Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,722,919 times

Advertisements

I moved to Chicago a few months ago and really like living here. The food, the transportation, the lower cost of living (compared to other big cities), and the things to do all make it a great place to live. It's awesome not having to worry about driving everywhere!

However, I often wonder if I'll still like living here in 5 years. Will I get tired of dealing with parking, crazy people, the weather, the ever increasing taxes, and having to buy a smaller house/condo?

Do you still plan on being in Chicago next year? In 5 years? In 10 years?

If you are planning on leaving, where do you anticipate moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:51 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,951,604 times
There are a few other threads like this. There is one on the page now that is similar. You will find a mixed response. Diehards like me who will stay forever, people who can't wait to leave or have left, etc. The grass is always greener on the other side. Despite our high taxes, other large cities comparable such as Los Angeles, and New York have high costs of living also. It unfair to compare Chicago with a place like Tennessee because its way different. If you get sick of crazy people and parking issues you can move to a nice suburb and most of those issues will disappear.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:37 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,711,193 times
Are you here for the long term?

Yep

Old 05-03-2017, 12:53 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,175,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There are a few other threads like this. There is one on the page now that is similar. You will find a mixed response. Diehards like me who will stay forever, people who can't wait to leave or have left, etc. The grass is always greener on the other side. Despite our high taxes, other large cities comparable such as Los Angeles, and New York have high costs of living also. It unfair to compare Chicago with a place like Tennessee because its way different. If you get sick of crazy people and parking issues you can move to a nice suburb and most of those issues will disappear.
This. Most people you'll meet in Chicago love living in Chicago, even though they'll complain about things like taxes or weather. The "are you leaving Chicago/Illinois" threads are way overdone on this site, but that's expected given the topics of discussion around here.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 776,350 times
After 46 years I doubt very much I will ever leave. Although these endless brutal summers do make me think about leaving each year but I haven't yet

Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,994,933 times
Most of the other places in the US I'd like to live in are even more expensive. I'd possibly like to retire overseas (in 10+ years), but not sure I have the guts to do that on my own.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,181,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I moved to Chicago a few months ago and really like living here. The food, the transportation, the lower cost of living (compared to other big cities), and the things to do all make it a great place to live. It's awesome not having to worry about driving everywhere!

However, I often wonder if I'll still like living here in 5 years. Will I get tired of dealing with parking, crazy people, the weather, the ever increasing taxes, and having to buy a smaller house/condo?

Do you still plan on being in Chicago next year? In 5 years? In 10 years?

If you are planning on leaving, where do you anticipate moving?
I've been here for most of the past 22 years. I'm 43, but I've lived in Chicago longer than any city, and in Illinois longer than any other state. I like it a lot and have no plans to move. One can never know the future, though.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:32 AM

672 posts, read 758,758 times
If I manage to get there, it'll be to stay. And it'll be with eyes open: I already own real estate in the city -- I'm paying its property taxes. I know the financial prognosis and how screwy the aldermanic system is. But it's a city worth putting down roots in, IMO. I'd rather do that there in in NYC, being honest.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
It depend how bad it gets. If they raise taxes more I'll look for ways to shield more of my income (more in 401k, not buy house, buy online) and possibly start looking for a job out of state. Otherwise, I definitely plan to leave when I retire.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,932,795 times
I don't live there now, and I might not during my working life, but I still consider it as a viable retirement possibility. Imagine having some sort of residence in Evanston, near the Northwestern campus, on the shore of Lake Michigan..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: