Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The utter stupidity that is often displayed by commuters on the roadways is beyond depressing -- folks routinely trying to play Words-With-Friends or whatever causing minor collisions and then HOURS worth of tie-ups as the State Police investigate and every imbecile gawks at the spectacle!

I've asked for (and received) a premium for working in locations where the only access is via tollways..
Sounds like this might be a call for ....more mass transit. I mean gawking as a passenger on a commuter rail car wouldn't slow traffic down. Choo-choo enthusiasts unite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 05:38 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,448,148 times
I don't find it depressing overall but it can feel gloomy in the morning when you're in a train full of people with resting ***** face. I know you don't want to be bothered, but damn, walking into a train car and seeing 75 pouty ass grown adults makes me shake my head sometimes.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:36 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I don't find it depressing overall but it can feel gloomy in the morning when you're in a train full of people with resting ***** face. I know you don't want to be bothered, but damn, walking into a train car and seeing 75 pouty ass grown adults makes me shake my head sometimes.
You must not be from Chicago or a big Northern city.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:
I guess since you don't know why 75 people have that look, it would bother you.. perhaps some of them have had a rough time... sickness, loved one died, their pet died, they are about to go to jail, they just lost money and now wondering how to pay the rent. so you don't know what happens. mostly though I think people are just bored to death and have to ride the train, maybe to a job they hate. so that makes sense to look like that, but at least they are quiet, it could be worse, you could have gotten a screamer that screams out why they have a pouty face. you know the kind. those that you wish would shuttup and get off the train coz they are ranting like they are mentally ill and very annoying or maybe drunk. yeah the drunks let you know exactly what they are thinkin.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I guess since you don't know why 75 people have that look, it would bother you.. perhaps some of them have had a rough time... sickness, loved one died, their pet died, they are about to go to jail, they just lost money and now wondering how to pay the rent. so you don't know what happens. mostly though I think people are just bored to death and have to ride the train, maybe to a job they hate. so that makes sense to look like that, but at least they are quiet, it could be worse, you could have gotten a screamer that screams out why they have a pouty face. you know the kind. those that you wish would shuttup and get off the train coz they are ranting like they are mentally ill and very annoying or maybe drunk. yeah the drunks let you know exactly what they are thinkin.
Also does Pete realize that most people just don't have a smile as their default facial expression?

Old 02-03-2017, 07:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Having used subways/el/trains all over the world I can say it's the same all over during the work commutes. 8

Old 02-04-2017, 04:29 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Who would be smiling while commuting to work! Lord knows people do not smile while at work so why smile while going their early each morning. It is the same on Metra s well. Even more so since they raise prices every single year.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Quote:
This was probably pre-2008.

Now, everyone's got their faces on some smartphone. Fingering and texting.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:08 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Yes, I find the CTA depressing. I lived on the Red Line, and commutes were filled with angry, smelly bums blaring "spare some change" and loud, low-class people from Uptown.

Granted, the Red Line is more annoying than the other lines. Brown Line isn't too bad, and doesn't have the bum or thug problem. Also not as painfully crowded.

As others have mentioned, I think the people romanticizing the CTA just got here from Iowa or something. Nothing glamorous about pee smell on your morning commute. Metra is a much more civilized ride.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, I find the CTA depressing. I lived on the Red Line, and commutes were filled with angry, smelly bums blaring "spare some change" and loud, low-class people from Uptown.

Granted, the Red Line is more annoying than the other lines. Brown Line isn't too bad, and doesn't have the bum or thug problem. Also not as painfully crowded.

As others have mentioned, I think the people romanticizing the CTA just got here from Iowa or something. Nothing glamorous about pee smell on your morning commute. Metra is a much more civilized ride.
I am a native and I don't romanticize a damn thing. I grew up taking it and I remember the days there were 3 branches of the blue line lol

But that being said, most cities in the country don't have such a great system like Chicago does. It is great to be able to get by without a car. You can't really do that in a lot of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago