Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

27 posts, read 96,079 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

(waves)

I'm a college graduate (well, in may) whose relocating from Texas for a non-profit job. I don't have a car as I haven't needed one in the area I currently live.

My job is going to be in downtown close to the Sears Tower. I'd like to live close to downtown as possible. (Or at least, close to a public transit stop that's relatively safe to take in the late evening.)

I know there are a dozen threads on safe neighborhoods already, but searching 'Living in downtown Chicago' didn't really turn up anything useful.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher Bearkat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Tip #1: nobody lives downtown. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the main legal/fiancial/business district which the Sears Tower is part of just plain empties out by 7pm and tumbleweeds blow down the street. There isn't much residential in that immediate area.

Tip #2: any line that will give you access to the elevated "loop" train tracks through downtown will give you access to a stop about one block from the Sears Tower. The lines that run on the Loop train and will stop within one block are the Brown, Pink, Orange and Purple lines. The lines that will give you access via transfer at one of the connected stations is the Blue and Red lines that run underground through downtown and the Green Line which runs on the elevated loop but only on half of it, namely the half that does not stop near the Sears Tower.

Tip #3: the neighborhoods you're most likely to find people of your age and educational attainment are Lincoln Park, Lakeview/Wrigleyville, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Roscoe Village, Andersonville, and Lincoln Square. All of these are served by CTA train lines that will get you to within one block of the Sears Tower either directly (Lakeview, Lincoln Park Roscoe Village and Lincoln Square served by the Brown and/or Purple Lines) or by transfer (Andersonville served by the Red Line with easy transfer to the Brown Line -- you won't even have to leave the platform -- and Bucktown/Wicker Park served by the Blue Line, transfer to the Orange Line at Clark/Lake or just hoof it for about 10 minutes from the Jackson stop). There should be plenty of information on these neighborhoods using the search function. If you have additional questions, let us know.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Listen to Drover, Chris. He's the best we've got when it comes to this stuff.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks a ton, this really helps alot!

(runs over to google earth to track things down)

Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM

I'll throw in one other thing, too. As you'll be working near the Sears Tower, you'll be close to Ogilvie and Union Stations downtown. If finances mean you can't get as close to downtown as you'd like, you may be able to find a place near a Metra stop. I ride the UP North from Ravenswood to Ogilvie all the time. It takes me 15 minutes to get downtown, when it would take 35-40 on the el.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM

I've been looking at the place on google earth and it turns out I'm right on the Purple Line (S. Dearborne) and really close to a stop.

So it seems like the commute won't be too big of a problem.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherBearkat View Post
I've been looking at the place on google earth and it turns out I'm right on the Purple Line (S. Dearborne) and really close to a stop.

Yeah, the Purple and Brown lines share a track. The Purple line only runs at rush hours, though. It makes local stops from the loop to Belmont, but then runs express up to Evanston. The Brown line makes the same stops as the Purple line up to Belmont, and then heads northwest into West Lakeview, Roscoe Village, North Center, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, and Albany Park.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 AM

To clarify, the Purple Line only runs south of the Evanston/Chicago border (the Howard stop) at rush hours. It still runs north of Howard more or less all hours of the day.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherBearkat View Post

Where is this? Dearborn and Lake?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM

If it's South Dearborne, one imagines it's more toward Dearborne and Monroe/Jackson/Van Buren/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago