Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 PM

11 posts, read 48,603 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a 32 year old white male and am currently looking at relocating to another city. I'm conservative and run a business out of my home.

I live in a suburb outside of Pittsburgh right now where there isn't much to do and to be honest, the dating scene here is pretty awful. I'm currently looking into the possibility of moving and Chicago popped up on the list...

I was wondering if I might get some feedback on Chicago (or even other city suggestions) from everyone...

Things that are important to me:

- A favorable ratio of females to males
- Friendly women who are not snooty or aloof
- A walkable downtown area with coffeeshops, restaurants, etc. (I would prefer to live in the city, perhaps a loft)
- Not a fan of high taxes (I don't know anyone who is, but I thought I would throw this out there )
- Good shopping
- Plenty of things to do at night outside of bars and nightclubs

I'm not a big fan of the nasty weather that Chicago gets, but could deal with it. What do you think?

TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 02:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
I think it sounds exactly what youre looking for, minus the taxes. There are alot of snobby women here, but many that arent. Winters here are colder by a slight bit, but its also alot sunnier than Pittsburgh which you might find enjoyable. The downtown and many neighborhoods are thee definition of walkable and the nightlife is incredible. Shopping is world class and is mind-boggling at times, even to me who has been to Chicago more times than I can count.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,145 times
Taxes are high. I'm same as ya but one year older. Chicago is massively liberal but I've nver had a prob cause of being conservative. I've had some great discussions but no arguements. Everywhere I've gone I been meetin great people. Met like 7 new friends at a bar and at the concert last friday. Maybe I've just been lucky but I'm always meetin great people here. More so then anywhere else I've lived.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
Taxes are high. I'm same as ya but one year older. Chicago is massively liberal but I've nver had a prob cause of being conservative. I've had some great discussions but no arguements. Everywhere I've gone I been meetin great people. Met like 7 new friends at a bar and at the concert last friday. Maybe I've just been lucky but I'm always meetin great people here. More so then anywhere else I've lived.
I don't know about that. I moved from Boston which has a state income tax rate of 5% to Illinois with a rate of 3%. Many states have much higher income tax rates. Given my relatively high income, we're saving a lot more in state income tax than we spend in extra sales or property tax. It all depends on your personal financial situation.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
About the only thing I get tired of here as a conservative (other than one-party rule, and lousy rule at that) is the assumption many people make that everyone around them is liberal. Thus some feel at liberty to spout stupid cartoonish one-dimensional views of conservatism and/or conservatives without any concern for whether someone might take offense. I've learned to just bite my tongue, roll my eyes and let it slide.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
About the only thing I get tired of here as a conservative (other than one-party rule, and lousy rule at that) is the assumption many people make that everyone around them is liberal. Thus some feel at liberty to spout stupid cartoonish one-dimensional views of conservatism and/or conservatives without any concern for whether someone might take offense. I've learned to just bite my tongue, roll my eyes and let it slide.
That happened to me last night at the Hawks game. Two boneheads next to me were not only NOT paying attention to the game, but insisted on talking about how everything conservatives value is "wrong" pretty much. I wanted to tell them to can it, but did like you do... rolled my eyes and tried to block em out as best as I could.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:05 PM

Just bring up the fact that no reublican run cities have a 10 percent sales tax. And that the 3 most corrupt cites are all ran by democrats. That usally shuts em up.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
'Bout the same thing that I learned to do growing up as a left-leaner in South Carolina. Chicago isn't unique in that regard, but if you're super thin-skinned when it comes to politics, it'll be somewhere between annoying and unbearable.

It also depends on the neighborhood. Andersonville and Boystown, with their large gay populations, aren't going to be the best places to have a block party in honor of Reagan's Birthday. Lincoln Square, where I live, is popular among the Subaru-and-Granola set, so people are generally fairly liberal.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 48,603 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone...

To the other single guys... do you think it would be difficult to meet nice looking, friendly women who will be open to dating a newcomer to the city (and one that doesn't have a large social network in the area)? I know that some cities can certainly be more challenging than others in that department.

Also, due to the fact that I work from home, meeting people can be a bit tougher for me when compared to those who are in a traditional work environment. Do you feel this would be an issue in Chicago for someone who isn't really into the bar/nightclub scene?

Thanks again for the advice,

TJ

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM

Concerts have worke good for me meeting people. We've been havin gettin togethers with forum members but don't look like its happening this month. Seem to notice a lot of strangers talkin at coffee shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago