Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 AM

18 posts, read 19,845 times

Advertisements

If so, how do you like it?

I am currently in Northern Indiana but there are very few job opportunities in my field in the area. I thought about expanding my search to Chicago but not too crazy about the idea of a 90+ minute commute each way. Thought about moving to the city (or at least closer) but have always lived in suburban areas. To those of you who made the move, how do you like it and do you have any regrets? Debating whether to move to Chicago or a smaller "big city" like Indianapolis. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by apollo5427; 04-02-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
I believe the vast majority of people who moved to Chicago, moved from a smaller city.

By population and in the U.S., aren't the only 2 exceptions L.A. and NYC?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 19,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
I believe the vast majority of people who moved to Chicago, moved from a smaller city.

By population and in the U.S., aren't the only 2 exceptions L.A. and NYC?
Okay, bad wording. So any other feedback?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:52 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo5427 View Post

I am currently in Northwest Indiana but there are very few job opportunities in my field in the area. I thought about expanding my search to Chicago but not too crazy about the idea of a 90+ minute commute each way. Thought about moving to the city (or at least closer) but have always lived in suburban areas. To those of you who made the move, how do you like it and do you have any regrets? Debating whether to move to Chicago or a smaller "big city" like Indianapolis. Any feedback would be appreciated.
How small is your town? You can find a suburban location in the Chicago area that will fit your need for a *smaller* town and a shorter commute, but it will depend on where you find work, so you need to to that first.

I am not sure why you think there are no suburban areas in the Chicago area that would fit your needs.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:28 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Are you single? Do you have kids? Can you live in a multi-unit building or are you only willing to live in detached housing?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
I grew up in a town of 560 people. I went to college in a town of 5,000 people.

I love Chicago.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:56 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo5427 View Post

I am currently in Northern Indiana but there are very few job opportunities in my field in the area. I thought about expanding my search to Chicago but not too crazy about the idea of a 90+ minute commute each way. Thought about moving to the city (or at least closer) but have always lived in suburban areas. To those of you who made the move, how do you like it and do you have any regrets? Debating whether to move to Chicago or a smaller "big city" like Indianapolis. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Are you seriously asking us whether you prefer chocolate ice cream or vanilla ice cream?

Yea, not everybody is only a farm person or only a city person. I guess there are people that are in between! Or both equally.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:29 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,864,201 times
Chicago's great. You can find anything you want here. I grew up in St. Louis and there is no comparison.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
There are many beautiful suburban areas in Chicago. You can find a place and fit in well. I think we have better places than northern Indiana here, but the costs will be higher. I think Chicago has some of the most beautiful suburbs in the world but many of the top ones come at a high price. Still there are more modest places to live. I agree you will need to find a job first. I suggest you continue to consult this forum for places to live once you know that. I also suggest you get in your car and take a drive to the Chicago area. Not downtown but go to some of the suburbs. You can do it on a day trip or weekend trip to see what you like. I suggest one trip you explore the northern (most expensive) suburbs. Go up Sheridan Road to Evanston, Wilmette, Highland Park, etc. You may not live there but its something to see and get a feel for. Drive along the lake, stop in the parks, and have lunch. Then you can easily drive back to Indiana. This could be done in one day or a weekend. Next time you visit, I suggest you visit the western suburbs, stop in La Grange, Riverside, go west to Downers Grove, Wheaton. Go to Naperville, stop for lunch. This will give you the feel for some of the top places. It also depends on your budget and job. If you can't afford these spots, the people on the board here can advise you of budget places to look near these areas.

For contrast, on another weekend, you might want to see some city neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Logan Square or Lincoln Square. If you have explored all these areas you will get a feel for the places there are to live. There is much much more than I am recounting here but these are places to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago