going to make it better if you're taking public transit. I still have no idea how it would take you 30+ minutes to get from Ravenswood to Lincoln Park, but if you are wanting to hang out on the north side, then I think your travel times from an area like UK Village are going to be worse than where you were before (unless you're just going to the Loop, then that can be pretty fast).

Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I still have no idea how it would take you 30+ minutes to get from Ravenswood to Lincoln Park
Honestly, I'm not sure either, but it would take me forever. Maybe not quite THAT long to Lincoln Park but easily 45 mins total.

But anyway, yes I agree that if thats my biggest problem, it wasnt bad. But being new to the city and being a 45 min commute to anywhere my coworkers hung out got frustrating. Point being I just want to make sure I have a FIRM understanding of where I'll actually be this time

Old 04-08-2015, 04:37 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
Technically, Lincoln Square is a "community area" that includes other neighborhoods, Ravenswood being one. So I dont think they were being totally disingenuous selling it to you as that. Its really only a difference of a couple L stops (Montrose vs Western), unless you were living way further north on Ravensood Ave. I perceive Lincoln Square and Ravenswood being about equi-distance north...Lincoln Square is just a bit further west.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
I would pick Lincoln Square over Ukranian Village any day... Unless you were very close to Division Street and could walk to the Blue Line.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would pick Lincoln Square over Ukranian Village any day... Unless you were very close to Division Street and could walk to the Blue Line.
Thank you for your input. Honestly I think I will likely turn this place down. I think ultimately I'll be happier in the north side neighborhoods (GC, river north, LP, LV, etc) even though they will be pricier. If I could get a decent studio for about 1,000 with either street parking or something similar, I'd be very satisfied. Am I delusional? From my research it seems like its possible..

Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Hello all,

You will likely see a number of posts from me in the coming months. I will be moving to chicago in late summer/early fall, around July/August/September, thankfully have a job lined up and everything. I'm trying to narrow down my neighborhood selection. I've come down to (probably the norm of) near northside/goldcoast, south lakeview (don't really like the wrigglyville area), lincoln park, oldtown, and maybe bucktown/wickerpark area. I want to be around young people/professionals such as myself but I also am not into the "get plastered every single night/weekend" scene. I enjoy that regularly, but not exclusively. There are certainly many other activities I enjoy.

Anyway, I have an opportunity via a friend of a friend essentially to get a place in UK, a 2bdr (which I certainly dont need) for under 1000 a month. The thing is while saving money obviously sounds great, I kinda had my heart set on one of the "typical" northside neighborhoods. During my internship, I sort of settled for the lower cost area of Lincoln Square/Ravenswood and I think it made my experience less enjoyable. I was an hour commute (about 10-15 by bus then 30-35 by train) from the loop, lincoln park, and basically anywhere I would want to go. I kinda wanted to avoid this situation again, but I'm fairly ignorant to the UK area so I figured I'd ask around here. The place is around W. Chicago ave and N. Rockwell st., can anyone provide some insight on this area? One thing I will say about anywhere I live is that I will need parking. Even though I may sometimes work at the office in the loop, we typically go to client sites which could (very likely) be in the suburbs.

Thanks for all your help!

How are you an hour commute from anywhere you wanted to go when you stayed at Lincoln Square or Ravenswood??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago