Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:02 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
That sounds about right. Maybe it's not that much but it's apparently enough to keep an invisible wall that goes from Howard to 35th Street and Western (or Kimball up north) to the Lake though!
Then there are people like me who make that amount of money and simply choose not to live within that "invisible wall". That could change in the near future though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,481,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Then there are people like me who make that amount of money and simply choose not to live within that "invisible wall". That could change in the near future though.
I'm curious to see the results of my poll! I'm not right on everything but my gut is normally pretty good. I will bet the vast majority live within that invisible wall.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:15 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,291,219 times
Quote:
That sounds about right. Maybe it's not that much but it's apparently enough to keep an invisible wall that goes from Howard to 35th Street and Western (or Kimball up north) to the Lake though!
People move to Chicago for cosmopolitan, urban experiences they couldn't get where they came from.

I never understand this criticism anymore than pointing a figure at someone and saying "You *never* visit Glenn Elyn!"

I mean aside from the odd restaurant or attraction, there is not a terrible lot of reason for most people to familiarize themselves beyond the parameters you describe.

I don't even really like the leafy, far north neighborhoods. I mean they are nice, but if I wanted to stay on a quiet, tree lined residential street surrounded by hundreds of other tree-lined residential streets, I could live almost anywhere in the United States.

It is what it is. Griping about is like griping that everyone who goes to McDonald's orders a cheeseburger. Yep. That's why they go there.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
People move to Chicago for cosmopolitan, urban experiences they couldn't get where they came from.

I never understand this criticism anymore than pointing a figure at someone and saying "You *never* visit Glenn Elyn!"

I mean aside from the odd restaurant or attraction, there is not a terrible lot of reason for most people to familiarize themselves beyond the parameters you describe.

I don't even really like the leafy, far north neighborhoods. I mean they are nice, but if I wanted to stay on a quiet, tree lined residential street surrounded by hundreds of other tree-lined residential streets, I could live almost anywhere in the United States.

It is what it is. Griping about is like griping that everyone who goes to McDonald's orders a cheeseburger. Yep. That's why they go there.
I mean look man. You just don't see it. I'm not saying that every neighborhood in the city should become like Logan Square and fill up with naked sushi theater joints or whatever that people drive all the way from Naperville to see. What I am saying is that the economic needs of the people on the south and west sides are being completely ignored and they are not being supplied with good paying jobs.

They don't need to be sexy. They just need to provide a solid tax base by being given the tools to climb their way out of their miserable impoverished status. The City needs to change its policies so that we have the fun hip Pilsens of the world, along with a larger core of middle-class residents. We need to get over outmoded ideas that we have to be "pro union," tax the crap out of everything, and maintain our non-service business-stifling climate. We need to compete with the rest of the nation to attract solid blue collar jobs here.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,900,286 times
Quote:
I mean look man. You just don't see it. I'm not saying that every neighborhood in the city should become like Logan Square and fill up with naked sushi theater joints or whatever that people drive all the way from Naperville to see. What I am saying is that the economic needs of the people on the south and west sides are being completely ignored and they are not being supplied with good paying jobs.

They don't need to be sexy. They just need to provide a solid tax base by being given the tools to climb their way out of their miserable impoverished status. The City needs to change its policies so that we have the fun hip Pilsens of the world, along with a larger core of middle-class residents. We need to get over outmoded ideas that we have to be "pro union," tax the crap out of everything, and maintain our non-service business-stifling climate. We need to compete with the rest of the nation to attract solid blue collar jobs here.
People always mention this like it's a simple, magic bullet. Nobody is just going to come in and supply everyone on the South and West sides with a well paying job. That's wishful thinking that is NEVER going to happen.

To make those neighborhoods (or any bad neighborhood) viable, it all starts with drastically REDUCING CRIME drastically and making those neighborhoods SAFE. You do that, THEN you can attract serious investment and opportunities for well paying jobs; you will attract better teachers and it will be easier for kids to get a better education (and hopefully they can serve as positive role models); with safe neighborhoods it will be easier for those communities to go outside and be physically active and healthy; you will attract better/healthier grocery store options and better access to other services; productive citizens could then invest back in the community, making it even stronger, etc.

Bottom line is, this notion of "everything would be better if they just provided well paying jobs to people in bad neighborhoods" isn't based in reality. No companies will make that kind of large scale investment until those neighborhoods are safe.

How do you get those neighborhoods safe? I have no clue..... That's the million dollar question that this city has been dealing with for decades.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:49 AM

Crime stems from poverty and unemployment. I mean if you're talking about investing in factories and safe neighborhoods, we have areas that are virtually completely empty on the south side. My gosh, look at the Chicago South Works site. That is vacant as far as the eye can see! It's creepy it's so vast and empty. Neighborhood crime cannot be blamed for that site's decades long vacancy.

We could reform workers' compensation laws, lower taxes, and provide incentives to encourage companies to redevelop these lands and provide jobs. Come here instead of Indiana or Kentucky.

But we don't because we have to be pro-union, pro-plaintiffs lawyers, and, of course, tax the crap out of "the Rich" to pay for "middle class" public employee voter bases. We need to look at serious reforms aimed at providing a more balanced job base.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
Default It's worse than "tax the rich", it's really about "screwing over anybody that is not an insider"...

Quote:
Crime stems from poverty and unemployment. I mean if you're talking about investing in factories and safe neighborhoods, we have areas that are virtually completely empty on the south side. My gosh, look at the Chicago South Works site. That is vacant as far as the eye can see! It's creepy it's so vast and empty. Neighborhood crime cannot be blamed for that site's decades long vacancy.

We could reform workers' compensation laws, lower taxes, and provide incentives to encourage companies to redevelop these lands and provide jobs. Come here instead of Indiana or Kentucky.

But we don't because we have to be pro-union, pro-plaintiffs lawyers, and, of course, tax the crap out of "the Rich" to pay for "middle class" public employee voter bases. We need to look at serious reforms aimed at providing a more balanced job base.
In my extended circle of family and friends I do know people who do have a tradition of very "blue collar" work -- I am talking men who still work for Ford in South Chicago, others who cart around trucks full of steel and similar building material, people that do work in "manufacturing" sector running or expanding the various refineries that look like an explosion scene from a sci-fi movie -- pretty much of all them have moved from areas like Bridgeport or Hegewisch to areas in NWI. The reason they almost universally cite is wanting to get ahead with having to "know somebody". For folks who see how Chicago politicians continue "fix things" for their pals the day-to-day life in NWI is much more fair.

Neighborhoods where clout results in artificially low property taxes hurt people that are not insiders. The schemes like that have winners and losers. Folks that want a fair shot at life understand that if the live in NWI and send their kids to Purdue or IU Bloomington they'll never have to deal with the corruption of Chicago that permeates the broken mindset of Chicago.

The Tribune series that showed property taxes are HIGHER in lower income areas highlights the sort of mindset that has insiders taking care of their pals regardless of who is "rich" -- the system is set-up so a BILLIONAIRE like JB Pritzker can have his "spare mansion" assessed at a discount rate by yanking out the toilets. The money that he should have paid has to come from poorer less connected suckers...

Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
the system is set-up so a BILLIONAIRE like JB Pritzker can have his "spare mansion" assessed at a discount rate by yanking out the toilets. The money that he should have paid has to come from poorer less connected suckers...
How much do you want to bet me that at least 75% of Chicago votes for him in the next election if he's the Democratic nominee? The voters are remarkably stupid.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,959,118 times
Quote:

Good paying jobs??!! the loop has the highest concentration of high paying jobs in the country outside of new York. Its like 6 miles from the south and west side!!! YOu do realize you have to actually graduate highschool and speak proper English, and show up on time everyday to get a "good paying job" don't you. Its not just handed to you on a silver platter.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,235,751 times
Quote:

I remember when CTA bus drivers were actually full time positions. People had benefits, could actually become homeowners and have a lovely retirement just from being a CTA bus driver. When they decided to make that position part time only, that damaged a lot of people's (especially Black) finances. I forgot why they did this but I remember it left a lot of people in my old hood in a wreck that many of them never recovered from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago