Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 PM

122 posts, read 271,106 times

Advertisements

I drove from Texas to Chicago a few months ago. I asked a toll both cashier if I can use my Texas Toll tag for the e-zpass lane and he told me YES. After I came back home, I received $86 fine. I sent an appeal letter and explained everything however they still want me to pay it. What should I do now? Ignore the fine or pay it although it's not fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
my guess is you can safely ignore it. If you get any more they might send it to a collections agency but most likely all that will happen is they will send you threatening letters periodically.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accent2010 View Post
I drove from Texas to Chicago a few months ago. I asked a toll both cashier if I can use my Texas Toll tag for the e-zpass lane and he told me YES. After I came back home, I received $86 fine. I sent an appeal letter and explained everything however they still want me to pay it. What should I do now? Ignore the fine or pay it although it's not fair?
Of course they want you to pay it. You'd think with all the predatory ticketing they could solve their fiscal nightmare.

The only issue is if TX and IL have a reciprocal agreement with each other whereby IL could "tell" on you and TX could give you grief when it comes to renewing your tags. And vice versa if you lived in IL and got ticketed in TX. But I doubt these two particular states have such an agreement. Might be worth looking into. I know a friend of mine in MO had a problem with unpaid tolls in Dallas and had trouble renewing tags in MO because of it.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,547 times
Wow, somebody deleted MSchemist80's 2nd post. And it was really good...

Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Here is a list of systems with agreements to use IPass. I don't see Texas on it.Using I-PASS on Other Toll Roads - www.illinoistollway.com

Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Terrible advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Just Ignore it. Its not like Chicago can do anything about it barring you don't visit again anytime soon.
The State of Illinois has full cooperative agreements to collecting debts owed it -- the OP is fully liable of the debt and it will not be discharged even in bankruptcy. The fines will grow at an escalating rate and the OP's will see their credit ruined.

Violation Enforcement - www.illinoistollway.com

Quote:
What if I have filed for bankruptcy or have been declared bankrupt, do I still have to pay my toll evasion fines?
If you filed a Chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy like civil fines and penalties imposed for parking tickets and other government issued violation notices, toll evasion fines are not dischargeable under section 523 (1)(7) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. Furthermore, the federal courts have held that the fine or penalty need not be imposed in judicial proceeding and may be imposed by way of an administrative proceeding, such as the Tollway's Administrative Hearings.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Wow, somebody deleted MSchemist80's 2nd post. And it was really good...
Actually I did because I wasn't sure it was correct. I posted a link that showed a toll collections transponder/tag that is advertised to work in both Illinois and Texas but I don't think it was what the OP had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago