Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, some luck. To live in Elgin which is 95% in Kane County, and yet to live in that tiny sliver in Cook County and get summoned all the way down there... I don't think it's possible to live any further from 26th and California and still be in Cook County.
Probably not, but they could still end up going to Markham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Probably not, but they could still end up going to Markham.
Heh... and right about then is when I'd kindly tell them to get stuffed.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh... and right about then is when I'd kindly tell them to get stuffed.
Now, now be nice when talking to an officer of the court, especially if you have to give them your name.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
You know, jury duty is easier than being drafted. This is civic duty, y'all. Burn a vacation day! Sit and do nothing for eight hours! Travel a far distance to a place you've never been before.

If not, don't complain about crime or consumer ripoffs anymore. Just keep your mouth shut.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Sorry, but it doesn't have to be such a stark either/or choice. Somewhere in between is an alternative, such as "if you're going to summon me to jury duty, why make it at a place it will take 2 hours to get to while I pass 72 other courthouses to get there? Couldn't I serve at one of those instead?"

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You know, jury duty is easier than being drafted. This is civic duty, y'all. Burn a vacation day! Sit and do nothing for eight hours! Travel a far distance to a place you've never been before.

If not, don't complain about crime or consumer ripoffs anymore. Just keep your mouth shut.

I thought you didn't have to burn a vacation day, that your employer had to "let you out"...not pay you, though....so I guess if you don't want to settle for the (is it...) app. $20, yes, you'd have to take a vacation day.

My daught had a good lesson in "reality". She could not believe the public defender she observed, and almost felt sorry for "the accused" having to use this guy (she was just an observer, never did get asked one question OR to serve....)....also she mentioned (I'm trying to be tactful here....) the LARGE NUMBER of "government" "employees" who appeared to be doing....nothing. Some of the sob stories about "don't make me serve because......" were pretty out there......Dickens level.

She got her summons RIGHT AFTER registering to vote.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:55 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
I don't know about the public defenders who are minimially qualified but I can tell you about the idle government workers. Its like the construction workers you see leaning on their shovels. They can only get busy at certain times after co-workers finish their tasks.

I really was mad at a assistant state's attorney who could not talk to me at 9 am because she was eating an egg McMuffin and refused the interruption. They usually get off work at 2 pm, by the way.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM

391 posts, read 1,303,542 times
My brother works as a prosecuter and he never gets off at 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago