Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:15 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

Pizza by the slice is really a NY thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:42 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Pizza by the slice is really a NY thing...
That's why this was worth asking.
Since it's rare.
and we deserve to know.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong1991 View Post
Salerno's on grand and racine, Phil's in Bridgeport, Ignotz does have a killer pizza although they aren't a pizzeria. Falco's in Brighton Park, Fox's in Beverley, Vito and Nicks in Ashburn, Original Home Run Inn by 31st and Kostner, Villa Nova in Stickney near Pershing and Harlem, Obbie's on Archer by Midway.
Home Run Inn frozen pizzas are the best frozen pizzas in my opinion. Beat the pants out of Digiornos or any of those other frozen brands.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 AM

426 posts, read 334,309 times
Nick & Vito's on the southwest side for thin crust. Phil's in Bridgeport and Obbie's on the southwest side for regular crust. Giordano's, located throughout the city, for stuffed. Just outside the city, Phil's in Oak Lawn and Villa Nova in Stickney make some very good pizzas.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:20 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Only wimps buy by the slice. The pizza you're looking for is at Blaze on Belmont.
The guy's looking for a Chicago pizza experience and you recommend a California-based national chain? Blaze is pleasantly edible for what it is, but come on.

OP, the problem is that Chicago thin crust is not built to be sold by the slice, it's too thin. Pizza by the slice has to be a little thicker to keep from going limp when you pick it up. Probably the closest you'll find is Art of Pizza in Lakeview. I don't do by-the-slice very much so I don't have a big basis of comparison, but the best by-the-slice I've tried in Chicago so far is Dante's, however they're more of an East coast/New York style than Chicago style. I don't know the exact neighborhood but I think it's in Logan Square.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
OP, the problem is that Chicago thin crust is not built to be sold by the slice, it's too thin. Pizza by the slice has to be a little thicker to keep from going limp when you pick it up. Probably the closest you'll find is Art of Pizza in Lakeview. I don't do by-the-slice very much so I don't have a big basis of comparison, but the best by-the-slice I've tried in Chicago so far is Dante's, however they're more of an East coast/New York style than Chicago style. I don't know the exact neighborhood but I think it's in Logan Square.
This is probably one of the main reasons it's cut into squares. A square is smaller than a slice, and can withstand being picked up. It's also too hard to be folded and held in one hand, like New York slices. So squares it is.

I, personally, don't have a preference for specific brands with thin crust pizza (like I do with deep dish, in which case, it's Lou Malnati's). Thin crust pizza is often served in settings involving alcohol, so the taste of pizza is often dulled, anyway.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:04 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Spacca Napoli has amazing thin-crust pizza. Piece pizza in Wicker park is really good thin-crust pizza joint too. I know you can buy pizza by the slice at Piece. I'm pretty sure that Spacca Napoli doesn't sell by the slice.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 PM

123 posts, read 119,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Is this even a question....

L O U ' S
Yes it is a question the question would be what is Chicago thin style pizza. Lou's crust is yo gourmet or unique from any other Chicago thin pizza I am not sure what you call it it's is good could be tastier.

I grew up on rosatis thin, and geridonos deep. Geridonos has a good thin.

I feel Chicago style thin should be not to crisp not ultra thin cheese is sloppy and kind if a lot of cheese with green pepper onion and sausage. Cut in squared .

I just think after having Lou's this weekend there crust disqualifies it from Chicago style . I am not sure what Chicago style us but I would say like rosatis, Pete's on western , papas in Bolingbrook, Tortorice's on Irving. Garibaldi's in Hoffman estates.

But anyways what is the exact definition of Chicago style thin . I know I like to through some gardinera , parmesan , oregino but some don't need it.

I also noticed garidonis and Lou manatis is not as good since they started opening so many locations.

I have yet to try pequads on my list but getting deep dish.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM

123 posts, read 119,850 times
I don't think by the slice would be Chicago style Chicago style you get a whole pizza cut in squares if you have no friends or family you have pizza for breakfast and lunch next day . Slices is a new york thing. Anywas most places with slices is old pizza. And they heat it up.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The best breakfast on the planet is cold pizza. Pies, no slices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago