Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:25 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park 309 View Post
The far west side of the city sucks. The far south side of the city sucks.
Speak for yourself. The entire west side is more accessible to downtown than some places on the north side. If the west side had LP/LV residents in it, you'd be singing its praises.

Funny how the far south side didn't suck decades ago when white people lived there. I'm sure many of the former residents would describe it as a wonderful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,952,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park 309 View Post

I want to know, as a person who has lived in the alleged INTER city, what does inner city mean? Is it a liberal code word for black neighborhoods?

If so, why do we give it a fake name like inner city? Are you afraid to call it a black or bad neighborhood?
Inner City is indeed a code word for Black Neighborhoods; Nobody would call Lincoln Park the Inner City. "We" give it a fake name because people are too sensitive to call it what it is. It's pretty simple, but most wouldn't flat out say it: White Chicago is pretty awesome, Black Chicago is awful.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 11,402 times
The real issue is that if you are an educated upper middle class black Chicagoan there are not a lot of options of places to live. 9 times out of 10 if you were born and raised here your family lives west or south. There are only a few really nice neighborhoods on those sides of town. So, if you want to be close to your family then you are stuck to those few neighborhoods for living. Although you might shop, eat, hangout all over the city the black belt as far as living is still present today.

Either live in an all Black area or stay far from your family to be the token black guy in a all white area. Your uncomfortable in both places! That's why wealthier blacks are leaving because your options are so limited. I would love to live around people that I went to grad school with or people I work with but they live on one side of town and everyone else I know (that's black) live on another.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeardmba View Post
The real issue is that if you are an educated upper middle class black Chicagoan there are not a lot of options of places to live. 9 times out of 10 if you were born and raised here your family lives west or south. There are only a few really nice neighborhoods on those sides of town. So, if you want to be close to your family then you are stuck to those few neighborhoods for living. Although you might shop, eat, hangout all over the city the black belt as far as living is still present today.

Either live in an all Black area or stay far from your family to be the token black guy in a all white area. Your uncomfortable in both places! That's why wealthier blacks are leaving because your options are so limited. I would love to live around people that I went to grad school with or people I work with but they live on one side of town and everyone else I know (that's black) live on another.
Are you trying to infer that race is the only deciding factor on whether people can relate to one another or not?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 11,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Are you trying to infer that race is the only deciding factor on whether people can relate to one another or not?
No Im saying the history of this city's segregation makes it difficult to for me to live near the diverse group of friends, colleagues and old classmates that I have. In Chicago its either all white or all black. There are a couple of neighborhoods that are mixed but not many. Its hard for me to relate to some uneducated, lower middle class blacks in so many ways, so its not based on race.

There are not many neighborhoods for people like me in Chicago, if I want to live West or South. Hyde Park, Beverly, West Town, E. Humboldt Park (maybe) are the only choices for people like me. Its really heartbreaking that this city is so segregated!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeardmba View Post
No Im saying the history of this city's segregation makes it difficult to for me to live near the diverse group of friends, colleagues and old classmates that I have. In Chicago its either all white or all black. There are a couple of neighborhoods that are mixed but not many. Its hard for me to relate to some uneducated, lower middle class blacks in so many ways, so its not based on race.

There are not many neighborhoods for people like me in Chicago, if I want to live West or South. Hyde Park, Beverly, West Town, E. Humboldt Park (maybe) are the only choices for people like me. Its really heartbreaking that this city is so segregated!
I don't think you really understood my point. Let's say you moved to some area of....Wicker Park which is like 70% white let's say. How are you so quick to judge other people that they won't accept you merely because you aren't part of the majority? I'm not saying there won't be conflict, but are you in some areas enough to know that you won't be welcomed, or are you just assuming that because you might be in the minority, that the people are automatically racist and bigoted?

I'm not trying to point fingers or anything - just trying to understand your own thought process.

By the way, here's a few census tracts in downtown where things are a little different than what you might think:
* http://www.usa.com/IL031081700-income-and-careers.html = 10.3% Black. Black households have the highest Median Household Income of any racial group and $15K greater than White. In fact, the Asian group, at 13% of the population has a MHHI of $7000/year more than the White group.

* http://www.usa.com/IL031320100-income-and-careers.html = Lakeshore East = 7.2% Black. MHHI is 2nd highest of any group and less than $4000 lower than the top group.

* http://www.usa.com/IL031081600-income-and-careers.html = Only 3.5% black, but also by far the highest MHHI. In fact, it's almost $50,000 greater than the White group there. In fact, the White group has the lowest MHHI in this tract of any racial group. The Asian population is 13.6% and has a MHHI of $25,000 greater than the white group.

* http://www.usa.com/IL031081500-income-and-careers.html = Only 3.4% black, but the MHHI is 2nd highest (to White) and less than $3000 from the top spot.

And as far as the question in the title of the thread - yes it still effects the city today and the city is still, with the exception of a handful of areas, fairly segregated.

Last edited by marothisu; 10-02-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't think you really understood my point. Let's say you moved to some area of....Wicker Park which is like 70% white let's say. How are you so quick to judge other people that they won't accept you merely because you aren't part of the majority? I'm not saying there won't be conflict, but are you in some areas enough to know that you won't be welcomed, or are you just assuming that because you might be in the minority, that the people are automatically racist and bigoted?

I'm not trying to point fingers or anything - just trying to understand your own thought process...
I can't speak for anyone else but myself on this issue.

Before relocating to Chicago, I never made a huge issue with demographics although I wanted to be comfortable with my move. I have so many stories of racists encounters living in a predominantly White area of Chicago and have heard so many stories that represents a really negative Black experience for many that most places wouldn't give.

I know of many friends and family who live in mostly White areas throughout the country and dont have any problems. So I do understand the reason behind your question. I don't have a reason behind why Chicago gave me what it gave me but its one of those places that I will never forget. That makes your question harder to answer. I have a rule that I established after living in Chicago. No less than 10% Black no more than 80% one race. Its insane the number of places in Chicago that will not fit my criteria compared to the number that will in other cities. Many non Blacks in Chicago don't see the segregation issue as a problem. The ones who do recognize it are like OK, we are segregated but not in a bad way. We are not racists. When you have so many with limited experience in living, working and socializing with Black people, it impacts how they treat the few who shop in their businesses and move next door. I've lived in St. Louis for a year and a half and can't remember when I was the only Black person in a bar regardless of the type of music or clientele. I cant say the same with Chicago. I'm not trying to paint a picture of St. Louis being without racism but there is a difference.

To answer your question, you would have to experience the Black community in Chicago and then go to a different city to try to capture the same experience and you'll see the difference.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
It's not a Chicago thing. It's an American thing. You see the same thing all over the country. Chicago is not special.
Completely true. Philadelphia and St. Louis, for examples (but not the only ones), have their own versions of concentrated 98% Black populations like Chicago's Englewood.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
It's not a Chicago thing. It's an American thing. You see the same thing all over the country. Chicago is not special.
what's no a Chicago thing? as the OP, my suggestion was that Chicago alone had put together massive zones (virtually cities-within-the-city) where its black population lived. the term used was the "black belt", mainly speaking of the South Side although a smaller one grew on the west side.

I can't think of any other city where this type of development took place. in most cities, there would be a black neighborhood here, another one there, but they didn't form any sort of a solid block.

now I do know that some cities (Detroit, Washington, etc.) became overwhelmingly black so I see that as another issue. but I can't think of any but Chicago with those large blocks of land that literally became "dead zones".

Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Completely true. Philadelphia and St. Louis, for examples (but not the only ones), have their own versions of concentrated 98% Black populations like Chicago's Englewood.
It is also true as well that they have more areas that are gentrified or established at 20 30 50% Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago