Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

We do know that everybody (and I do mean literally everybody) is abandoning Chicago whose population is heading for "0" by the next decade (although that figure may be a bit conservative and the drop much lower) long before.....gasp!!....Houston passed us up as the third largest city.

So isn't it amazing how many megaprojections are being planned in what is basically a ghost town?

No little plans: More than $20 billion of megaprojects in Chicago's pipeline - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I'd wager that few will be completed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
We do know that everybody (and I do mean literally everybody) is abandoning Chicago whose population is heading for "0" by the next decade (although that figure may be a bit conservative and the drop much lower) long before.....gasp!!....Houston passed us up as the third largest city.

So isn't it amazing how many megaprojections are being planned in what is basically a ghost town?
No serious person really believes that Chicago will drop to ZERO, but it is rapidly showing signs that should cause concern. The long history of Chicago high rise development shows a very unhealthy boom and bust cycle that routinely results in overbuilding and poor allocation of assets.

From the same article:

Quote:
There's no guarantee all, or even most, of the developments will happen. The biggest developments have the most money at stake, and take the most years to complete, making them vulnerable to unforeseen circumstances such as a recession.

"The bigger the project, the lower the probability" of a project being completed
No little plans: More than $20 billion of megaprojects in Chicago's pipeline - Chicago Tribune

The article details the busts that many experienced developers have endured, from the failed Spire to the decades long disaster of Block 37.

It is also telling that unlike major projects in the past that have involved Chicago adding necessary infrastructure to enable the smooth movement of necessary deliveries and such, not Chicago's internal departments are now more likely to just tear down such things and then regret the resulting bottlenecks created -- The Extension and Removal of Ogden Avenue | Forgotten Chicago | History, Architecture, and Infrastructure

The real problem is that despite an abundance of dreamers in the hippest parts of Chicago the city is suffering from decades of neglect that trace back to the incompetence of Daley taking care of his insider pals instead of investing in the City. Sometimes it takes a decade to see these results -- Corruption Scandal Loosening Mayor Daley's Grip on Chicago - The New York Times Sadly now is O'Hare is far behind the other peer airports -- O'Hare growth badly lags peer airports
And the lag in Chicago housing prices compared to other cities means that over a HUNDRED BILLION in equity has leaked out of the area -- Housing recovery lags other big metro areas

Combined with trends that reach well beyond Chicago regarding the pace of Artificial Intelligence replacing once desirable positions with excellent compensation -- The Robots Are Coming for Wall Street it would be foolish to assume that there will be anything that gives planners for our region other than abject terror -- among even the wealthiest in the region jobs losses will be a reality. Most troubling, since the firms that are global leaders in AI are orders of magnitude more capable of putting resources behind their efforts than any of the firms in Chicago -- https://www.inc.com/lisa-calhoun/mit...companies.html Just as a level set, there are well over 10x as many people working for Google / Alphabet in Mountain View (a town that is just a little bigger than Evanston...) vs Chicago which does not have the catchet of even its Ann Arbor office let alone NYC or European locations. Even geeky kids coming out of UIUC will much prefer relocation to places where the looming threats brought on by dysfunctional politics are not a concern -- for the top researchers who don't want to dramatically shake up their lives at Carnegie Mellon or UT Austin those cities also offer Google locations and lower COL...

Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Chet, the Spire developer was not experienced. He was an amateur. And Freed is hardly a top notch developer.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Chet, the Spire developer was not experienced. He was an amateur. And Freed is hardly a top notch developer.
Agreed. I do like the Gensler plan though. For those who may have missed it:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/6/3/...-gateway-tower

Old 06-23-2017, 09:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
I was discussing those projects with a buddy last night. If there was not the backdrop of the recent census, one would think Chicago is America's boomtown. It's unbelievable the amount of large projects and investments going on in the city, probably more than any time in its history. The population loss belies the building going on in this city. If you dig just one layer down, you will notice that this does not equate.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Agreed. I do like the Gensler plan though. For those who may have missed it:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/6/3/...-gateway-tower
You know this is purely a concept and not a formal proposal, right. In other words, the Gensler plan will not be happening. I will say I hope a developer draws on it for inspiration for a bona fide proposal.

Uhhhmmm, hello Related.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Timing is huge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The fate of the Spire and Shelbourne Development / Garrett Kelleher is less about "amatuer" than it was about the unfortunate confluence of events that wiped out his ability to pay for the project -- I'd hardly call a firm that did hundreds of millions in other projects amateur -- Articles about Shelbourne Development Group - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Fact is the nature of dramatic shifts is that they generally come as a SUDDEN shock -- look at the MOUNTAIN of panic that accompanied the rise of the VIX in 2008 -- https://www.google.com/finance?q=IND...Lo_SjAGJwq-wBQ

Another downgrade in Chicago's or Illinois' debt rating could be a similar trigger that would set an unprecedented row of dominoes to falling...

Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You know this is purely a concept and not a formal proposal, right. In other words, the Gensler plan will not be happening. I will say I hope a developer draws on it for inspiration for a bona fide proposal.

Uhhhmmm, hello Related.
Yes, I am aware ROTFL. You can step down off that high horse already, amigo.

Don't act like everyone who peruses these forums has already seen everything posted on the interwebs for every single Chicago project(!)

Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 AM

123 posts, read 119,850 times
yes beautiful buildings are going up that only millionaires will live in and millions of poor who like our skyline will stand in front of these buildings and take pictures of buildings we will never know what is like to live in and a majority will now know what it is like to work in these buildings, unless they are front desk or maintenance.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I was discussing those projects with a buddy last night. If there was not the backdrop of the recent census, one would think Chicago is America's boomtown. It's unbelievable the amount of large projects and investments going on in the city, probably more than any time in its history. The population loss belies the building going on in this city. If you dig just one layer down, you will notice that this does not equate.
Chicago is the third largest U.S. metro, but isn't even in the Top 10 of multifamily units u/c in the U.S. There isn't that much housing being built in Chicago, and certainly not comparable to past decades in Chicago or other U.S. metros.

I mean, the entire South Loop, West Loop, and parts of Streeterville and River North were pretty much a construction zone from the late 90's to around 2008.

For historical standards, this will probably be one of the slowest growth decades in Chicago history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago