Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 AM

2,506 posts, read 3,382,046 times

Advertisements

disclaimer...native Chicagoan, from the North Side, lived abroad for two decades, returned to Gary.

Just returned to Chicago area after two decades abroad, and chose to invest in the Miller Beach community of NWI. Many many reasons....but

after ubering for a few weeks in the city, it seems somewhat apparent that a historic shift is underway in Chicago. For a century, things moved North, money power, jobs, from the previously elevated South Side. I think we are witnessing the very beginnings of another shift, this time back south.

The rise of the South Loop (and even West Loop, as that is bringing energy south)
The ongoing growth of Chinatown, with the new Chinatown connector, integrating that South Side neighborhood with downtown
The rise of Pilsen, and even Bridgeport and Canaryville
IIT's determination to become more than just an afterthought
Bronzeville's ongoing redevelpment
Hyde Park's neverending renaissance
And further south, the beginning of integration in the South Shore neighborhood, the blank slate of the South Works lakefront, and the appeal of an Indiana governed slice of Chicagoland in Northwest Indiana....new air service at Gary etc.

Geography has always favored the South Side....seems to me, it's more than that now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 AM

867 posts, read 1,373,210 times
I agree! Rental pricing will definitely help make that happen. I hear complaints constantly about being priced out of the Northside or someone wanting more space for their money.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Hyde Park is not a bargain, the relative safety and high cost are a bit of chicken and egg situation, matters less about which comes first as you generally can't have one without the other...

Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
disclaimer...native Chicagoan, from the North Side, lived abroad for two decades, returned to Gary.

Just returned to Chicago area after two decades abroad, and chose to invest in the Miller Beach community of NWI. Many many reasons....but

after ubering for a few weeks in the city, it seems somewhat apparent that a historic shift is underway in Chicago. For a century, things moved North, money power, jobs, from the previously elevated South Side. I think we are witnessing the very beginnings of another shift, this time back south.

The rise of the South Loop (and even West Loop, as that is bringing energy south)
The ongoing growth of Chinatown, with the new Chinatown connector, integrating that South Side neighborhood with downtown
The rise of Pilsen, and even Bridgeport and Canaryville
IIT's determination to become more than just an afterthought
Bronzeville's ongoing redevelpment
Hyde Park's neverending renaissance
And further south, the beginning of integration in the South Shore neighborhood, the blank slate of the South Works lakefront, and the appeal of an Indiana governed slice of Chicagoland in Northwest Indiana....new air service at Gary etc.

Geography has always favored the South Side....seems to me, it's more than that now...
I think Pilsen and Bridgeport will continue to gentrify. Hyde Park will remain Hyde Park. Absent a resurgence in Chicago's employment base, I don't see much else changing down there except for continued depopulation. Chicago needs a shot of jobs in the arm. There's a few good signs but right now the picture with all of the pension issues is murky.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM

152 posts, read 495,353 times
I've always considered Miller Beach to be a diamond-in-the-rough, just waiting to be "discovered." It seemed to be well on its way, too, particularly with the East Edge development a few years back at Oak and County Line Rd. When the housing bubble hit, though, everything kind of ground to a halt. I'd be curious to hear one or two of your "many many reasons" for investing there.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:04 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
The far south/southwest side around the port and dump will never be nice. There's too much heavy industry.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I have to say that even I was amazed when I read this -- Gary has nowhere near the debt of bankrupt Detroit

Then again there is -- Five Reasons Chicago Is in Worse Shape Than Detroit - Bloomberg Business

Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM

403 posts, read 930,446 times
I truly think it will. I've always thought this. As was mentioned, there is a saturation point with the North side. You see it now with pockets of the south and west sides gentrifying that many never would have dreamed of 10-15 years ago. There is also a very rich history to the south side, and some beautiful neighborhoods. Hyde Park, Kenwood, Bridgeport and Pilsen are a few of my favorite neighborhoods in this city.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
City reduced its debt by almost 30%. Not counting the school system which is separate. That debt should continue to decrease esp now since Gary has been adding to its taxbase.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:11 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagodan View Post
I've always considered Miller Beach to be a diamond-in-the-rough, just waiting to be "discovered." It seemed to be well on its way, too, particularly with the East Edge development a few years back at Oak and County Line Rd. When the housing bubble hit, though, everything kind of ground to a halt. I'd be curious to hear one or two of your "many many reasons" for investing there.
Will always love da g but Miller has always been somewhat stable. Pop always around 10k since the 70's. So even though you have people moving out, you still have people moving in. Indiana dunes make it hard to develop there as it swallows a lot of Miller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago