Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM

215 posts, read 350,795 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on buying a property in the next year or so, and I don't know if I should look for a property with radiators or not. I like having window unit air conditioning because I feel it's more efficient when no one is home.

I've always rented apartments with radiators with the exception of a few months I spent with a friend who had central air. I know that since water is usually metered per building, the HOA will charge for water (and essentially radiant heat) with my HOA dues. My question is whether or not anyone who has owned both a property with radiant heat and central heat noticed a difference in price between the two.

I plan on keeping the thermostat at 67 or so if I have central air, and I suspect since I like it so cool, I may be overpaying with the HOA dues if I were to buy a property with radiant heat. All winter I have had either one or two of the three radiators on, so my concern is I will be paying for my neighbors to have radiant heat. But will I still spend less overpaying the HOA than I would paying People's Gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
It all depends upon the kind of heat you like. I have had base-board heat, electric furnace, radiator, gas forced air, and hot water heat. I have also had the combo furnace and air conditioning. In the winter each warmd different. Given a choice I much prefer the baseboard heat and window air because you only need it where you live. If I am asleep I do not need to heat or cool unused rooms except the bath. If I am awake I do not need to heat and cool bedrooms. .

The other half of the equation is how well the unit you rent is insulated. the size of the rooms, and age of X. Large rooms, not well insulated are hard to heat. Poorly insulated buildings can cost as much as 3x more to heat and cool. Old single pane windows and a 30 year old furnace is a receipe for a big utility bill. I say this because once the windows in my house were replaced, as was the furnce and air conditioner, and new insulation was installed my utility bill of over $300 dropped to $125, and even less when the furnace does not run in the spring and fall.

The coldest house I was even in druing the winter had heat registers near the ceiling. Since heat rises, I an sure the plaster was toasty warm, but the rest of the room was colder than the balls on a Civil War brass monkey that held them. .

Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Not exactly sure what you question really is. From a very high level it is possible to have very efficient hydronic heat and equally efficient forced air heat. There are all kinds of modern buildings that have LEED certification with either.

The LEAST efficient kind of cooling system is a window unit! It uses far more energy and LEAKS far more air year round than any centrally installed system.

If you are considering buying a condo that has hydronic heat there are all kinds of questions that you should ask -- the age of the main "heating plant" can be crucial in determining both it baseline efficiency in burning fuel as well the likelihood that it will being nearing its useful life. Many older condos had to replace outdated oil fired heating plants with more modern gas fired equipment. If the reserves were not properly managed that could result in a large special assessment to all units.

The correct way to look at this is NOT "my neighbors will be freeloading off my desire to have less warm apartment" but to look at the history of the reserve funds / maintenance and general assessments -- if you do not have an agent to help you do this you can end up with nasty surprises...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago