Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 PM

28 posts, read 39,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
The two IMO don't compare. The only positive I see Indy having over Chicago is COL. Outside of that I would say Chicago wipes the floor with Indianapolis.
Yes cost of living is very reasonable in Indy. A decent apartment can be found for $800. I like the area in Chicago around Wrigley Field but apartments there run approx $1500. The salaries don't seem that much higher in Chicago (at least in IT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, depends on what you're looking for and what your preferences and interests are.
Good question

Opportunities to meet other singles

Job opportunities (IT/software)

I like baseball games and Chicago has the edge but I only go to a few games each year.

I enjoy live music occasionally

Bookstores but those can be found anywhere

Restaurants and bars but usually once ot twice a month
Perhaps I would go more often if I were in the city.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
As far as career growth and networking? Without a doubt Chicago. If you want a low cost living situation then Indy.

Culturally it isn't even close.
I sent a number of resumes to both cities and strangely received more responses from Indy. Chicago seems to be overrun by recruiters

Not into the arts or the like

Old 10-17-2016, 01:27 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno7521 View Post
I sent a number of resumes to both cities and strangely received more responses from Indy. Chicago seems to be overrun by recruiters

Not into the arts or the like
The competition for jobs in Chicago is going to be tougher. I am not exaggerating when I say many resumes will go straight into the trash if you're not from an "elite" school or have quality work experience. Also helps to be local. What's the hangup on working with a recruiter?

Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The competition for jobs in Chicago is going to be tougher. I am not exaggerating when I say many resumes will go straight into the trash if you're not from an "elite" school or have quality work experience. Also helps to be local. What's the hangup on working with a recruiter?

I went to a state school, not an elite school. Good question....had a bad experience with a pushy recruiter. Maybe I am being too harsh on them

Old 10-17-2016, 02:30 PM

216 posts, read 313,763 times
I grew up in Indianapolis and I live in Chicago now. The two cities are not really comparable.

Indy is very sprawled out and you need a car to live there. I have a lot of childhood memories of just sitting in a car, driving around 465, going from point A to point B. Because of this sprawl the city lacks a true urban feel outside a few square blocks around Monument Circle. There's not much public transit and no way to walk anywhere. There also isn't a defining natural feature like the Chicago lakefront or the forests around Seattle; the city is surrounded by corn and soy fields. Culturally, Indy is very much more White, Christian and politically conservative. The social scene (at least in my experience) is centered around Christian churches so if you're not religious it can be hard to meet new people.

Chicago is much more dense, with a real public transit system, and you can get by without a car in many parts of the city. The cultural attractions, food and nightlife are much better. The energy level is higher and the lakefront is stunning. It is an international city with many different races, religions and lifestyles represented, if that is important to you. For me the biggest downsides have to do with Chicago's corrupt government: restrictive firearms laws, high taxes, and renter-favorable tenancy laws.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I went to a state school, not an elite school. Good question....had a bad experience with a pushy recruiter. Maybe I am being too harsh on them
Is it a Big Ten state school? If you're graduating from Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, etc. I don't think you'll be discounted because of your education. Big Ten alumni are a dime a dozen in Chicago, lol.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Indy has worse crime than Chicago, and that's according to the largest Indy newspaper, even:
Chicago, believe it or not, is safer than Indy

Quote:
Some state schools can be elite in certain fields - for example UIUC is elite in computer science. UIndiana-Bloomington is elite in music. UMichigan business school may not be as elite as Harvard, but it is still very highly regarded.

I would say that if you don't find access to global amenities attractive, and don't feel a burning desire to succeed professionally regardless of how some recruiter treats you, you may be better suited for Indy. Indy is cheaper, mostly less competitive, but doesn't have the same global amenities Chicago has. So if you don't care about fine arts, etc, and don't feel like at least speedwalking in your career, why pay the cost of living in Chicago? Chicago has a reputation of being a good value and relaxed - but that's only in comparison to other global places like New York and San Francisco. It's still a lot more expensive than Indy, and alot more fast-faced. Some decide it's worth that. Many others don't. There's nothing wrong with either decision, it's up to you and your preferred lifestyle.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Indy has worse crime than Chicago, and that's according to the largest Indy newspaper, even:
Chicago, believe it or not, is safer than Indy

Some state schools can be elite in certain fields - for example UIUC is elite in computer science. UIndiana-Bloomington is elite in music. UMichigan business school may not be as elite as Harvard, but it is still very highly regarded.

I would say that if you don't find access to global amenities attractive, and don't feel a burning desire to succeed professionally regardless of how some recruiter treats you, you may be better suited for Indy. Indy is cheaper, mostly less competitive, but doesn't have the same global amenities Chicago has. So if you don't care about fine arts, etc, and don't feel like at least speedwalking in your career, why pay the cost of living in Chicago? Chicago has a reputation of being a good value and relaxed - but that's only in comparison to other global places like New York and San Francisco. It's still a lot more expensive than Indy, and alot more fast-faced. Some decide it's worth that. Many others don't. There's nothing wrong with either decision, it's up to you and your preferred lifestyle.
Go Illini!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM

292 posts, read 323,516 times
Quote:
Again...if on vacation, the fast paced city sounds great. Living there could be another story.
But that all depends where you live and work in the city. My father lived in Jefferson Park and worked in Portage Park, two quieter and laid back neighborhoods. In those neighborhoods you have plenty of amenities but they don't feel fast paced at all. IMO that is what makes Chicago a great place to live in regards to options. If you want to live in slower paced neighborhoods within the city there are plenty of those. There are also plenty of medium paced and fast paced neighborhoods too.

Just like when people only think of Manhattan for NYC, people tend to think that downtown Chicago is representative as Chicago as a whole. That is not true. Places like NYC and Chicago have plenty of neighborhoods that are on par in regards to pace with cities like Indianapolis.

The only thing is if you work in downtown it might be hard to escape that, but definitely you can find slower paced living in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago