Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,035,878 times

Advertisements

Chance the rapper has a website where you can donate (to help CPS or a couple of other causes)

I would love to see more actual people donate to help out with this.

Chance the Rapper

SocialWorks - Support CPS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM

796 posts, read 941,246 times
only one of my 2 kids is currently in CPS. the other will be attending for the first time next year in the 9th grade. that being said, I have donated to my 7 year old's school by going to costco and providing supplies like reams of paper, hand sanitizer, tissues and paper towels and stuff they need for their classroom directly rather than simply giving money. I take it right in and give it to her teacher.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
only one of my 2 kids is currently in CPS. the other will be attending for the first time next year in the 9th grade. that being said, I have donated to my 7 year old's school by going to costco and providing supplies like reams of paper, hand sanitizer, tissues and paper towels and stuff they need for their classroom directly rather than simply giving money. I take it right in and give it to her teacher.
That's great, but it only benefits your child and her classroom. The idea of Chance's site is to get a lot of us to donate to get that pesky funding issue solved. I don't know if we can do it, but it seems like the more of us who donate, the more we can shame the governor and the state to do something too.

I always buy the school supplies listed for my grandchildren's classroom and usually donate to the project that gives backpacks with supplies to children who need it. I am fortunate to live in a district that does fund the schools reasonably and which has a foundation that also donates things. We have some children who are poor, but many more who are middle class and wealthy and we pay a hefty property tax that goes to our schools. Chicago will be getting a property tax increase that will go to the schools, but having taught at Benito Juarez high school and at Clemente High School, I know that we did not get enough. Teachers were bringing in toilet paper by the end of the year at Juarez. Books were often old and falling apart. Admittedly this was in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but I don't know that it has gotten much better. The pension problem is awful and unless something is done to fund that, I don't know what will happen.

The rating agency suggests things that CPS has rejected:
Ratings agency: Tax hike could fix Chicago school finances | FOX2now.com

Chicago Public Schools Considers Property Tax Increase In Budget Shortfall | The Huffington Post

Old 03-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's great, but it only benefits your child and her classroom. The idea of Chance's site is to get a lot of us to donate to get that pesky funding issue solved. I don't know if we can do it, but it seems like the more of us who donate, the more we can shame the governor and the state to do something too.

I always buy the school supplies listed for my grandchildren's classroom and usually donate to the project that gives backpacks with supplies to children who need it. I am fortunate to live in a district that does fund the schools reasonably and which has a foundation that also donates things. We have some children who are poor, but many more who are middle class and wealthy and we pay a hefty property tax that goes to our schools. Chicago will be getting a property tax increase that will go to the schools, but having taught at Benito Juarez high school and at Clemente High School, I know that we did not get enough. Teachers were bringing in toilet paper by the end of the year at Juarez. Books were often old and falling apart. Admittedly this was in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but I don't know that it has gotten much better. The pension problem is awful and unless something is done to fund that, I don't know what will happen.

The rating agency suggests things that CPS has rejected:
Ratings agency: Tax hike could fix Chicago school finances | FOX2now.com

Chicago Public Schools Considers Property Tax Increase In Budget Shortfall | The Huffington Post
well there was an extensive list of stuff to get prior to the school year which we sent and a lot of that stuff was provided for the entire class.

but I have been getting other stuff in addition to that whenever I find out they need it.

btw, how does a property tax increase solve this? the last property tax increase basically was to fund pension obligations. whats to say they won't do that again?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:48 PM

306 posts, read 368,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
btw, how does a property tax increase solve this? the last property tax increase basically was to fund pension obligations. whats to say they won't do that again?
I was going to respond (and applaud) your other post to say exactly this. At least you know your supplies won't be misused. Unless the teacher sells them on eBay...

Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
I was going to respond (and applaud) your other post to say exactly this. At least you know your supplies won't be misused. Unless the teacher sells them on eBay...
this is exactly my thinking. which is why I have no problem bring supplies or food for the class to use.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM

201 posts, read 283,348 times
Quote:
I am fortunate to live in a district that does fund the schools reasonably and which has a foundation that also donates things. We have some children who are poor, but many more who are middle class and wealthy and we pay a hefty property tax that goes to our schools.
What suburb are you in if you don't mind me asking

Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
What suburb are you in if you don't mind me asking
I am not in Illinois anymore though I wish I was. When I was in the Chicago area, I lived in Evanston. Now I am in Texas and many places are awful, but Pearland is the 7th fastest growing city in the US and we do pretty well. I have moved around a bit. When I moved here 10 years ago, we had about 35,000 people. We now have 135,000. My grandchildren started kindergarten here in Pearland and have done well (the youngest is autistic, but mainstreamed and we are currently having some problems with middle school, but for k-4, it was good for him as well as for his sister). Unfortunately, Texas is uneven in funding and in how the schools do.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,298,763 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, Texas is uneven in funding and in how the schools do.
It is essentially the same in IL, and in many other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago