Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Chicago beachfront have more going on?
Yes 6 37.50%
No 10 62.50%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Beach volleyball tournament? AVP Championships in Chicago | AVP Beach Volleyball

It is sort of surprising to me how seldom people know about Chicago having beaches. I guess some more high profile events does make sense though it probably makes sense to spread it out to less crowded beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:52 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Montrose beach holds concerts (pretty big ones), Mamby on the Beach is a festival that occurs on Oakwood Beach every year. Lots of sporting clubs/leagues play volleyball and other sports on the beaches...I feel like the beaches are well utilized without being taken over by event corporations every weekend

Old 03-25-2017, 09:51 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Here's a list the OP could tell us if it works for him? Got a Chicago beach.

Internal Error <---- don't know why it says this? Link works for me.

I'd say #1 easily for North Ave beach. "Pirate Days"

How about #2 For Montrose beach area? "Water-Skiing Fest"

I can see #4 at setting up more tents next to Oak St Grill tiki-bar. Seen tents there before added for some event. A "Wine Fest Chicago"

#5 don't have to be on the beach. Would love to see them in the air even from southern Grant Park. But might be too dangerous downtown given the accidents of at the mercy of Chicago's lake breezes? Maybe Montrose though?
A --- "Go-Fly-a-Kite Chicago Days" Fest

Easily #6. But might want some more fine sand bought in. I'd like areas for these sectioned off for all summer-long enjoyment to build and view. --- A "Sand Sculptures ALL SUMMER FUN....

#7 already is in the Tall Ship event yearly.

Not saying the city needs more though as inferred? More you have. The more the city needs to provide a means, permits and liabilities to access too. Chicago already spends much more on its Parks and Lakefront then most other cities with even more overall Parks? Just so many it manicures -- to maintain them. Then just wooded space.

I actually take this thread seriously I guess then some others created to claim yen city needs to do something more or better? Just seeing them doable. Doesn't mean they should.

*** Here is a Fest idea for Grant Park a WOODSTOCK ERA Music-Fest to a FOLK-FEST Garfunkel to Peter Paul and Mary ETC. <---- I REALLLLLY LIKE THESE IDEAS FOR 2 OR 1 NEW ONE...

Sandstock. All performances, which are free to the public, are held on two “dueling” stages - the Hippy Dippy Stage and the Flower Power Stage.

Atlantic Coast Kite Festival | Beach Street USA. A Kite-Fest maybe Montrose, North? Liabilities maybe.

*BUT NOT SAYING THE CITY HAS A LACK OF BEACH-FRONT EVENTS. OR NEEDS MUCH MORE and not voting either way in poll.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-25-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM

59 posts, read 128,530 times
Slightly off-topic, but are Chicago beaches free/open "admission"? I'm moving to the area for the summer and just saw something the other day about Evanston beaches requiring a paid "token" but can't find anything similar re: Chicago beaches. Any restrictions on usage other than the dates listed on the CPDbeaches website?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin By View Post
Slightly off-topic, but are Chicago beaches free/open "admission"? I'm moving to the area for the summer and just saw something the other day about Evanston beaches requiring a paid "token" but can't find anything similar re: Chicago beaches. Any restrictions on usage other than the dates listed on the CPDbeaches website?
The beaches in Chicago are open to the public for free as part of the parks system.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin By View Post
City beaches are free. Suburban beaches often have a fee either by the season or by the day - these fees help the suburbs keep the beaches clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago